Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What’s the pro’s and con’s to coil overs on a street car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Default What’s the pro’s and con’s to coil overs on a street car?

I have been pondering whether or not to covert my Z to coil overs. Not so much for track orientated use, as there are no tracks anywhere close to where I live, but for the ability to change ride stiffness, as well as have access to the bottom of the engine. Kind of an expensive “upgrade” for these reasons, when the car already handles better than my skills could ever push it, but I’m thinking about anyway.

So I was reading a couple threads on coil overs, and they are all track related threads. No real talk or basic pro’s / con’t of coil overs on a car that doesn’t get track use. I did read a couple vague comments saying that coil overs are not as reliable, or robust as the OE leaf and shock system, but they don’t say why. I watched a video of an LG car running over a six by six and the shocks took the abuse. I doubt the OEM system would have survived that little demonstration, so I’m wondering why some folks say coil overs are not as reliable?? One guy goes so far as to say he could not run coil overs because the roads where he lives are bad, with a lot of potholes. Where I live, the roads generally suck.

Can someone either give me the high points (pro’s / con’s for dummies style) on coil over’s? I am not a suspension guy, by any stretch. Dumbed down is good.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:38 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I am wondering the same. Going to call a few vendors on this
Old 08-18-2014, 04:46 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Well Michael there's is no cons because a lot of high end cars now come with coil overs, other than the price they are worth it on a street car night and day difference from just having reg suspension... If you drive normal just leave it stock...but if your roads do suck I wouldn't get coilovers. Have you thought of upgrading to stiffer shocks... If u decide to track it you would benefit from coilovers you can adjust for street also..
Old 08-18-2014, 04:52 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I have coilovers on my C4 and can think of no cons. They allow precise corner weighting but the real value is the ease of setting ride height right where you want it.....in the weeds or just over the height necessary to get where you want to go.

When I was in NCal and in LV, Nv and Az I had the car way low. Now that I have moved to SCal, I had to raise it up 3/8ths of an inch. Took about the same effort as lowering on stock bolts but does allow much lower ride heights.

I will not go to coilovers on my C6Z06 since I do not track my car and lowering on stock bolts puts me at the edge of where I want to be these days. I do have a route I drive fairly often that requires some care at its current ride height (3/4 in lower than stock).

I suppose another advantage is exact spring rates you want. Simple coil over springs are very inexpensive so changing spring rates is not a big deal to dial in what you want (assuming you want to spend the time and effort to get the handling to some precise level).
Old 08-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just from casual reading of threads on the subject I'd say the following are the downsides in your situation:

1. If one shock develops a leak you can't just run down to the GM dealer or call up Bilstein and order a replacement... since it's a custom item you're going to need a custom replacement (see the example of Pfadt, who went out of business -- no replacements available. Even before Pfadt went out of business certain shock models were discontinued in favor of newer models, so the same issue with obtaining replacements or parts maybe even with other manufacturers).

2. Makes the car sit a little lower. Not good in pothole country.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:01 PM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the right setup you'll have a more compliant ride than stock, you'll shed some weight and the car will perform a heck of a lot better, especially over uneven surfaces.

Only con is cost.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I actually have coilovers on my Z06 and 3 out of 4 cars I own have quality coilovers. Why...because they simply transform the car in every way. My observations for the street: they give you a more controlled and planted feel for the car. Very beneficial when you like to get in and out of places fast such as exit/entrance ramps. Depends on the coils you decide to go with, but my Pfadt SA Featherlights ride smooth and soak up just about every error in the road. No jarring affect that the stock leafs give, but a more firm and confident feel. Being that they are adjustable...I can make them ride like a Cadillac and turn them up hard for the track for that race car precision. I like my ride a little on the firm side, but I know when the girlfriend rides with me, she likes a softer feel and she never has an issue putting her make up on while riding.

BTW...you can absolutely have the a set of coilovers sit at stock height...I know of a few manufacturers that build short body shocks, which will definitely lower the car; however, most coils can put you where you want to be.

Yes...weight shed makes a huge difference, especially if you go with an inverted shock body which takes the weight off the control arm.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:30 PM
WhiteKnight
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Just from casual reading of threads on the subject I'd say the following are the downsides in your situation:

1. If one shock develops a leak you can't just run down to the GM dealer or call up Bilstein and order a replacement... since it's a custom item you're going to need a custom replacement (see the example of Pfadt, who went out of business -- no replacements available. Even before Pfadt went out of business certain shock models were discontinued in favor of newer models, so the same issue with obtaining replacements or parts maybe even with other manufacturers).
+1 for parts

I had 1st gen Pfadts on my C5Z. Over time one rear loosened up (maybe it wasn't installed right from the start) and damaged the shock. Tried to get replacement parts and found out Pfadt no longer stocked parts for the 1st gen but had introduced a 2nd gen set. I ended up having to buy a whole new set to replace one bad coilover shock. Then ... Pfadt goes out of business all together. Try getting parts for Pfadt now.

IMO the additional expense and maintenance of coilovers only makes sense if you plan to spend a lot of time on the track. For a street car I won't do it again. DRM Bilsteins on a C6Z gives a pretty firm ride.

Pros:
1) depending on make/model coilover - ability to fine tune your handling at each wheel
2) typically lighter weight as you drop the leafs
3) ride height adjustment beyond stock bolts

Cons:
1) expense
2) availability of parts over time
3) more s$%t to mess with

Last edited by WhiteKnight; 08-18-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Go with a company like LG that uses Bilstein/eibach/etc parts. Not that LG is going out of business, but bilstein/eibach/etc are not going anywhere. There are many places, and probably local that have parts and can rebuild them. That is one of the many reasons I wouldn't run a one off brand.

LG Bilsteins, Penske, Ohlins, moton all make good coilovers for the vette that have support.

I would do LGs and plan on doing some sooner or later.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

No cons on the street as far as the drive or the ride. If they are decent coilover they should make the ride much better actually.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:53 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only cons are price.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are not tracking your Z, you are better off with DRM Bilsteins or similar high quality shock.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unreal
Go with a company like LG that uses Bilstein/eibach/etc parts. Not that LG is going out of business, but bilstein/eibach/etc are not going anywhere. There are many places, and probably local that have parts and can rebuild them. That is one of the many reasons I wouldn't run a one off brand.

LG Bilsteins, Penske, Ohlins, moton all make good coilovers for the vette that have support.

I would do LGs and plan on doing some sooner or later.
Not to call you out, Nick, but I am on a 8 week waiting list for a replacement shock from LG. Bilstein just doesn't have the parts. The originally leaking shock has been rebuilt already and does not perform properly.

Think twice, my friends.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Call LG. You won't be sorry.

Jim
Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf8218
Not to call you out, Nick, but I am on a 8 week waiting list for a replacement shock from LG. Bilstein just doesn't have the parts. The originally leaking shock has been rebuilt already and does not perform properly.

Think twice, my friends.
Good to know. At least Bilstein will get parts sooner or later compared to other brands that need to be trashed and start over. Parts go on back order. I waited 9 months for a crank, doesn't mean I wouldn't suggest Calles cranks to others.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unreal
Good to know. At least Bilstein will get parts sooner or later compared to other brands that need to be trashed and start over. Parts go on back order. I waited 9 months for a crank, doesn't mean I wouldn't suggest Calles cranks to others.
The support from LG has been above average and I'd recommend the shop to anyone. I just wish they could maybe incorporate a more readily available shock on the coilovers.

Back on the subject of streetability: make sure you choose the correct spring rate. I believe the default springs for most kits would be a bit harsh for the road (mine are). I would consult with the manufacturer, whoever you decide to go with, and ask if they can provide a softer spring balance.

Oh and one last thing I forgot to mention: adjustable end links! It's more than likely that you'll end up hitting the coils with the sway bar ends. Check your fitment and plan on that extra expense.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:06 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I have been pondering whether or not to covert my Z to coil overs. Not so much for track orientated use, as there are no tracks anywhere close to where I live, but for the ability to change ride stiffness, as well as have access to the bottom of the engine. Kind of an expensive “upgrade” for these reasons, when the car already handles better than my skills could ever push it, but I’m thinking about anyway.

So I was reading a couple threads on coil overs, and they are all track related threads. No real talk or basic pro’s / con’t of coil overs on a car that doesn’t get track use. I did read a couple vague comments saying that coil overs are not as reliable, or robust as the OE leaf and shock system, but they don’t say why. I watched a video of an LG car running over a six by six and the shocks took the abuse. I doubt the OEM system would have survived that little demonstration, so I’m wondering why some folks say coil overs are not as reliable?? One guy goes so far as to say he could not run coil overs because the roads where he lives are bad, with a lot of potholes. Where I live, the roads generally suck.

Can someone either give me the high points (pro’s / con’s for dummies style) on coil over’s? I am not a suspension guy, by any stretch. Dumbed down is good.
Just get yourself a set of Bilstein Sport shocks and use the rest of the money to go to Hawaii for 3 weeks.
I spent most of my money on gambling, hookers and booze. The rest I had left over I wasted

Last edited by meanjoe; 08-19-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What’s the pro’s and con’s to coil overs on a street car?

Old 08-19-2014, 12:06 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Bilstein will be perfect they are one of the first ones with the design for the z06....
Old 08-19-2014, 02:11 AM
SmokinZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the LG GT2 coil-overs. They are nice, I autocross and they seem great. Probably overkill for my skill level, but cool anyhow. I also have a ARE drysump system and that requires coil-overs as the transverse leaf gets in the way. The coil-overs also lowered my car about an inch.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:09 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

How do Coil overs affect the traction control & active handling? Those don't need to be disabled do they?

Sorry if this is too rudimentary of a question.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What’s the pro’s and con’s to coil overs on a street car?