Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] how many miles on your WCCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:15 AM
telly444
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many miles on your WCCH

I was curious how many miles your heads have on them? style of driving, mods, and if you have had another wiggle test done to see if they are still holding up. also if you have had any problems or issues with the heads.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:57 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1500 miles. Very spirited hwy driving. Just came back from a cruise and was doing a couple 7k pulls a little while ago. No issues now (knock on wood)

Cam/heads/exhaust.. The basic good sh** mods.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 AM
telly444
Racer

cam specs?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:24 AM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Just had the wiggle test done. All were in spec. 06 with 16k miles. A couple close but no big deal. I'll get it done at 30k miles again and see what's up. As much as I drive it will be 8 years before I get there.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 AM
telly444
Racer

16k and were close already. yikes. maybe my expectations are to high but really I don't want to deal with my heads again for a long long time. any feedback on American Hertiage head job?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

He has stock heads.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:15 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by telly444
16k and were close already. yikes. maybe my expectations are to high but really I don't want to deal with my heads again for a long long time. any feedback on American Hertiage head job?
The guy who replied to you, z76232, has stock heads.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...head-work.html
Old 07-26-2014, 10:18 AM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
He has stock heads.
Yeah, not sure why he posted that. Hopefully he edits it so it doesn't confuse anyone else.

I have about 3000 miles on my WCCH heads so far since having them done 6 months ago. With about 6000 miles per year of driving I probably won't wiggle test them until for about 3 years or 20k miles.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 AM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any feedback on American Heritage head job?
Only feedback on AH is that their customer service is top notch and everyone is very happy with their experience. They haven't been around here offering their LS7 head work long enough for any members to have any kind of real mileage on any particular package and subsequently no reports of long term guide clearance measurements.

I expect more WCCH heads with greater than 20k miles to start being checked in the next year or so, and then it will realistically probably be another two at least before we have people checking their AH heads. I don't believe AH has reported any guide clearance measurements from their heads with miles on them, but like WCCH I don't believe they've had a customer that has experience a failure.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:26 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ctsv510
Only feedback on AH is that their customer service is top notch and everyone is very happy with their experience. They haven't been around here offering their LS7 head work long enough for any members to have any kind of real mileage on any particular package and subsequently no reports of long term guide clearance measurements.

I expect more WCCH heads with greater than 20k miles to start being checked in the next year or so, and then it will realistically probably be another two at least before we have people checking their AH heads. I don't believe AH has reported any guide clearance measurements from their heads with miles on them, but like WCCH I don't believe they've had a customer that has experience a failure.
The question is sort of a loaded question in that many Katech done cars technically have "WCCH done Heads" on them. With bronze guides, albeit stock or titanium exhaust valves.

But I think that the original poster is trying to get a feel for bronze guide durability. If that is the case, well then, here is what was said earlier:

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Bronze guides have superior wear characteristics. This is why we use them in 24 hour race engines. If iron guides were superior we would use them in the C5-R and C6.R.
Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Bronze guides don't wear as quickly as PM guides. Bronze guides appear at this time to fix the problem and as I say we're monitoring it. I can say we're looking at other improvements to the valvetrain system, but rocker arms are not one of them....
If one really wants to know the answer, well then a start would be to check to see the highest mileage Katech Stage 2 cars in here to see what their guide wear measurements are using bronze valve guides.

Cars modded like what the original poster says that has planned, typically do not get a lot of miles put on them, and so it will be hard for him to find high mileage examples of what he is looking for.

FWIW Chad posted up this video on a set of heads from the shop the original poster inquired about, with 12K miles on them.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-26-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:54 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

For all that has been posted about factory vs. SS exhaust valves, I'm surprised we don't debate how the longer guide would help very often. For all we know, it alone could be the fix. (And the head job that goes with it.).

Good thread, I'm interested in how these hold up with mileage too. I can't extend my warranty again...
Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cam specs?
233/245.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:03 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

I'm looking for similar information the OP is asking. I'm a "do it once, do it right"person, and my expectation is to not have an issue for 100,000 miles after I've fixed the heads. My Z06 will not be raced, and will probably see 20,000-40,000 highway miles per year. I don't see myself performing "wiggle tests" every three months.

I've had my out-of-warranty Z06 for four days, and I'm ready to move forward, but I haven't found a clear path yet. Everyone who's "fixed" the problem argues for the solution they chose (normal human behavior), some who've never done anything argue there's no significant problem, and some report their LS7 dropped a valve while idling at a stoplight.

I love my Z06 now...I just want to ensure I love it 80,000 miles from now.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:04 AM
EZ SPEED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 6100 miles on my WCCH that Vengenace Racing installed for me.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:12 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
I'm looking for similar information the OP is asking. I'm a "do it once, do it right"person, and my expectation is to not have an issue for 100,000 miles after I've fixed the heads. My Z06 will not be raced, and will probably see 20,000-40,000 highway miles per year. I don't see myself performing "wiggle tests" every three months.

I've had my out-of-warranty Z06 for four days, and I'm ready to move forward, but I haven't found a clear path yet. Everyone who's "fixed" the problem argues for the solution they chose (normal human behavior), some who've never done anything argue there's no significant problem, and some report their LS7 dropped a valve while idling at a stoplight.

I love my Z06 now...I just want to ensure I love it 80,000 miles from now.
Buy a GMPP and keep it stock if those are options for you..
Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
I'm looking for similar information the OP is asking. I'm a "do it once, do it right"person, and my expectation is to not have an issue for 100,000 miles after I've fixed the heads. My Z06 will not be raced, and will probably see 20,000-40,000 highway miles per year. I don't see myself performing "wiggle tests" every three months. [...]
If you can't see yourself performing one at least every year at that kind of annual mileage, I'd suggest another vehicle (one without an LS7).
Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I was curious how many miles your heads have on them? style of driving, mods, and if you have had another wiggle test done to see if they are still holding up. also if you have had any problems or issues with the heads.
Unless they've had the guide clearance checked then those reports will be meaningless. A forum member had 88K miles on his stock heads, no apparent problems, but when he checked the clearance they were way out of spec.

"Running fine", "sounds good", "pulls good", "revs fine", "no apparent problems", without any measurements or inspection none of it means anything.

Get notified of new replies

To how many miles on your WCCH

Old 07-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Now a very interesting experiment would be for someone that puts a lot of miles on their car to have one head rebuilt with bronze guides, the other head with PM guides, then check them via wiggle test after, say, every 15K miles.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Tarostar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Now a very interesting experiment would be for someone that puts a lot of miles on their car to have one head rebuilt with bronze guides, the other head with PM guides, then check them via wiggle test after, say, every 15K miles.
I'd be happy to conduct this experiment on mine if you guys pool together the money for the heads and cover a new engine if needed. For science!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:48 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
The question is sort of a loaded question in that many Katech done cars technically have "WCCH done Heads" on them. With bronze guides, albeit stock or titanium exhaust valves.

But I think that the original poster is trying to get a feel for bronze guide durability. If that is the case, well then, here is what was said earlier:

If one really wants to know the answer, well then a start would be to check to see the highest mileage Katech Stage 2 cars in here to see what their guide wear measurements are using bronze valve guides.

Cars modded like what the original poster says that has planned, typically do not get a lot of miles put on them, and so it will be hard for him to find high mileage examples of what he is looking for.

FWIW Chad posted up this video on a set of heads from the shop the original poster inquired about, with 12K miles on them.
The 24hr race engine you keep speaking of is/was running a shaft mount roller rocker system (no real side loading of the valve). In this application Bronze is great. Bronze is not the best choice of valve guide material with a non roller tip rocker that causes lots of valve side loading.

The aftermarket bronze guide that the majority of rebuilders use may very well indeed be better than the factory's OEM PM guide. We recently sent a bunch of guides out to an independent facility to be tested. The Bronze guide was HRC25 (c scale,,,, this is in reference to how hard the metal is... lower number softer metal, higher number harder metal). We sent in a used oem gm ls7 guide that we knocked out of a head, it was HRC10 (c scale)... so in this case yes a bronze guide would be better than gm's oem pm guide. We also had our AHP aftermarket Hardened PM guided tested and it tested HRC40 (c scale). This would mean our hardened PM guide is harder than the factory's PM guide and harder than the aftermarkets bronze guide.
The point being the harder the guide the more likely it is to resist valve side loading. In other words the harder the guide the less the guide will wear when exposed to high levels of valve side loading.
Theoretically a harder guide should wear less all around than a softer guide.

So application makes all the difference. Bronze with shaft mount roller rockers = good. Bronze with stock non roller tipped rockers = not the best material for the application.

Last edited by American Heritage; 07-26-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] how many miles on your WCCH