Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM Dealer blows up my Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:40 AM
Dragon RMK
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Dealer blows up my Engine

I'm new and need some advice and opinions regarding what my options are.

On Monday the local GM Chevrolet dealer was changing the oil on my 2006 Z06. They called me to tell me that they had a problem. They proceed to tell me the "tech" that changed the oil was not familiar with the car and the dry sump system. Dealer seems to think the tech added too much oil and not in the right place. Dealer was a little vague as to what exactly the tech did. The details as to what happened after the "oil change" is as follows. The car is started and backed out of the bay, then put in first gear to drive away and BOOM. The car was pushed back to the lift to discover the engine block has a 6" crack on the side and oil leaking out.

The car has 7500 miles on it has never been driven in the rain and very near perfect. I had planned on keeping this car for along time. The dealer is offering to replace the engine with a crate motor at there expense. Dealer also said that they are turning this in to there insurance company.

Here is my dilemma and what I need opinions on:

Is the car worth less with the replacement Engine, if so how much?

Would you buy this car from a private party with this history?

Should the dealer buy my car?

What would YOU be asking the dealer to do to make this right?

Is a crate Engine as good as my original hand built signature Engine?

Thanks in advance for any insights regarding this disaster. It really is not what I to be dealing with this week.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:04 AM
gaklid
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-21-2014, 01:21 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

To be honest new z06 is coming out I would def tell them you don't want the car back, I would make them credit u at least 45k torwards another car or truck, hint hint...or else you will sue the dealer for punitive damages...
Old 08-21-2014, 01:30 AM
mygiftmycurse
Instructor

My opinion, if the dealer provides documentation of the engine replacement, it shouldn't hurt the value of the car.
What would I do? At the least, I would have them replace the entire engine/dry sump and give you a warranty on it. I would also be needing a loaner or rental car from them while it's being worked out.

If they couldn't agree to that, I would want them to buy it. Hopefully they are an honest dealership and you don't need to pursue legal advice.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:38 AM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I think the old days of the number matching engines is long gone. I'm not even sure if the VIN is on the engine block anymore. I would go for a new engine with at least a 3-4 year warranty. I don't think it will hurt your value at all. Just my opinion. This is the number one reason no one changes my oil but me.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:48 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought my car because it had a new replacement engine in it. Supposedly the newer engines are less likely to have the valve guide issue from what I've read. So IMO since I bought one 6 months ago with a warranty replacement engine, no that does not affect value except for the select few crazies that think every bolt needs to be in the position as it came off the assembly line.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:31 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if the car dropped a valve... hmmm... I would get a new engine and warranty for sure from the dealer. They broke the engine, then as long as they make it right by giving you a new 1, then nothing else needs to be done. I would also ask for free rental...say a ZL1...LOL Hurt the value..?? I dont think so. As long as everything is documented, then im sure everything will be fine. Like you even said youll be keeping this car for a long time, or even forever, so why are you worried about the value? Would i buy it? No bc I already have a Z.. BUT I would buy it if I was in the market and as long as everything is presented with proper docs.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:56 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

First in the short term of the next 10 to 15 years a replacement engine doesn't mean a thing. If the cars ever become collectibles in 30 to 40 years it may mean something. Right now the vast majority of buyers could give a crap. Even the collector cars you see being auctioned for high prices now didn't bring a big buck with an original engine when they were 10 years old. A lot of them probably have fake engines or numbers matching replacement blocks in them anyway. There is a big market for people who know how to make a non original engine into an original engine although that is harder now that the car's VIN is stamped on the engine nowadays.

In another way you are lucky you get a new engine on somebody else's dime. With the crate engine you should get a 3/36K warranty so you really don't have anything to worry about from a valve drop standpoint for the next 3 years. When the warranty is close to running out get the heads checked to see if there is a valve guide problem. If there is GM will replace the heads and you get another 12 mo/12K mile warranty on the heads and any damage they cause or you can choose to fix the guides at that time. Either way you have pushed off the valve guide issue a minimum of 3 maybe 4 years before you have to worry about it. A lot of guys would love to have your problem.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 08-21-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:42 AM
NDAGRUV
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I agree

You're in a GOOD position! Take the new motor, sump system & peripherals and enjoy. Since the A/C system will most likely have to be "opened" to replace the engine, ask for a complete new A/C setup as well. Who knows - they might just do it, and you end up with an almost totally "new car".
Also, if you happen to know a Lawyer, discuss the matter with him - or call & ask one over the phone - you may be able to get a little $$ for "loss of originality" or something. (?)
It may be getting a little "greedy", but think of it this way, you'll be striking a blow for the rest of us ZO6 owners who have (or will have) the added expense of having our heads re-done.
GM doesn't care about our paying to correct THEIR MISTAKE, so why should YOU care if they have to dig into their corporate pockets to make one ZO6 owner happy?

Just my opinion.........................
Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default In your dreams

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
To be honest new z06 is coming out I would def tell them you don't want the car back, I would make them credit u at least 45k torwards another car or truck, hint hint...or else you will sue the dealer for punitive damages...
Your going to sue the dealer for punitive damages?Good luck.If they put in a new crate engine his car will be good as new.You cannot force them to buy the car back and certainly not force them to credit him 45000 dollars,because they backed the car out of the bay and the engine blew.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:00 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by NDAGRUV

You're in a GOOD position! Take the new motor, sump system & peripherals and enjoy. Since the A/C system will most likely have to be "opened" to replace the engine, ask for a complete new A/C setup as well. Who knows - they might just do it, and you end up with an almost totally "new car".
Also, if you happen to know a Lawyer, discuss the matter with him - or call & ask one over the phone - you may be able to get a little $$ for "loss of originality" or something. (?)
It may be getting a little "greedy", but think of it this way, you'll be striking a blow for the rest of us ZO6 owners who have (or will have) the added expense of having our heads re-done.
GM doesn't care about our paying to correct THEIR MISTAKE, so why should YOU care if they have to dig into their corporate pockets to make one ZO6 owner happy?

Just my opinion.........................
except it wont' be GM paying for this, it is the dealership and their "insurance"....so much for "sticking it up to the man"....if you really wanted to do that then don't buy new GM product!

Dealer already said they would put in a new crate motor, without the OP having to "fight" to get to that point, that's pretty fair and honest right there.
As others have said, everything else is a no issue or worry....I'd buy a car with a brand new dealer installed motor in a heart beat, motor itself will have its own warranty....
Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 AM
adamgl
Racer

Do you really trust them to change out an engine when they can't even change the oil without blowing the motor?!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:06 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So the dealer is going to replace the motor. ..why do you or anyone else feel entitled to anything else?

So someone makes a mistake and now its like winning the lottery...really?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 AM
markzeronine
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be happy. Especially because now they'll have to warranty the new engine, you can drive the car as hard as you want for the next few years without any worry about the engine. Selling a car privately with a brand new gm installed ls7 won't hurt either, especially if you sell it while the warranty is still in service. If you also get a rental car out of it, I'd consider myself very lucky
Old 08-21-2014, 07:41 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgl
Do you really trust them to change out an engine when they can't even change the oil without blowing the motor?!
That would make me nervous as well
Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 AM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I would hazard a guess that the "tech" involved with changing the oil won't be allowed within several miles of the engine-change work [order].
Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgl
I was about to say this

Get notified of new replies

To GM Dealer blows up my Engine

Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rsalco
I would hazard a guess that the "tech" involved with changing the oil won't be allowed within several miles of the engine-change work [order].
Oh, I'm fairly certain of that, but I'm not at all confident in this dealership after they didn't ensure any level of familiarity with a Corvette that is obviously going to require a different procedure in an oil change than normal; I mean, the dry sump oil system has now worked its way into the Z06, ZR1, GS, Z51, and even the Camaro, for crying out loud... there should have been some sort of training at this dealership to address this change. Since the dealership has already proven themselves incompetent in this area, how well do they manage things in other services? The local Mitsubishi dealership rebuilt my buddy's Evo X MR engine under warranty... he walked in there during the rebuild, took one look at the parts strewn all over the bench and shelves with no labels whatsoever, and went right to the front where he convinced the dealer to take the car as a trade-in on a brand-new Evo X.

The last thing you want is to leave the dealership with any less of a car than it was when you dropped it off the first time.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Dragon RMK
Navigator

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Believe me I have the same concern. Just how specialized of a job is it to replace the engine? Has this mechanic ever done it before? No doubt there are experienced mechanics that could complete this job even if its the first time doing it.

I just need to accept the fact that a accident happened to my car. The dealer is being fair I think, but in the world of CarFax am I being "damaged" beyond the repair?

Would really like to resolve this without a lawyer and I think I can, I just have to decide what I want.

Thanks so far for your opinions and thoughts!

Also, the extended warranty for 36 months would give 798 miles based on may last 3 years usage.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dragon RMK
Believe me I have the same concern. Just how specialized of a job is it to replace the engine? Has this mechanic ever done it before? No doubt there are experienced mechanics that could complete this job even if its the first time doing it.

I just need to accept the fact that a accident happened to my car. The dealer is being fair I think, but in the world of CarFax am I being "damaged" beyond the repair?

Would really like to resolve this without a lawyer and I think I can, I just have to decide what I want.

Thanks so far for your opinions and thoughts!

Also, the extended warranty for 36 months would give 798 miles based on may last 3 years usage.
No, you wouldn't be damaged in the value department; as the others said, nobody will care for many years.

As far as replacing the engine: as long as the service manual is followed, it will not be a difficult job for an experienced technician, regardless of prior experience with Corvettes.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM Dealer blows up my Engine