Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] To upgrade T56 or not? 1200rwhp...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:14 AM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default To upgrade T56 or not? 1200rwhp...

New bullet will be a touch over 1200 at the wheels. No 1/4 mile abuse intended but can expect the occasional spirited street runs. Not a DD either....just weekends.

Current T56 has only 27k on the clock but would I be running on borrowed time? Swapping out to TR6060 I feel the trans is going to be the weak link. Thoughts? Help and guidance is appreciated!

Best,
Mubarak.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:53 AM
Chance42
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baro0k@eXtermination
New bullet will be a touch over 1200 at the wheels. No 1/4 mile abuse intended but can expect the occasional spirited street runs. Not a DD either....just weekends.

Current T56 has only 27k on the clock but would I be running on borrowed time? Swapping out to TR6060 I feel the trans is going to be the weak link. Thoughts? Help and guidance is appreciated!

Best,
Mubarak.
I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, but my question is this, do you have a lot of money to burn? If so, go for it and have the peace of mind. If not, run that b*tch until it breaks. I'm sure it is an if not when type of ordeal on a stock t56. An upgraded tr6060 from RPM or the like would be the best option. I know in your other thread you didn't want to spend the extra scratch on changing to an A&A procharger bracket if you could help it, so I'm just offering my honest opinion.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:01 AM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chance42
I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, but my question is this, do you have a lot of money to burn? If so, go for it and have the peace of mind. If not, run that b*tch until it breaks. I'm sure it is an if not when type of ordeal on a stock t56. An upgraded tr6060 from RPM or the like would be the best option. I know in your other thread you didn't want to spend the extra scratch on changing to an A&A procharger bracket if you could help it, so I'm just offering my honest opinion.
Haha I already win the case since you know everything and got all my money back from my x partner and now starting my dream project again the bank will remove the block on my bank account on 2nd of Aug so I'll start ordering but you know whats break me the shipping charge to Kuwait. haven't met any of US army guys that can get me a free shipping to here yet LOL. So I think I'll just pay for the Fuel system a new F1X procharged kit with 10rib and RHS block or LSX not sure which one to go with yet, then I'll see if there is a few K's around I'll go for a tranny.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:27 AM
Chance42
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all in the goals. Iron block weight isn't really going to be that big of a deal at those power levels. The RHS block is a stout piece, though. It does require some different pieces from a standard LS7/LSX. I'd run a 427 LSX if I were building a car with your goals, imo. It will probably save you a few thousand, as well. Another option is the ERL 6 bolt superdeck setup, which keeps aluminum and is a stout setup as well.

If there is one thing I've learned with my build is, take the time you THINK it will take, and double it. Take the cost you think it will be, and add 30% (on the conservative side). You always end up upgrading more stuff while the car is down, and you run into things you forget about adding up (Fuel fittings, lines, etc). With your power level if you have not already, I'd consider a rps triple at the least and a quad wouldn't be a bad idea.

Whichever route you go, I'll be excited to see the outcome. Good luck with the build.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:44 AM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chance42
It's all in the goals. Iron block weight isn't really going to be that big of a deal at those power levels. The RHS block is a stout piece, though. It does require some different pieces from a standard LS7/LSX. I'd run a 427 LSX if I were building a car with your goals, imo. It will probably save you a few thousand, as well. Another option is the ERL 6 bolt superdeck setup, which keeps aluminum and is a stout setup as well.

If there is one thing I've learned with my build is, take the time you THINK it will take, and double it. Take the cost you think it will be, and add 30% (on the conservative side). You always end up upgrading more stuff while the car is down, and you run into things you forget about adding up (Fuel fittings, lines, etc). With your power level if you have not already, I'd consider a rps triple at the least and a quad wouldn't be a bad idea.

Whichever route you go, I'll be excited to see the outcome. Good luck with the build.

thanks for the great words I'll keep them in mind and also everything will be shown here don't worry just lets wait until the 2nd of Aug.

thanks again

back to topic those who runs TR6060 lvl V - Vi not more than that what are the positive and negative points about the RPM Transmission.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Which PC 10 rib kit are you going to run? Dallas? Cartek? ECS?

I'm still stock t56, no issues so far. I got a built 6060 in the garage but since it is such a pain to swap I'm waiting for the t56 to pop, but so far so good. Several cars have gone deep 8s on the stock t56.

It all comes down to money. If you are pulling the drive train and you have the money to do it then you should do the full RPM driveline. Built 6060, torque tube upgrades with shaft, couplers, bearings, RPM quaffie rear, DSS axles. Those parts will be more than the motor.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:29 PM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Unreal
Which PC 10 rib kit are you going to run? Dallas? Cartek? ECS?

I'm still stock t56, no issues so far. I got a built 6060 in the garage but since it is such a pain to swap I'm waiting for the t56 to pop, but so far so good. Several cars have gone deep 8s on the stock t56.

It all comes down to money. If you are pulling the drive train and you have the money to do it then you should do the full RPM driveline. Built 6060, torque tube upgrades with shaft, couplers, bearings, RPM quaffie rear, DSS axles. Those parts will be more than the motor.
going with Dallas sins Taylor is the first guy answered me. and I'll get all the stuff you mentioned up there.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:07 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by baro0k@eXtermination
thanks for the great words I'll keep them in mind and also everything will be shown here don't worry just lets wait until the 2nd of Aug.

thanks again

back to topic those who runs TR6060 lvl V - Vi not more than that what are the positive and negative points about the RPM Transmission.
For the past 5 years I've had a RPM TR6060 L5 and their L5 ZR1 diff along with C5 axles and some custom made half-shaft safety loops. The trans shifts FAR better than stock and is a pleasure to drive, but at 1200 rwhp any manual trans you use will have a limited life but at least with a L5+ TR606 you'll be replacing it less often.

If you really want to USE your hp and have something that'll live, you need to go with a 4L80.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:36 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

100% agree with that. 1000+ and a manual is just a headache. Take the money, do an auto.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2nd gear linkage became sticky on my t56 so went rpm 6060. I'd drive it till u need to take it out. Either break it or if it needed a new clutch
Old 11-08-2014, 10:09 AM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Figured I'd dig this up instead of starting a new thread.

I am currently running a RPM Level V T56 with an RPS Carbon Twin Clutch for my ~800whp setup. I am looking to be making a bit more here pretty soon (~1000whp) and I've been considering an RPM Level VII TR6060 and an RPS BC3. Future goals for the car will be north of 1400whp, so I'm not sure if I should bother changing anything else now if I'm not having any issues currently, or just upgrading them now for the reasons that I will eventually need these upgrades anyways. The car is an RHS 447, ProEFI, setup currently with traction control...not sure if that will help or hurt my cause at keeping all my drivetrain in tact. Mostly just a street car, with an occasional trip to the track just for fun...not looking to set records at the track or anything.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:20 PM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lane_change
Figured I'd dig this up instead of starting a new thread.

I am currently running a RPM Level V T56 with an RPS Carbon Twin Clutch for my ~800whp setup. I am looking to be making a bit more here pretty soon (~1000whp) and I've been considering an RPM Level VII TR6060 and an RPS BC3. Future goals for the car will be north of 1400whp, so I'm not sure if I should bother changing anything else now if I'm not having any issues currently, or just upgrading them now for the reasons that I will eventually need these upgrades anyways. The car is an RHS 447, ProEFI, setup currently with traction control...not sure if that will help or hurt my cause at keeping all my drivetrain in tact. Mostly just a street car, with an occasional trip to the track just for fun...not looking to set records at the track or anything.

one of my friends here is running the T56 lvl V on his 1500hp Z06 and everything is great with the RPS III so keep it until you need to change it. that's my point.

it's back to you brother.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 AM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea, that's pretty much what I decided. If it's working, leave it alone. I have no issues with it, just feel like I'm on borrowed time but so far so good.

Get notified of new replies

To To upgrade T56 or not? 1200rwhp...

Quick Reply: [Z06] To upgrade T56 or not? 1200rwhp...