Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Alternative to Michelin run-flats??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:14 PM
roughrider1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to Michelin run-flats??

Has anybody any suggestions for a street legal track oriented NONE run-flat [hence lighter] tyre to replace 285/30-19 (front) and 335/25-20 (rear) Michelin Cup tyres on a Z06??
Old 07-23-2014, 02:44 PM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Default What has worked for myself...

The stock Goodyears not only provided less than ideal traction, they gave up last year at 8k.

After much consideration, not the least monies; I installed Michelin Pilot Super Sport 325/30 ZR19 rears. And 275/35/ZR18 fronts.

Since these are not "Run Flat's." I have a tire plug kit with a small compressor in the compartment adjacent of the battery box in back. (it is recommended not use a foam sealant as that could damage your tire pressure sensors)

Although I have not "Tracked" my Z06, the currently installed tires provide a much better ride (also less noise) and adhesion over the stock Goodyears...

Last edited by MyLastCorvette; 07-23-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have tracked the above tire and they are great. Arguably the best track oriented street tire out there.

For a more track oriented tire the Michelin cup or pirelli trofeo seem to be the best out there
Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Nick_
Advanced

^ I agree with the two previous comments. Pilot super sports all day.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:56 PM
roughrider1
Cruising

Thanks Fella's,,but what about the 20" & 19" tyres fitted to my car???? Any suggestions??
Old 07-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by roughrider1
Thanks Fella's,,but what about the 20" & 19" tyres fitted to my car???? Any suggestions??
Probably not. Sounds like you have a Z07 Z06 so you probably have the best choice for a track oriented tire that fits your wheels.

The Pilot Sport Cup tires have a similar tread pattern to the Pilot Sport Cup ZPs are the same tread wear and have 1/32 more tread depth. You would have to run 295/345. However, they will probably cost you more than the ZPs.

The Pilot Sport Cup PS2 really aren't sized for your wheels and you would have to drop to the 275 and 325 sizes respectively. However, they do have a 180 Vs 80 tread wear and come with 7/32 tread. Probably similar to the GY EMT which is 200 treadwear and 8/32.

Bill
Old 07-23-2014, 05:26 PM
roughrider1
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Probably not. Sounds like you have a Z07 Z06 so you probably have the best choice for a track oriented tire that fits your wheels.

The Pilot Sport Cup tires have a similar tread pattern to the Pilot Sport Cup ZPs are the same tread wear and have 1/32 more tread depth. You would have to run 295/345. However, they will probably cost you more than the ZPs.

The Pilot Sport Cup PS2 really aren't sized for your wheels and you would have to drop to the 275 and 325 sizes respectively. However, they do have a 180 Vs 80 tread wear and come with 7/32 tread. Probably similar to the GY EMT which is 200 treadwear and 8/32.

Bill
Thanks Bill.
This is the problem! Has anybody used Pirelli's equivalent, if so, do they do the same size?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,500 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Thanks Bill.
This is the problem! Has anybody used Pirelli's equivalent, if so, do they do the same size?
You can check Tire Rack for Pirelli tires, but I suspect the rears will run you $700 each, they are not a cheaper alternative to the MSPC's.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks Bill.
The Trofeo by Pirelli has been getting fantastic reviews in Road & Track. Just look up the new Z/28 reviews, they will touch on the tires. I'm just not sure what all sizes they are available in.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 AM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Default I would not and I'll explain why...

Since you didn't go into any modification to your ride height or suspension; I will assume it's stock.

Real smart engineers set the algorithms for the Active Handling, ABS, Traction Control with the stock tires the Corvette comes with. When you alter the ride height, or tire size, you risk those electronic aids not functioning as designed by the factory. That is fine for racing, but on the street where many different scenario's can develop; One might/would want those electronic aids functioning at their designed optimal level. (it's unlikely a kid is going to run onto the track chasing a ball, or "Grandma" pulls from the curb with out checking her mirrors. Or a "Mommy Missile" blasts through a red light) Not to mention you could run into clearance problems with a different fitment of tires...
Old 07-24-2014, 01:04 PM
roughrider1
Cruising

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
Since you didn't go into any modification to your ride height or suspension; I will assume it's stock.

Real smart engineers set the algorithms for the Active Handling, ABS, Traction Control with the stock tires the Corvette comes with. When you alter the ride height, or tire size, you risk those electronic aids not functioning as designed by the factory. That is fine for racing, but on the street where many different scenario's can develop; One might/would want those electronic aids functioning at their designed optimal level. (it's unlikely a kid is going to run onto the track chasing a ball, or "Grandma" pulls from the curb with out checking her mirrors. Or a "Mommy Missile" blasts through a red light) Not to mention you could run into clearance problems with a different fitment of tires...
Thanks, but as i said, i'm looking for original fitment size in an alternative tyre NONE run-flat. Just wondered if anybody over there has found any?

Get notified of new replies

To Alternative to Michelin run-flats??

Quick Reply: [Z06] Alternative to Michelin run-flats??