Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] O2 sensor keeps going bad

Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 AM
ht600
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor keeps going bad

It seems like once a year I have to replace my up stream drivers side O2 sensor for codes P0030 heater control circuit (bank 1 sensor 1) and code P0053.

I have long tube headers and cats, and a cam and tune.

This is the third sensor I have gone thru in the same position.

Is there a sensor that anyone can recommend that will last?

P.S. I didn't have to use wiring extensions for the headers and the wiring looks good.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:56 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

what year model? It makes a difference. Later years have addl sensors.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:08 PM
ht600
Advanced

Originally Posted by tim414
what year model? It makes a difference. Later years have addl sensors.
It's a 2006 also the rear sensors are tuned out.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Hib Halverson
Safety Car
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,135 Likes on 592 Posts

With three sensors replaced, you likely do not have a problem with sensors at all.

I'm going to guess that the location of the bung for bank 1/sensor 1 is too far back in the driver side header. That causes the sensor to cool below where it works best. That, in turn, causes the ECM to turn the sensor heater on more often or even all the time. That, in turn, causes decreased heater circuit durability. When the heater circuit finally dies the ECM sets at DTC0030 (faulty heater circuit) then the sensor doesn't work properly, the ECM decides the sensor is running too cool and sets a DTC0053.

There is no solution to this problem other than either:
1) Having the headers modified to move bank 1/sensor 1 closer to the engine
2) Get better headers with a properly placed sensor bung.
3) Just keep replacing the sensor when its heater dies from being "abused".

I have found that the sensors with best durability are Densos and, in fact, the LS7 sensors I've seen are Densos.
The following users liked this post:
C5 Hardtop (06-05-2021)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:42 PM
ht600
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
With three sensors replaced, you likely do not have a problem with sensors at all.

I'm going to guess that the location of the bung for bank 1/sensor 1 is too far back in the driver side header. That causes the sensor to cool below where it works best. That, in turn, causes the ECM to turn the sensor heater on more often or even all the time. That, in turn, causes decreased heater circuit durability. When the heater circuit finally dies the ECM sets at DTC0030 (faulty heater circuit) then the sensor doesn't work properly, the ECM decides the sensor is running too cool and sets a DTC0053.

There is no solution to this problem other than either:
1) Having the headers modified to move bank 1/sensor 1 closer to the engine
2) Get better headers with a properly placed sensor bung.
3) Just keep replacing the sensor when its heater dies from being "abused".

I have found that the sensors with best durability are Densos and, in fact, the LS7 sensors I've seen are Densos.
That is probably my problem, makes sense.
Thanks Hib
Old 07-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Good info. I just had the same sensor fail at Track Attack for the first time. I have Kooks headers.

Jim
Old 07-27-2014, 05:23 PM
ht600
Advanced

I have Pfadt headers.

It seems weird that it is always in the same position. (but I'm pretty sure Hib is right about what is happening).

I've tried Denso and Bosch brands.

I just ordered a.n AC Delco.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:40 PM
flyloeZ06
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is an old thread... but I've been having the same problem with my 2008 C6 Z06. The right side bank 1 sensor 1 keeps burning out the heater circuit when I have track days. I had it replaced and drove city driving for a month without any problems. But within the first two track sessions, the check engine light came on
and from past track days, it's the same O2 sensor heater circuit. I have long tube headers from Texas Speed with rear sensor delete and no cats. The car has a mild cam and tune. This will be the third sensor I've replaced after track events. Car runs fine on track after the sensor goes, so I've been thinking about just putting in one of the bad sensors
as part of track prepping. Better than $150 sensor after each track weekend. I've read above about changing the position of the sensor, but wouldn't that also mess with what the computer sees and then it adjusts mixture? I read somewhere on this forum that someone corrected their issue by changing to another manufacturers header?

Also had an unrelated problem last summer, where after starting the car after it's been hot and setting a little, I then take off but when I come to a stop and put both feet in, the motor will drop rpm enough at times to die completely. Sometimes it catches and returns to normal idle, sometimes not. But after I've driven a few miles that
problem goes away. Any suggestions?
Old 04-07-2019, 09:32 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by flyloeZ06
I know this is an old thread... but I've been having the same problem with my 2008 C6 Z06. The right side bank 1 sensor 1 keeps burning out the heater circuit when I have track days. I had it replaced and drove city driving for a month without any problems. But within the first two track sessions, the check engine light came on
and from past track days, it's the same O2 sensor heater circuit. I have long tube headers from Texas Speed with rear sensor delete and no cats. The car has a mild cam and tune. This will be the third sensor I've replaced after track events. Car runs fine on track after the sensor goes, so I've been thinking about just putting in one of the bad sensors
as part of track prepping. Better than $150 sensor after each track weekend. I've read above about changing the position of the sensor, but wouldn't that also mess with what the computer sees and then it adjusts mixture? I read somewhere on this forum that someone corrected their issue by changing to another manufacturers header?

Also had an unrelated problem last summer, where after starting the car after it's been hot and setting a little, I then take off but when I come to a stop and put both feet in, the motor will drop rpm enough at times to die completely. Sometimes it catches and returns to normal idle, sometimes not. But after I've driven a few miles that
problem goes away. Any suggestions?
Change the headers or have the sensor bung moved foward. I had to replace o2 sensors with TSP headers. I swapped to ARH headers and had no more problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by jayyyw:
flyloeZ06 (04-08-2019), Joe Jorgensen (08-03-2020)
Old 04-09-2019, 02:55 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

i just started getting P0135 on mine (07 h/c/ex z06), ordered 2 ac delco sensors off amazon

after 3-4th time i start the light comes on, which is weird because the malfunction description is sensor heater related

hoping that the new o2s help it

running LG headers fwiw
Old 06-05-2021, 07:03 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
i just started getting P0135 on mine (07 h/c/ex z06), ordered 2 ac delco sensors off amazon

after 3-4th time i start the light comes on, which is weird because the malfunction description is sensor heater related

hoping that the new o2s help it

running LG headers fwiw
I know its an old thread but ---- My 07 Z06 has LG long tubes and no cats.....I got P0053 code come up on mine.....Im guessing bank 1 is drivers side front on the headers ? Will take a look but if so is the sensor hard to change ?

Last edited by zrc3john; 06-05-2021 at 07:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To O2 sensor keeps going bad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] O2 sensor keeps going bad