Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] adjusting bimode exhaust activation RPM

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default adjusting bimode exhaust activation RPM

With the fuse pulled, my stock exhaust sounds fantastic above 2000 RPM but exhibits excessive drone below 2000 RPM. I would like to replace the fuse and lower the activation RPM from 3500 RPM to something closer to 2000 RPM.

I am aware of products that enable adjustment of the bimode exhaust activation RPM by monitoring engine speed via the OBD2 port and switching the vacuum circuit, but as these often interfere with ELM devices used for datalogging, I am looking for guidance on using an RPM activated window switch such as this one from Summit or this one from JEGS. Will these devices properly interpret the signal on the Engine Speed wire connected to the ECM? Does the vacuum circuit draw more than 3 amps and therefore require use of a relay? Has anyone already done this and written it up in a post that my searches failed to reveal? Thanks!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Dash logic can control it.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Sorry if I was unclear.

Originally Posted by bjmsam
I am aware of products that enable adjustment of the bimode exhaust activation RPM by monitoring engine speed via the OBD2 port and switching the vacuum circuit, but as these often interfere with ELM devices used for datalogging, I am looking for guidance on using an RPM activated window switch such as this one from Summit or this one from JEGS.
Originally Posted by Unreal
Dash logic can control it.
DashLogic is among the devices to which I referred above.

Originally Posted by PalmerPerformance
Have you tested simultaneous operation of DashLogic and OBDLink MX (Bluetooth connection to DashCommand) via a splitter cable like this or this?
I tried it, it works but does give some performance hits for DashCommand. I have to connect DashCommand before plugging in the DashLogic or the MX will fail the protocol detection.
So is the Exhaust Commander Elite (presumably - there has been no reply).

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeCreations
We have an OBD-II splitter cable available that allows you to use the Exhaust Commander Elite and any other unit that needs to use the OBD port.
What about an OBDLink MX that's streaming data to apps such as Torque or DashCommand? Would this cause degradation of performance, problems with protocol detection, etc.?
I am looking for answers to the following questions about RPM activated window switches:

Will these devices properly interpret the signal on the Engine Speed wire connected to the ECM? Does the vacuum circuit draw more than 3 amps and therefore require use of a relay? Has anyone already done this and written it up in a post that my searches failed to reveal?

Last edited by bjmsam; 08-07-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM
bjmsam
Pro

This approach controls activation based on engine speed and load - neat!

Old 08-09-2014, 10:28 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

This approach controls activation based on engine speed and load - neat!

that'll do it
Old 08-09-2014, 10:35 AM
bjmsam
Pro

I'm hoping to get away with this:

This assumes that the exhaust circuit is disabled when the ignition is off (I've seen posts suggesting that it is always energized which makes no sense to me) and that the RPM switch can interpret the 5V tach signal (may need a pull-up resistor).
Old 08-09-2014, 01:40 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

^^ the vacuum solenoid I used allows vacuum thru them when no power is applied. This will close the muffler flaps. Applying 12v will cause the solenoid to block the vacuum source and vent the downstream end to the atmosphere allowing the vacuum diaphragms to open up and get louder.

I found that late 80's to early 90's style GM EGR solenoids to work in this manner. They have a calibrated brass restriction plug (you have to drill it out), but you can get these at junkyards everywhere. They are on 350 v8 rear wheel drive cars and those 4.5 or 4.9 cadillacs front drivers that litter the wrecking yards. Even if money isn't the point (the solenoid is $60 new), going to get used parts is still something to think about because you can grab a bunch of that high-temp plastic vacuum tubing and a bunch of the factory rubber elbows and 'T''s that fit nicely on all of the connection points.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

I suspect the reason the OP wants to change the enable RPM of the dual-mode exhaust is that it's too quiet when the valves are closed but had too much "drone" at low rpm with the valves open.

My solution to this problem worked quite well, cost only a buck or so and a hour or so of work and left the system with full computer control.

See this thread elsewhere on the CF
Old 08-09-2014, 03:15 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
My solution to this problem worked quite well, cost only a buck or so and a hour or so of work and left the system with full computer control.
I've already done similar (description here) but now want to control the RPM at which the flaps fully open.

Originally Posted by mike100
the vacuum solenoid I used allows vacuum thru them when no power is applied. This will close the muffler flaps. Applying 12v will cause the solenoid to block the vacuum source and vent the downstream end to the atmosphere allowing the vacuum diaphragms to open up and get louder.
Very interesting! Would venting to the atmosphere cause a CEL?
Old 08-09-2014, 04:53 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Why not just a foot switch in the dead pedal to control it to your desire? Too simple?
Old 08-09-2014, 05:10 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Why not just a foot switch in the dead pedal to control it to your desire? Too simple?
My switch is conveniently located in front of my center compartment, but I find myself constantly flipping it at around 2k RPM, hence this quest for automation.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Very interesting! Would venting to the atmosphere cause a CEL?
Nope...remember the vacuum source is completely independent of the manifold vacuum and any sensors. completely add-on.
the vacuum source is kept up with a 1-way check valve exactly the same way the brake booster is (but just a smaller version). The typical uses for the on board vacuum are for hvac vent controls, and maybe vacuum actuated valves for emissions. Newer cars are pretty much electric everything, but if you have NPP, you have a vacuum reservoir in the back of the car along with the 3 port vacuum solenoid. Really this is kind of similar to how turbo waste gates are controlled too. All you would need to do is tap into the NPP solenoid circuit with the rpm switch or rather you would disconnect the factory wiring and put in your independent control.

If somebody wanted to be super slick, they could hack the ecm binary and reverse engineer the memory location that holds the rpm value on which the npp is activated.

Last edited by mike100; 08-09-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:32 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BearZ06
A lot of people are happy enough with that scheme...mostly to keep it turned off all the time when driving through town. Some people the opposite
Old 08-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100

(snip)

If somebody wanted to be super slick, they could hack the ecm binary and reverse engineer the memory location that holds the rpm value on which the npp is activated.
The ECM doesn't control the dual-mode exhaust. There is an exhaust controller that does that. A number of people have been trying to hack it or learn how to calibrate it. As yet, I've not heard of anyone who's been able to do it.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:26 PM
bjmsam
Pro

I ended up using a #40822 RPM Activated Switch and a simple relay. The engine speed signal for the RPM input can be found behind the knee bolster here. The exhaust circuit is energized when the ignition is off (why?!) so I tapped the seat heater circuit for power. I used double-sided tape to mount the components in the area to the left of the fuse box where the LED can be seen and the buttons can be accessed for adjustment (increments of 100 RPM). Works (and sounds) great!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM
mjoacim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My switch is conveniently located in front of my center compartment, but I find myself constantly flipping it at around 2k RPM, hence this quest for automation.

Off topic, please don't behead me guys. But what head unit is that? It looks wildly factory yet updated at the same time, which I love. I also like having a physical **** for volume control, too. That one appears to have such.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:53 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by mjoacim
Off topic, please don't behead me guys. But what head unit is that? It looks wildly factory yet updated at the same time, which I love. I also like having a physical **** for volume control, too. That one appears to have such.
Yeah, you probably should have clicked the link in my signature block (OP).

Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Get notified of new replies

To adjusting bimode exhaust activation RPM

Old 08-15-2014, 02:59 PM
mjoacim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, you probably should have clicked the link in my signature block (OP).

Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation
Awwww, c'mon, man, lol. I wasn't paying attention to that, lol. Thanks for the info, sir!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:11 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by mjoacim
Awwww, c'mon, man, lol. I wasn't paying attention to that, lol. Thanks for the info, sir!
It's an awesome head unit and actually not too far off topic: I suggested to the seller that future versions should include trigger wires that Android apps could control to do things like... switch a relay when engine RPM exceeds a threshold!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Epic mod! I was going to suggest this thing based on throttle (as this guy is doing) but yours looks way cooler (and it's way cheaper). With a cool looking readout like that, you should wire in the glove compartment or center console.

I'd love to see a video of this in action.

I have a mild-to-wild button on my shifter, and I usually have the NPP's open all the time. But when closed, I'd prefer to have them open at higher RPM, not lower. Sometimes I want to take off quieter.

Andy of A&A had the M2W on his blown Z06 set up so it was always closed, or always open, but that affects the tune adversely. I drove that car once, very fun.

Quick Reply: [Z06] adjusting bimode exhaust activation RPM