Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] how many miles on your WCCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I drive my Z about 2K miles a year. Every time I start it it sees 6K RPM, but rarely more than 7K RPM. There are about 3K miles on my WCCH Stage II heads and I did a TORQUER 110 at the same time. All at around 10K miles. (560/511) I already headers, intake and a tune. Those three mods were done at around 5K miles, if I remember correctly. I will never measure my guides. IMO it is fixed. Even it is isn't, the joy/thrill that car provides me is PRICELE$$.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by American Heritage
[...] We sent in a used oem gm ls7 guide that we knocked out of a head, it was HRC10 (c scale)...
Holy Pot Metal, Batman!!!!

Curious, did they test the guide on the OD or the ID? May not make any difference, but ....

.... I've often wondered about PM guides, and this is probably a question for a metallurgist, but in the past I have run across sintered-iron parts in non-automotive applications and the conventional wisdom is to not machine or file on the outside of those parts since the 'hardness' is on the outside, not the inside. Supposedly.

Now a PM guide may be made with a different process, but I always wondered if machining the ID of the guide would not remove some of the hardness inherent in the unmolested external finish of the final product.

Alternatively, assuming the part in question was not treated with a surface hardening process (as those other parts I mention may well have been), and assuming the part was sufficiently heated to completely bond all the metal powder, then I suppose the hardness would be the same throughout.

Sure would be interesting to see that hardness test on the outside and the 'inside' (sectioned portion) of an OEM PM guide.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ClarksZ06
I agree with u. I don't think the OEM guides are the issue either. But maybe a harder guide would help slow down the wear or buy one more time.
The guide should be the wear item - not the valve stem. Just my opinion. YMMV.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Mark you always demand facts from people so how is your comment "they are locked in the past" not a complete assumption?
Clearly it is an opinion. No one would be foolish enough to claim that as a fact, or to interpret it as a fact. However, as an opinion it is based on fact (widespread use of dual springs when beehives have clearly been shown to be superior).

How do u know all these companies are stuck in the past. How do u know they are not using what works and has proven itself to hold up the longest to high horsepower builds?
Already asked, and already answered. And don't try to rehabilitate your argument post hoc by adding a "high horsepower" caveat -- this is the LS7 forum, not the alcohol dragster forum.

P.S. Many duel springs have proven to work well and control valves on higher lift cams when over the years many beehive springs have proven to have durability issues. This is a fact.
No, they have not. Man, you sure veered from taking me to task for stating 'facts' not in evidence

In fact, all the broken springs we've seen on this forum over the past several months are duals.

I'm not saying the PSI Beehives aren't a excellent choice just that most don't have the great record they have earned.
I doubt anybody on this forum has ever heard of a PSI beehive spring breaking. To claim that is not a great record is simply preposterous. It sounds like you are ....

.... living in the past
Old 07-26-2014, 08:01 PM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks, you are a bunch of good guys. I used to have the other car and belonged to the other FORUM and they would have just crucified me. Mistakes happen.

Originally Posted by Mark2009

Old 07-26-2014, 08:26 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Amen!!

Ran great until it didn't. Went from full throttle roar to Dead Silent except for tire and wind noise very quickly as coolant went through the intake to all the other cylinders.

Bill
I got the sister head to that one ,I can somewhat laugh now. I'm not a wealthy vette owner,it really hurt me financially for a year. I still love the Z06 I don't want get this going AGAIN but I can't believe GM left us hanging out to dry ? Please I'm in no mood to fight
Old 07-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Clearly it is an opinion. No one would be foolish enough to claim that as a fact, or to interpret it as a fact. However, as an opinion it is based on fact (widespread use of dual springs when beehives have clearly been shown to be superior).

Already asked, and already answered. And don't try to rehabilitate your argument post hoc by adding a "high horsepower" caveat -- this is the LS7 forum, not the alcohol dragster forum.

No, they have not. Man, you sure veered from taking me to task for stating 'facts' not in evidence

In fact, all the broken springs we've seen on this forum over the past several months are duals.

I doubt anybody on this forum has ever heard of a PSI beehive spring breaking. To claim that is not a great record is simply preposterous. It sounds like you are ....

.... living in the past
Mark, that test showed in that case the beehive was better. I'm sure there are cases were a dual is better. Generalizing that beehives are superior, or duals, or whatever isn't correct. You pick what works for you application. Just like GM went from a Beehive to a dual spring for the new COPO camaros with the high revving motor option. I'm sure they did that because they chose a spring that was best for the cam/rpm/etc they are using.

When a beehive/lighter spring can control the valve, use that. When you need more spring pressure than a single beehive can provide, start looking at duals.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by telly444
I was curious how many miles your heads have on them? style of driving, mods, and if you have had another wiggle test done to see if they are still holding up. also if you have had any problems or issues with the heads.
I had 25K miles and around 12+ track days on mine. They passed the wiggle test. Then shortly afterwards I decided to port them, port my intake and get a tune so I could keep up with my brothers who I track my car with.

So the guides needed to be replaced because of the porting but all the valves, springs etc were reused. They now have an additional 3k miles and 6 track days.

DH
Old 07-26-2014, 10:03 PM
telly444
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, if u haven't had those guides check you are insane! Or make to much $$$.
I make good money and I am insane. my wcch will be here in 2 weeks. she goes in for surgery in 4 weeks. if I can make it another month I'm golden ( fingers crossed)

Last edited by telly444; 07-26-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:08 PM
telly444
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSMOKE
I drive my Z about 2K miles a year. Every time I start it it sees 6K RPM, but rarely more than 7K RPM. There are about 3K miles on my WCCH Stage II heads and I did a TORQUER 110 at the same time. All at around 10K miles. (560/511) I already headers, intake and a tune. Those three mods were done at around 5K miles, if I remember correctly. I will never measure my guides. IMO it is fixed. Even it is isn't, the joy/thrill that car provides me is PRICELE$$.
yup once this done on mine I'm not even gonna look at any thread that has the word valve or head in it. My car is fixed no wiggle nothing , road trips and possible 1/4 passes with a smile. I'm soooo done with the valve issue.!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Unreal
Mark, that test showed in that case the beehive was better. I'm sure there are cases were a dual is better.
I was not speaking of one test. I daresay you'll not find any test wherein a beehive can do the job that a dual is better (in valvetrain performance).

Generalizing that beehives are superior, or duals, or whatever isn't correct.
Generally speaking, that is incorrect

You pick what works for you application. Just like GM went from a Beehive to a dual spring for the new COPO camaros with the high revving motor option. I'm sure they did that because they chose a spring that was best for the cam/rpm/etc they are using.
My information shows that a sodium exhaust valve and a PSI beehive is used on the new COPO Camaros (assuming that is even relative to the platform under discussion here): https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/copo-camaro.html

When a beehive/lighter spring can control the valve, use that. When you need more spring pressure than a single beehive can provide, start looking at duals.
I will agree with your statement of the obvious. However, in the stock or mildly modified LS7 realm which we are discussing here a single beehive provides all the pressure that is needed. Unless perhaps you've employed a Rosie O'Donnell exhaust valve . . . .
Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I had 25K miles and around 12+ track days on mine. They passed the wiggle test. [...]
Could you link us to those test results?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Could you link us to those test results?
I will be happy to link you to the post where you requested that I in no way address you or respond to your posts.

I don't understand why you are unable to do the same for me and infact now ask me to address you.

As I'm sure you have advised other: The search function Is Your Friend !!!

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 08-01-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:36 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by z76232
Sorry guys, I'm an idiot. Wasn't thinking. Everything I read is just about stock heads. I just have stock heads with 16k miles on them. Please forgive me.
Dave
No worries..18k on my 13Z stock heads..
Old 08-24-2016, 10:30 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by ATC399
No worries..18k on my 13Z stock heads..
Your lack of worries may be misplaced. One of the tech writers on this forum got new 2013 warranty replacement heads that from the factory had the valve concentricity with the seats in excess of the GM concentricity limit. If you still have the warranty, then don't worry, just get the heads checked before the warranty/extension is up.

My 09 with 47K miles had all exhaust valve guides and 6 of 8 intake valve guides beyond spec.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:33 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

1100 miles on WCCH Stage 4 heads, P&P, K501 cam, Katech TiMo intake and new OEM exhaust valves. I will have the guides wiggle tested and probably replace the PSI 1511 beehive springs at 20K miles.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:36 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

I always wondered if machining the ID of the guide would not remove some of the hardness inherent in the unmolested external finish of the final product.

If done correctly, no not at all.

Get notified of new replies

To how many miles on your WCCH

Old 08-27-2016, 11:55 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-is-good.html Mark2009 I see your still here ruining good threads

Last edited by ramairws6; 08-27-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:03 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-is-good.html Mark2009 I see your still here ruining good threads
isnt MARK banned?
Old 08-29-2016, 02:58 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAK
isnt MARK banned?
I assumed he grew tired of the un or under-informed "technical" posters, and decided to leave on his own.

If he was indeed banned, that was a mistake, and a loss for us all.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-29-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] how many miles on your WCCH