Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New Battleship Class Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Because it's end of life on a very low production vehicle, which saves GM enormous R&D (Z06 owners were beta testers ), while causing them very little in CAFE credits.

Dude, only an Odumba voter would come in here and deny, defend, or complain about someone hating on the ludicrous CAFE standards. So maybe you should own a Prius and you'll feel more welcome in its forums.
I ask for proof rather than your opinion. Show me where GM made the decision for the reasons you state.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:59 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
I am sorry, but you have now been convicted of "confirmational bias." Please turn in your Z06 to the confimational bias office by cob tomorrow and pick up your replacement Nissan Leaf.
Confirmational bias? NOOOOOOOOO! I used to race a Datsun 510 and I still have a hard time saying Nissan However, my wife does have an Armada. When Obama wins his 4th term in office and dictates that everyone drive an electric car, I will just drag out my old touring bike. It also doesn't burn any gas (actually has been known to occasionally generate some) and has proven to have a minimum range of over 150 miles. Confirmational bias? This doesn't even pass my spell check. What is this guy's real name, Senor Verbose?
Gary
Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Consider this: The old gasping C6 Z06/z07 stands in the fastest 4 production cars to lap Mazda Raceway Leguna Seca @ 1.34.43. By comparison, the C7 Stingray Z51 went round in 1.38.28, nearly 4 full seconds slower! That isn't even a contest. The C6 ZR1 still holds the record lap for production cars at Leguna Seca, and while I think the C7 Z06 will improve on that, it won't be anything close to 4 seconds faster than the ZR1.
Not a valid comparison. The "regular" 2006 Z did LS in 1.40.9 to the Stingray's 1.38.28. The Z07 option with the carbon ceramic brakes and , more importantly, Pilot Sport Cups, did the 1.34.43. Put the same tires on the Stingray and most of the difference disappears. Better brakes and tires cut over 6 seconds from the 2006 Z time(and the Z07 is more than 100lbs. heavier than the 2006 Z).
Old 08-19-2014, 08:38 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
I ask for proof rather than your opinion. Show me where GM made the decision for the reasons you state.
I am not privy to GM's internal communications. But you know this, and are just being facetious. It is pointlss to debate the obvious. CAFE standards are going up, and the only way to make power and comply with them is through power adders like FI and hybrid. Cubes will decline, as we have already seen with the Cadillac CTS. Why even debate this? It makes you look silly.

I notice you don't deny voting for the worst president ever, who has mandated 54.5 MPG a mere 9 years from now. Thanks for that, and for setting the world afire, low information voters!

Hopefully, President Romney will roll back that bull$#!t in 2017, and put consumer choice and democracy back into effect.

Otherwise, enjoy your V6 C8 Z06! (base will be V4, with the V4 GS stealing the Z0V6's widebody)
Old 08-19-2014, 09:40 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

I am not privy to GM's internal communications. But you know this, and are just being facetious. It is pointlss to debate the obvious. CAFE standards are going up, and the only way to make power and comply with them is through power adders like FI and hybrid. Cubes will decline, as we have already seen with the Cadillac CTS. Why even debate this? It makes you look silly.

I notice you don't deny voting for the worst president ever, who has mandated 54.5 MPG a mere 9 years from now. Thanks for that, and for setting the world afire, low information voters!

Hopefully, President Romney will roll back that bull$#!t in 2017, and put consumer choice and democracy back into effect.

Otherwise, enjoy your V6 C8 Z06! (base will be V4, with the V4 GS stealing the Z0V6's widebody)
Finally, the answer I've been waiting for. You presented your opinion as fact. I was respectful in replying to your posts and you respond with insults and innuendo.

The sales of the C7 with or without a 427 will not impact GM's CAFE figures in any significant way--C7s are decimal places in Chevy's annual production. You obviously disagree, but name calling doesn't add force to your argument.

I have no qualms about smaller engines and FI. It works for McClaren, Porsche, Zonda, etc.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:00 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Finally, the answer I've been waiting for. You presented your opinion as fact. I was respectful in replying to your posts and you respond with insults and innuendo.

The sales of the C7 with or without a 427 will not impact GM's CAFE figures in any significant way--C7s are decimal places in Chevy's annual production. You obviously disagree, but name calling doesn't add force to your argument.

I have no qualms about smaller engines and FI. It works for McClaren, Porsche, Zonda, etc.
Well, it is all about you.

Is it OK if other Americans have some choice other than Priuses and Volts in 9 years? Or are liberty and choice no longer part of America?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 PM
gaklid
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's gotta be a great feeling to have an omnipotent, villain-protagonist boogeyman type of character that you can blame for every injustice in your life, no matter how big, small, obscure, or random it is....
Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this thread went downhill in a hurry...
Old 08-19-2014, 11:49 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Well, it is all about you.

Is it OK if other Americans have some choice other than Priuses and Volts in 9 years? Or are liberty and choice no longer part of America?
Everybody has choices; you need to let go of your anger.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:05 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by gaklid
It's gotta be a great feeling to have an omnipotent, villain-protagonist boogeyman type of character that you can blame for every injustice in your life, no matter how big, small, obscure, or random it is....
Cute strawman, but am I wrong that Obama signed the ludicrous 54.5 MPG CAFE standards into law by executive order in 2011, or not? Please tell me, who else I should blame, other than those who voted for him?
Originally Posted by vray
Wow, this thread went downhill in a hurry...
Sorry to lower the level of enlightened discourse in a thread calling the new Z06 a fat battleship.
Everybody has choices; you need to let go of your anger.
Right, because the left was all sweetness and light during the Bush Administration.

And yes, everyone has choices. And if you all ever want to see another V8 Corvette again, remember that choice on November 2016.

Anyway, everyone, and enjoy your V8's before they go extinct.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 AM
C6zMyth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank you all for providing my night full of laughter at work.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 AM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

As the OP, I would like to return to the original topic of this thread which was a discussion how heavy the new Z06 is and how people feel about the total change in philosophy this car represents compared to its Z06 predecessors.

Political viewpoints are best expressed in forums catering to them, this is a Corvette forum.

Thank you!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:10 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
As the OP, I would like to return to the original topic of this thread which was a discussion how heavy the new Z06 is and how people feel about the total change in philosophy this car represents compared to its Z06 predecessors.

Political viewpoints are best expressed in forums catering to them, this is a Corvette forum.

Thank you!
Amen; take the politics elsewhere.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:28 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I have the Sept issue of R&T in front of me adn in the baack they have a listing of a number of cars they have taken to a local converted airport track near Detroit.

Nothing definitive about it but the Camaro Z/28 (wLS7) ran a lap of 54.66 sec and the C7 Z51 ran a lap of 54.80. So the LS7 in a very porky (3800 lb) Camaro lapped more quickly than the new C7. In all fairness the top speed is also listed and the Camaro ran a max of131.2 mph and the C7 Vette a max of 135.5.

So the Z/28s lap time advantage is more likely due to the incredible tires delivered on the Z/28.

Has anyone run a serious (Group 4 or open passing group) HPDE with a well driven C7?

I would be interested in how that went/goes, as we have both a weight and a hp advantage over the C7.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:35 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to lower the level of enlightened discourse in a thread calling the new Z06 a fat battleship.
No you're not!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:55 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pkincy
I have the Sept issue of R&T in front of me adn in the baack they have a listing of a number of cars they have taken to a local converted airport track near Detroit.

Nothing definitive about it but the Camaro Z/28 (wLS7) ran a lap of 54.66 sec and the C7 Z51 ran a lap of 54.80. So the LS7 in a very porky (3800 lb) Camaro lapped more quickly than the new C7. In all fairness the top speed is also listed and the Camaro ran a max of131.2 mph and the C7 Vette a max of 135.5.

So the Z/28s lap time advantage is more likely due to the incredible tires delivered on the Z/28.

Has anyone run a serious (Group 4 or open passing group) HPDE with a well driven C7?

I would be interested in how that went/goes, as we have both a weight and a hp advantage over the C7.
The Z/28 is quite an accomplishment given that even though it was lightened a bit, it still weighs at least 700 lbs more than my Z. I did take note of those tires and would like to know if they will ever be available in our stock sizes. Running Michelin Pilot SS now...
Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pkincy

The tires and brakes make a huge difference. Another magazine (Auto Week?) ran the Z 28 against the Porsche GT 3 and the Z won. They commented on the monsterous grip and brakes of the Z as making the difference. Quite an achievement.

Get notified of new replies

To New Battleship Class Z06?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Z06 guys are without a doubt the most insular group ever. The vast majority of (actual and potential) Corvette buyers want a fast, sexy street machine. Even most Z06 owners don't track their cars. GM is a for-profit, publicly held corporation with a duty to make money. It is not a small, private performance shop like Hennessey.

GM made 471 Z06's in 2013. That's 3.5% of all C6's. I seriously doubt GM ever got its R&D money back from either Z, especially the Z06 with its valve issues. GM needs to appeal more to the masses if the Corvette, and its HiPo variants are to survive.

At least you can still order a C7Z with a stick, which is something GT3 owners can no longer do.
I suppose that your included in your remark above....otherwise, WTF?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 PM
marktsmith
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Z06 guys are without a doubt the most insular group ever. The vast majority of (actual and potential) Corvette buyers want a fast, sexy street machine. Even most Z06 owners don't track their cars. GM is a for-profit, publicly held corporation with a duty to make money. It is not a small, private performance shop like Hennessey.

GM made 471 Z06's in 2013. That's 3.5% of all C6's. I seriously doubt GM ever got its R&D money back from either Z, especially the Z06 with its valve issues. GM needs to appeal more to the masses if the Corvette, and its HiPo variants are to survive.

At least you can still order a C7Z with a stick, which is something GT3 owners can no longer do.
And consider that only 87 (I think) of the Z06's had the Z07 package. I think the ZR1 totals for 2013 were around 86 cars ? Not too many top performers sold for 2013.

Maybe we need a small shop like Hennessey to take over the Corvette brand to keep them a performance car (for those of us that bought the car for performance).

Enjoy !
Old 08-20-2014, 10:40 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

2015 GTR Nismo. 595HP. 3800lbs. Nürburgring: 7:08.

You can be heavy and still put down sick times. Its all about how its engineered.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Battleship Class Z06?