Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Changing Plugs Anti Seize or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Changing Plugs Anti Seize or Not?

My 2008 Z has 25,000 on the clock and figured I would go ahead and change the plugs, I typically use Anti Seize on most of my toys, but thought I would check if there is a remote issue by using it on the LS7?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:54 PM
sky1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes
Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I have swapped a few sets of plugs on my Z, and have not used anti-sieze. I do recommend die-electric grease on the porcelain. It helps to keep the boots from sticking to the plugs

But, I did torque to 11ft/lbs on 1st install, and 8 ft/lbs on subsequent installs. Like when checking the plugs, and putting them back in.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

I have always used a light application of anti seize on spark plug threads for aluminum heads and I've never had an issue. Anti seize on plugs is not without controversy. NGK advises not using anti seize on plated plugs due the risk of over torquing.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-...1antisieze.pdf

On the other hand, Champion sells this stuff for use on airplane engines.
http://www.championaerospace.com/pro...ead-lubricant/

If you are nervous about using anti seize then stay with a plated plug. If you are pretty certain of yourself and your ability to use a torque tool, then apply a bit of anti seize sparingly and reduce the torque a bit.

Last edited by Bad_AX; 07-22-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Mregor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
My 2008 Z has 25,000 on the clock and figured I would go ahead and change the plugs, I typically use Anti Seize on most of my toys, but thought I would check if there is a remote issue by using it on the LS7?
I would always use anti seize on threads with 2 different metals as they tend to corrode and seize (duh!) if you don't.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

No. NGK specifically says no anti-sieze. They have a coating for anti-galling, and antisieze has been known to cause misfires in LS applications.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Z06 Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
No. NGK specifically says no anti-sieze. They have a coating for anti-galling, and antisieze has been known to cause misfires in LS applications.
good info!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

One of the first things to do if you are having a misfire it to make sure there isn't excessive antisieze on the plugs. The plugs need to ground through the head, and antisieze prevents that which can cause misfires, codes, etc. The factory and NGK plugs are coated and don't need any.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Anti-seize is an insulator??? Hu, I did not know that. Must be all that nickel additive... LOL

Yes, I'm being facetious. In fact, whenever we run into bolt up issues on crude and gas lines where there needs to be extremely low levels of continuity (but there is), and dielectric gaskets are used at the flange connections, anti-seize is a no-no on the flange bolts, because it is a conductor. Every time the piping segment bust a continuity test, first thing I ask the techs, is to pull the bolts and clean the threads, because someone probably used ant-seize.

Just don't get the crap all over the place. A little dab is all that's needed.

NGK is afraid of idiots and gorillas who don't understand torque values, and rightly so. Anti-seize goes on just about everything with threads that I touch, including my spark plugs. But I'm using Denso, so maybe that's why I'm so lucky.

Last edited by Michael_D; 07-22-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

My bad. I remember reading a bunch about it causing misfires. Went back and reread it. If any gets on the ceramic it causes carbon tracking or something and car will misfire. If you use anti-sieze against the recommendation of all the plug/oem manufacturers, make sure it is a very small amount and don't get any on the 1st 2-3 threads. Personally I'll go with what NKG, AC Delco, Champion, GM, etc say and skip it. Not only is it not needed, I can't see any positive effects from it. They say it causes less friction when installing which leads to overtorquing the plugs and it isn't there for anti-galling since they have the coating for that.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 AM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,135 Likes on 592 Posts

At the factory, the plugs are installed dry. Unless they are over-tightened or the plug threads or threads in the plug holes are messed up, you can put them in dry but, if you do....NEVER try to take them out with the engine hot and only use about 17-Nm

With some traditional anti-seize compounds contain a metallic component such as copper or moly. They conduct electricity really well and if you get some on the body, the porcelain or in the center electrode you risk misfire. When that happens, and the stuff is on the center insulator, the anti-seize compound will "bake on" and the plug is scrap.

I use anti-seize but I use a DuPont Krytox fluorinated grease product and only a tiny bit spread on just the threads with my fingers before installation.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 07-22-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added content.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

No need...........dry is the best... have installed hundreds of plugs, all dry and never had an issue even in our crappy climate.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Plugs Anti Seize or Not?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Changing Plugs Anti Seize or Not?