Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A little wiggle is this concerning? VIDEO*

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 175rgr
[...] Let me know what you guys think [...]
I think you should do the proper wiggle test with a dial indicator.

What you, the shop, and some others are doing now is little more than guessing, which I don't think is a tool you'll find in any good machinist's toolbox.

Also the oil consumption theory has been well debunked on this particular issue on this particular engine, so the shop is engaged in even more guessing.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:53 AM
175rgr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I just pulled the car in the garage about an hour ago, I'm going to let her cool down and throw a dial on it. I know its not the most preferred way but I'm going to remove the rocker and leave the spring on it just for an idea, that's all I can do until my new comp LS valve spring compressor shows up, my old knockoff brand cracked.

As far as the tune being conservative, my tuner is out of town till the end of the August so I cant pull the tune yet, I called the previous tuner and he says its on 18 degrees of timing, so its not pushing to hard.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

You'll just be wasting your time until you can get the springs off. You really need to "feel" the movement of the stem and when it contacts the guide wall.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:40 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael_D
You'll just be wasting your time until you can get the springs off. You really need to "feel" the movement of the stem and when it contacts the guide wall.

Michael, i updated the OP with a new video, i know what you mean by "feeling" the valve contact the guide wall and I could still feel it even with the spring on, especially in the "upward" movement toward the intake manifold.

Also, every other valve had no noticable movement with the exception of cylinder number 4 Intake valve and cylinder 8 intake valve. All others felt completely solid. cylinder number 8 had about .06 - .08 movement in both directions a little better than number 4.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

You cannot get a meaningful measurement with the spring installed.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:59 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Pat
Fixing loose valve guides is almost like a rite of passage for new C6Z owners.

On a positive note: new owners quickly become familiar with their motors when they do a heads (and usually a cam) swap.
Could not disagree more..
Old 08-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Jasonoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATC399
Could not disagree more..
Cool...
Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Before I removed my heads this spring, I "wiggled" all of my valves with the springs still on. I found 4 intake valves that moved more than the rest, so I marked them. Didn't bother with a dial indicator...was just "visual". I was removing the heads regardless, and was just curious. Sure enough, those valves were all at .005" clearance. Take it for what it's worth. I don't recommend people diagnose worn guides like this, but like I said, I was planning on having the guide bores measured anyway.

My "partially rebuilt" heads lasted 20k miles, before they needed to be redone. My cam has .675" lift, and I run stock rocker arms with PM guides. When I had them rebuilt this spring, I used PM guides again. From what I have personally seen, I feel that the valve guides are a wear item, and need to be treated as such.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:23 PM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls

My "partially rebuilt" heads lasted 20k miles, before they needed to be redone. My cam has .675" lift, and I run stock rocker arms with PM guides. When I had them rebuilt this spring, I used PM guides again. From what I have personally seen, I feel that the valve guides are a wear item, and need to be treated as such.
So you had heads redone with new PM guides that wore out in 20k miles?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

toast, first video says it all. no need to measure anything. mine was the same way. like you, I didn't even remove the rocker arm. I saw play, 3 hours later both heads were sitting on the bench.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Regardless, from what I have seen those 2 being that loose is enough concern for me. Ill add the full specs of the motor/cam and heads to the original post along with my course of action.

I just purchased American Heritage Stage 4 heads and they should arrive by next Friday. I have to drive this car daily between now and then so hopefully nothing happens in that amount of time. American Heritage is accepting my current heads as a core and i will pick up new factory MLS gaskets from the stealership tomorrow. No need for head bolts it has ARP head studs already in it.

The car may have lasted another 5k miles or another 70k we will never know, id rather bite the bullet now and be done with it than sacrifice a 6 - 10k motor down the road.

I agree that you cannot get exact information because the springs were still installed but the fact that just two valves were in this condition and they moved as much as they did compared to the rest is enough for me to get the issue addressed.

Thanks for everyones input on the deal, ill get some videos of the valves when i remove these heads before i send them off and be sure to post them up.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:32 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Originally Posted by ctsv510
So you had heads redone with new PM guides that wore out in 20k miles?
I detailed it in another thread. Car had 7k on it when the heads and cam package was installed. This was a couple years ago, and things have changed a bit today with the way the heads are repaired. Only the 3 worn guides were replaced and all seats recut. Fast forward to this spring. Car had 26k on it, and I found most of the intake guides worn and a couple exhaust. Had all guides replaced with OE type PM, new OEM sodium exhaust valves installed, and stock intake valves. All seats recut. I expect to get another 20k out of the heads. I do NOT expect them to last indefinitely...they should, but I know better.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by erikszr1
toast, first video says it all. no need to measure anything. mine was the same way. like you, I didn't even remove the rocker arm. I saw play, 3 hours later both heads were sitting on the bench.
Did you or someone measure them later?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

So PM guides can go as high as 20,000, some stock LS7's have very high miles (plenty don't), and lots on here using bronze guides.....so we still don't have a perfect fix
Old 08-19-2014, 08:31 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
So PM guides can go as high as 20,000, some stock LS7's have very high miles (plenty don't), and lots on here using bronze guides.....so we still don't have a perfect fix
I dont think you can draw any conclusion from his situation, he didnt replace all of the guides the first time and he didnt state which ones were bad and which werent when he took it apart the second time. There are so many variables in the LS7 "fix" its insane. All I know, the movement that is posted in my videos regardless of spring tension on them or not is not normal IMO because the rest of the valves do not exhibit that behavior. Also, on my old 820 rwhp c5z I never seen this movement at all in those LS3 heads.

I will measure mine when i remove them next week for an "accurate" wiggle test with no springs attached.

What I do know, is American Heritage gave me his word that I wont have to worry about LS7 valvetrain woes any longer. If after I spent my hard earned money with him I have guide issues I expect him to stand by that word as an respectable person would. Only time will tell.

After the new heads are installed EVERY oil change I will pull the valve covers, remove rocker tension and "wiggle" the valves, recording everything very accurately. If I find anything abnormal you can bet it will be posted here. Its a small thing to add to an oil change routine and I have no problem doing it.

Last edited by 175rgr; 08-19-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

I detailed it in another thread. Car had 7k on it when the heads and cam package was installed. This was a couple years ago, and things have changed a bit today with the way the heads are repaired. Only the 3 worn guides were replaced and all seats recut. Fast forward to this spring. Car had 26k on it, and I found most of the intake guides worn and a couple exhaust. Had all guides replaced with OE type PM, new OEM sodium exhaust valves installed, and stock intake valves. All seats recut. I expect to get another 20k out of the heads. I do NOT expect them to last indefinitely...they should, but I know better.
That's the thing with OEM type PM guides, they are soft and will wear just like the bronze guides do.
It took some time for us to find a hardened PM guide that could stand up to the side loading of the LS7 valves (w/stock rockers). The oem PM guide is somewhere in the low 20's or high 10's on the Rockwell hardness scale (c scale). The hardened PM guides we use are in the high 30's low 40's on the Rockwell harness scale (c scale). Alot harder than the factory style PM. We have some testing on this we will be publishing as soon as we get it all the data back from the the facility's we contracted to do the testing.
Valve guides are a replacement/wear item but they should be replaced every 60,000-110,000 miles (application dependent), not every 2,000-30,000 miles.

Last edited by American Heritage; 08-19-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:21 AM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Originally Posted by American Heritage
That's the thing with OEM type PM guides, they are soft and will wear just like the bronze guides do.
It took some time for us to find a hardened PM guide that could stand up to the side loading of the LS7 valves (w/stock rockers). The oem PM guide is somewhere in the low 20's or high 10's on the Rockwell hardness scale (c scale). The hardened PM guides we use are in the high 30's low 40's on the Rockwell harness scale (c scale). Alot harder than the factory style PM. We have some testing on this we will be publishing as soon as we get it all the data back from the the facility's we contracted to do the testing.
Valve guides are a replacement/wear item but they should be replaced every 60,000-110,000 miles (application dependent), not every 2,000-30,000 miles.
Good info. Are you concerned about harder guides eventually wearing or galling the valve stems? I know the valves are coated (exh is chromed, and the int is CrN), so the surface hardness is up there.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:35 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Good info. Are you concerned about harder guides eventually wearing or galling the valve stems? I know the valves are coated (exh is chromed, and the int is CrN), so the surface hardness is up there.
No not really, the hardness of the valves and hardness of the hardened guides are very close. From all our experience they appear to be very compatible with one another.

Quick Reply: [Z06] A little wiggle is this concerning? VIDEO*