Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 is a SuperCar

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:00 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ttx350z

To me, it shouldn't be what is basically a hot-rodded version of a base model. It needs to be a completely independent model to have it's own unique identity. It needs the performance, exclusivity, build quality and be able to draw a crowd and excite everybody's emotions while sitting still. That's what a supercar is to me.

I like this definition and I agree.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by propain

While the Z06 is an amazing performer by the time my ride is over I am reattaching some type of plastic or molding when its done. The shifter is rattling. The inside sounds like a sewing machine. The heat blasting through the center console from the exhaust..... I can cook an egg inside my center console. If you put your cell phone in there you could literally overheat it and kill it. Its a raw machine... but it aint no supercar.
Yeah right - and a Lambo is a pristine example of quality engineering? You apparently didn't read this month's Road & Track. They tested the Lambo and it overheated. Like the magazine said - it's Italian, what do you expect??
Old 07-27-2014, 11:58 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by vray
Supercar = exotic + expensive + high performance. The z06 is 1/3 supercar.
The ONLY guy to get it right, well put...

Last Sebring event - I passed a 2013 McLaren.

The ONLY 2 cars to pass me - a 2014 Ferrari and a Cabrerra (not sure what year). Both on R compound tires to my street tires (Michelin SS)

Had the tires been equal, I'm pretty confident I could have beaten them. I have $40k in my car, and another $7K in my engine, including my WCCH heads. I honestly believe that if they had non R comp tires I could have beaten them. I pulled away on the straightaways, but they were better in the tight corner, slower areas.

$47K equal to or beating cars 5X to 8X the price????
Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 AM
Mark Wade
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it cos i get more attention than most supercars that ive parked next to , be lucky if there is any more 30 Zeds down here in Kiwi land , rear as rocking horse --------. so yeh im with the supercar guy .
Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 AM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

The Z06 has ridiculous performance for its price point. It truly does have supercar performance. However, I reserve the description "Supercar" for the real big boys.
in 2006, it was a 'real' big boy, at least on the performance front.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got it!
Ditto.. Im feeling proud this morning just being apart of this group.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 AM
pikemike428
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO it also has to do with limited production cars.

That, along with many other items, makes them "special." One could argue, and I would have to agree, that the Z06/ZR1 have "Supercar Performance." But the large production of 30,000+ for the Z06, large use of plastics on the interior, NAV is the worst out of any car I have seen, cheaper leather quality, creaks in the chassis when backing out of a uneven driveway, leaf suspension, harsh to horrible ride on stock runflats, truck like tranny in the T-56, and slow cooker in the center console make it non supercar material. Many of these items I am slowly working on fixing to make it the best bargain deal in the world, but it isnt a supercar. I love the performance, the sound at full tilt, love the look, and the price, but just being real here.

Sports Cars with "Supercar" Performance: Nissan GT-R, Dodge Viper, Porsche 911/991 Turbo S, Porsche GT3, BMW M6, Mercedes Benz SL65, etc.

The "in between" Range (Between a sports car and a Supercar): McLaren 650S/MP4-12C, Lambo LP560/LP570, Porsche GT2, Ferrari 458 Italia, etc.

Supercar: Lamborghini Aventador, Ferrari F12, Ford GT, McLaren SLR, Ferrari 458 Speciale, Lamborghini LP570-4 Super Trofeo, etc.

Hypercars: Enzo Ferrari, Ferrari LaFerrari, Porsche 918, Porsche Carrera GT, Lamborghini Veneno, Bugatti Veyron Vitesse/Supersport, Koenigsegg, Pagani Huayra, etc.

This is my opinion of course, and I am sure others dont feel the same.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I disaggreee that it has to be exotic to be a supercar. I think supercar should be based on performance only (not just straight line, the 'ring time is a good measuring stick, straight line is not that important).

Because a car can be EXOTIC but not have SUPERCAR numbers. The Z06 is a lower level supercar for sure. That's my stance. We have crappy interior, rattles sqeaks, a McLaren F1 overheats, we all have our issues.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I think my Z06/Z07 is a super car! I'm just say'in.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by LFZ
Yep...it will happen all the time. I'm going to go ahead and warn you to not even drive a base/GS C6...you'll fall asleep behind the wheel.
Yep. I had a convertible LS3 with Z51 pkg, 6sp manual. I parted with it for the Z06. I had NEVER driven a Z06 before that and was quiet amazed.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Coach62
The ONLY guy to get it right, well put...

Last Sebring event - I passed a 2013 McLaren.

The ONLY 2 cars to pass me - a 2014 Ferrari and a Cabrerra (not sure what year). Both on R compound tires to my street tires (Michelin SS)

Had the tires been equal, I'm pretty confident I could have beaten them. I have $40k in my car, and another $7K in my engine, including my WCCH heads. I honestly believe that if they had non R comp tires I could have beaten them. I pulled away on the straightaways, but they were better in the tight corner, slower areas.

$47K equal to or beating cars 5X to 8X the price????

How is what he said different than what I said or others....

The Z06 is 1/3 supercar. The only thing super about it is its performance. He said exactly what everyone else said.

Sadly performance only is not what only makes up a supercar.

I have many cars that would destroy any production supercar in existence in the 1/4 mile and many with mods that would bury most on the twisties, Does that make those cars supercars? No, no it doesn't.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:08 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by erichg1000
I disaggreee that it has to be exotic to be a supercar. I think supercar should be based on performance only (not just straight line, the 'ring time is a good measuring stick, straight line is not that important).

Because a car can be EXOTIC but not have SUPERCAR numbers. The Z06 is a lower level supercar for sure. That's my stance. We have crappy interior, rattles sqeaks, a McLaren F1 overheats, we all have our issues.
this is exactly my thoughts on the subject.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

How is what he said different than what I said or others....

The Z06 is 1/3 supercar. The only thing super about it is its performance. He said exactly what everyone else said.

I have many cars that would destroy any production supercar in existence in the 1/4 mile and many with mods that would bury most on the twisties, Does that make those cars supercars? No, no it doesn't.
I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. What makes a supercar IS performance 1st. All else is a distant second.

By your definition a Bently is a supercar then. I mean it has a nice interior and a lot of horsepower, so it must be a supercar.

There are a few cars out there right now that have moved beyond supercar and into a new term - hypercar. These are hybrid AWD cars that are setting new unreal performance standards. Just look up the new Porsche Spyder 918. 0-60 in 2.2 seconds I think it was????

Anyway, by my definition our cars are the best of both worlds, supercar performance that most hard working people can afford.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

PS - I've owned 2 Z06's. Neither has rattled, squeaked or had any interior or other issues at all.

Maybe I just chose my cars better, or maintain them better or whatever.

It is my very firm, experienced opinion that these cars are amazingly dependable (less the exhaust valve guide).

I'd go further and say just to to some road coarse events, the Z's hold up with the best of the best - period.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:52 PM
pikemike428
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO a supercar is a car that you see once a year, if ever if you are in a 2nd or 3rd tier city, and once a month in South FL. Something that you will speed and cut people off to get next to. Something that is on your bedroom wall as a 10 year old boy along with now-Hypercars.

When I was younger it was the Countach and later on the Diablo.

Something that is unique and unmistakable for another model of the same brand-i.e. Porsche 911 Turbo is NOT a Supercar due to this.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:03 PM
markzeronine
Pro

The z06 in my opinion is a high performance sports car. I love the fact that it can outperform a LOT of more expensive supercars though!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Received 190 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by vray
Supercar = exotic + expensive + high performance. The z06 is 1/3 supercar.
Loving the equation.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 is a SuperCar

Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Coach62
I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. What makes a supercar IS performance 1st. All else is a distant second.

By your definition a Bently is a supercar then. I mean it has a nice interior and a lot of horsepower, so it must be a supercar.

There are a few cars out there right now that have moved beyond supercar and into a new term - hypercar. These are hybrid AWD cars that are setting new unreal performance standards. Just look up the new Porsche Spyder 918. 0-60 in 2.2 seconds I think it was????

Anyway, by my definition our cars are the best of both worlds, supercar performance that most hard working people can afford.
I gotcha. I'm confused as well then. The guy who you said "Got it right" you seem to completely disagree with then since he was saying the Z06 is 1/3 supercar. Meaning 2/3's of it is not a supercar. I believe everyone has said this.

The Bently Conti GT and SS are both indeed supercars in every possible way. So yes, I would call them a supercar long before a Z06. They are "exotic + expensive + high performance"

The Z06 is a sports car. Simple as that. Its the best bang for your buck easily on the market and it can keep up with a true supercar. Which to some makes it a supercar but only to those who cant buy a real one. That is no offense to anyone who owns a Z06. Its just reality.

Then you have supercars. Those cars are not your every day owned cars. They are rare, fast and quite expensive. You will see these around in your travels but most of the population will not own one in their lives.

Then you have Hypercars. These cars you would be lucky to see in person unless at a car show and 98% of the population will never own one.

Last edited by propain; 07-28-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM
markzeronine
Pro

Damn I needed some z06 owner help when I was trying to explain to this guy that the "grand sport is not basically an ls3 z06" lol https://www.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3507326-new-member-help-me-pick-my-first-vette.html
Old 07-28-2014, 07:05 PM
BadboyZ06
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I gotcha. I'm confused as well then. The guy who you said "Got it right" you seem to completely disagree with then since he was saying the Z06 is 1/3 supercar. Meaning 2/3's of it is not a supercar. I believe everyone has said this.

The Bently Conti GT and SS are both indeed supercars in every possible way. So yes, I would call them a supercar long before a Z06. They are "exotic + expensive + high performance"

The Z06 is a sports car. Simple as that. Its the best bang for your buck easily on the market and it can keep up with a true supercar. Which to some makes it a supercar but only to those who cant buy a real one. That is no offense to anyone who owns a Z06. Its just reality.

Then you have supercars. Those cars are not your every day owned cars. They are rare, fast and quite expensive. You will see these around in your travels but most of the population will not own one in their lives.

Then you have Hypercars. These cars you would be lucky to see in person unless at a car show and 98% of the population will never own one.
I agree and came across this supercar video today. It's quite expensive and ugly in my opinion. I came up on one on the freeway in my Z06 about 4 year ago and the driver just put his nose in the air and sped off. https://autos.yahoo.com/news/bugatti...163004350.html

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 is a SuperCar