Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Fluid dripping onto right header

Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Fluid dripping onto right header

Hey everyone,

Since I've bought my Z06 (just over a year ago), just about every time I get the engine hot after a spirited (or just long) drive, once the car is off and parked I can hear a small amount of fluid dripping onto what appears to be the passenger side header (can hear the sizzling sound) and then see it hit the ground below.

This only happens for a few minutes after shut down. It hasn't gotten any worse over time, all gauges and fluid levels remain normal, and the AC being used does not seem to impact this one way or the other.

I've had a look at the fluid on the floor and it is clear and odourless so I assume it is water. My garage floor is not stained at all from this.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

My only guess would have been related to the AC condenser, but this happens even when I don't use AC (although I do use the fan - maybe the AC runs anyway?).

I was also concerned about a water pump issue but that is located at the front of the engine while this is on the passenger side back near the firewall.

Thanks
Anthony
Old 07-23-2014, 01:00 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

It's just condensation that builds up on the A/C line that runs behind the engine near the top of the firewall about the same height as the intake manifold. Look closely next time you hear it and you'll see where it drips from. Mine hits the header so it never makes it to the floor.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85
It's just condensation that builds up on the A/C line that runs behind the engine near the top of the firewall about the same height as the intake manifold. Look closely next time you hear it and you'll see where it drips from. Mine hits the header so it never makes it to the floor.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, just plain ol' water. When in doubt, taste it -- coolant is very sweet.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85
This is exactly what it is. I chased this the first time I noticed it, which coincidently just happened to occur after I did a head swap...
Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks guys - this is what I was hoping for. Just wanted to double check with you all on the forum and I'm glad I did.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

its condensation off the A/C line . worrisome at first but then relieved when the cause is determined

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To Fluid dripping onto right header

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Fluid dripping onto right header