Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] NE1 else not impressed with the (potential) looks of the new Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:43 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Default NE1 else not impressed with the (potential) looks of the new Z06?

Now don't get me wrong, I like the look of the C6 and the new Z06 if the lastest blue car is accurate, but it is not what we were expecting, is it? The "even your grandmother will be able to tell them apart" difference. I still want one, will have one some day, I just expected a little more than fender flares and a little hood scoop.

Thank god we have the brembos now, but will the they be six pot like some have posted? Since the caddy is using the 4 pots and in the spy shots it looks like a the 4 pots to me.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I am not sure what people were expecting for "the different look" of the Z06. Any Vette enthusiast will be able to tell immediately IMO.

Look at the ZR1? Even though it had a different body and badging, I bet many had no clue it was different ..................

I really like it. I hope it is like that pci
Old 11-15-2004, 09:46 AM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

I think it looks like a less than $70K car, which is fine with me.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Grandma could tell the difference between a C5 Z06 and its' brethren. Maybe Dave meant she could tell from the g-forces. Anyways, I'll reserve judgement until the un-camo'd photos come in, and we get firm pricing. But so far, I'm not not on board just yet.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

My grandmother recognized the difference right away. She thought it looked just as aggressive as the Viper and yet still maintained a nice balance of Corvette heritage cues without being overly retro.....

Old 11-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Hurricane
My grandmother recognized the difference right away. She thought it looked just as aggressive as the Viper and yet still maintained a nice balance of Corvette heritage cues without being overly retro.....

Damn, your grandma sounds cool I sure miss mine. They would have loved a ride in the Vette..................
Old 11-15-2004, 01:18 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

I just don't like the rear brake ducts. I just don't know what was GM thinking when building the rear brake ducts like that?
Old 11-15-2004, 01:19 PM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

Don't understand...The new 'proposed' Z is one bad *** looking supercar, what are people expecting? They will always stay very close to the current vette, but i personally am quite excited by the possible new Z
Old 11-15-2004, 05:54 PM
ActionZ06
Instructor

If the extreamly modify the body pannels then the price of the car would go up and that is not what a lot of people are looking for, i know i'm not.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mike76002
I just don't like the rear brake ducts. I just don't know what was GM thinking when building the rear brake ducts like that?
everything else looks ok, but they're just tacky. They don't apear to folow any body lines, and IMO they cheapen the look of the car.

However, I will reserve final judgement till I see it in person.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:59 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I would be happy with the black one. Looks mean enough for me.
Now if they keep it at $65k or less count me in.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:57 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

The car already has the ducts just hidden underneath, putting them on the side was a pure marketing move, not a performance enhancer.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Not overly impressed either.

That black photoshop ZO6 is pretty sweet. So I think you would be able to mod the car pretty easy to get the super agressive look if one desired.

At 20k over the base price of the C6 not sure how much of a bargain it still is. Sure we get a 427ci, most likely aluminum frame, lighter weight, but 20k???

I would think a C6 with a TTiX kit sounds like a better investment. That would give you 700RWHP for only $12k. ( i know there isnt a TTiX kit out for the C6, but I heard one is the works already )
Old 11-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

They don't look very well integrated into the fender lines.....maybe my opinion will change if I see them from another angle...
Old 11-15-2004, 11:18 PM
geo_z06
Advanced

I'm not sure what I was expecting but it leaves me wanting a true wide body and not just flares. I was at my dealer recently and they had a C5 Z06 parked next to a C6 and the C5 Z06 looked like it had a widebody compared to the narrow C6. I know I'm biased because I had a Z06 but I'm hoping the flares and the bigger tires make it look wider. At least it seems Callaway is going to make an aerobody kit for the C6. I loved the C4 aerobody so that might be where the money goes. I'll wait until I see the C6 Z06 in person to make the only true judgement that matters and that is whether I buy one or not.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:04 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't think the photo/render is a particularly flattering/distinctive angle. I think it will need to be seen in person to appreciate its drama.

.Jinx
Old 11-16-2004, 03:07 AM
vetteforlive
Cruising

Yano, Why is it when any one mentions the price of the c6 zo6 which in this case was 20k est. over the c6 they rationalize , hell I will just spend 12 k on a TTix kit. You think a 427 and a aluminum frame are not worth 20 k over the coupe. Oh ya besides the ally frame , 427 (those #s are a joy to true chevy muscle car heads. And let's not forget a full warranty, those huge buns out back that you are going to need as your stock tires are going to light up once your car gets past the turbo lag and gets into those 700 hp. And what do you think is going to gernade first ? The rear end. Drive shaft ? Tranny & clutch. Boy I bet then you would think those titanium rods and hand balanced and built 427 sound sweet. And not trying to be a jerk, I guess you could buy a set of zo6 brakes to slow those 700 ponys down.
I just wish people would be more positive of what GM is doing for us and of coarse themselves by building the best Vette yet. A flagship that shows what American tech can do at half to a third of the price of any other company in the world.
If some Euro or Japenese company offered the same performing car say Toyota Supra , NSX or Ferrari 430 customers would be dropping 10-20k non-refundable deposits to get on a 1-2 year waiting list while dropping 150-200k and thinking they are getting a steal.
Most posts I read on the web sites complane that at 70k GM is going to price themselves out of the market. I disagree. I think Chevy is going to create a new market from the people that buy super cars. Why would you spend twice as much money for the 2nd from the top of the line Porshce GT2 ? ( the Carrera is a race car for 460k and the scarey part is 3 months after the z06 is out we will have bolt on mods that will let it keep up with the Carrera and if we do some internal mods maybe beat it . Don't get me wrong I would buy one in a heart beat as the quaility of the work mam ship is untouchableBut the 400 extra K is holding me back .LOL.
Any way enough ramleing and this rant was meet to be attack on Yano I just think we shouldn't complane about the price if it 20-40k other the price of the z51 coupe as I am sure you know Gm doesn't make some of the huge profit other companys make and you get what you pay for.
I also think that the new zo6 will be the death of the Viper as I believe the only claim the Viper had was rareity and those extra horses which were pretty much useless for the average Joe or at least I had a terrible time trying to hook up and let me tell ya its a lot cheaper filling her up and changing the oil that shelling out large coin on 40-valve adjustments and keeping the car under 10000 miles so the value won't drop out just so you can be a label-*****. I own a c6 black/red z-51 now and had a 94 yellow rag, a 97 silver coupe, a 00 triple black 6-speed conv. a 01 silver zo6 and of coarse I had to have a 405 hp black/red z06 and my 06 zo6 has a depoist and in 08 I will buy as a keeper at least till the c7 comes out. GM is swinging for the fences at there is no way the are going let us down. Think positive cause a year from now there going be in our garages as we will be looking through our Gm accesorrie catalouge picking ouy genuine GM after market exhaust ,cams power programmers as they have the inside scoup and air intakes. We are liveing in the late 60s' again and lets enjoy it while lasts.

Get notified of new replies

To NE1 else not impressed with the (potential) looks of the new Z06?

Old 11-16-2004, 05:47 AM
Outsider
Burning Brakes

so far the spy pics are not as dramatic of a difference as i would have expected, but i will save my comment until i see the final version.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

They were thinking that the C5 Z06's stick-on brake ducts looked like crap.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:02 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

Howdy!

The Viper fills a market niche that I don't believe overlaps with the Corvette as much as you suggest. There is a huge value in the eyes of Viper owners with the exclusivity that ownership brings.

Also keep in mind it's a _roadster_ For some, the fun/excitement of open air driving is a big factor (I'm in Florida, big convertible market here) - so when it comes to choosing a high performance roadster, the next Z06 isn't in the category.

I'm sure Dodge will answer with a Coupe in January, that will have the engineering luxury of a pretty fair amount of extra budget. People in the know are suggesting a mix of the Carbon Coupe and SRT Coupe protoypes, with 575+ HP (600?) and a fair amount of weight reduction.

I guess the thing that caught my eye, was you said this:

"...shelling out large coin on 40-valve adjustments..."

in reference to the Viper (I believe the inference was a Viper you owned: "I had a terrible time trying to hook up "). The Viper V10 is a pushrod 2 valve per cylinder design - I'll let you do the math as to the number of valves - and the design does not, AFAIK, require some "exotic" valve adjustment like some 4v/cylinder, DOHC designs.

I agree this "second coming" of high power cars is exciting!

Cheers!

DT

Originally Posted by vetteforlive
I also think that the new zo6 will be the death of the Viper as I believe the only claim the Viper had was rareity and those extra horses which were pretty much useless for the average Joe or at least I had a terrible time trying to hook up and let me tell ya its a lot cheaper filling her up and changing the oil that shelling out large coin on 40-valve adjustments and keeping the car under 10000 miles so the value won't drop out just so you can be a label-*****.

Quick Reply: [Z06] NE1 else not impressed with the (potential) looks of the new Z06?