Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] [B]2008 Z06 Blown Motor[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

stock exhaust valves + stock guides = grenade with pin pulled. Heard that opinion in Bowling Green in 2007. Nothing has changed.
Sorry to hear about your engine failure. Been there myself.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:21 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyJas
I followed the advice of the shop doing the work by not doing any valve work if I was only looking for and extra 80-100hp. I had to argue for the shop to install the KATECH Torquer 116 cam (very mild IMHO) instead of their own custom cam which had an aggressive lift and I did't want to beat the valve train apart or lose low speed driveablilty. I was VERY happy with the cam choice. I dynoed at 560hp at rear wheals with stock valves and head but new rocker arm bearings, valves springs, adj lifters. I wanted and asked about titanium exhaust valves and was told it was over kill. Trust me people - I wish I had spent the money on the BRODIX BR7 heads I wanted so badly which I was told was unnecessary. By the way people, I spoke to half the vendors on here and have the emails to prove it but only 2 out of the many suggested valves jobs. I will respectfully reframe from naming vendors but I called everybody recommended on this forum and others and discussed my options until I was blue in the face or that wouldn't return my calls! HATERS GONNA HATE, I'm fine with that...
I'm sorry that it went this way. But no two ways about it, and no way to say it, other than to say it, but had you heeded the advice of several of the forum members in here, maybe it would have saved you a lot of trouble.

I only hope that you don't make the same mistake twice, and on the bright side, your example should help stop others from making the same mistake.

Folks when it comes to this matter, you can make your own mistakes, or you can learn from other's mistakes.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

No hating going on here, just trying to make a point so no one else makes the same mistake.

I had two shops tell me the same thing, no need to do the heads. It was my choice and I told them flat out the heads will be done - period.

You could have done the same thing and told them to do the heads anyway. Again - not hating on you here just stating a fact in hopes that others will learn. YOU opted to not spend the money.

Not getting the heads done with a stock cam is a bad decision.

Not getting the heads done with a performance cam is just insane.

These cars are pretty much bulletproof with the exception of the valve guides, we all know that.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anybody know about the LS7s built for the Z28 and if the valvetrain issues are fixed? [...]
Nobody knows.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I followed the advice of the shop doing the work by not doing any valve work if I was only looking for and extra 80-100hp.
[1] I had to argue for the shop to install the KATECH Torquer 116 cam (very mild IMHO) instead of their own custom cam which had an aggressive lift and I did't want to beat the valve train apart or lose low speed driveablilty. I was VERY happy with the cam choice. I dynoed at 560hp at rear wheals with stock valves and head but new rocker arm bearings, valves springs, adj lifters.
[2] I wanted and asked about titanium exhaust valves and was told it was over kill. Trust me people - I wish I had spent the money on the BRODIX BR7 heads I wanted so badly which I was told was unnecessary.
[3] By the way people, I spoke to half the vendors on here and have the emails to prove it but only 2 out of the many suggested valves jobs. I will respectfully reframe from naming vendors but I called everybody recommended on this forum and others and discussed my options until I was blue in the face or that wouldn't return my calls! HATERS GONNA HATE, I'm fine with that...
1. You did good arguing for what you wanted and refusing to be 'sold'.

2. Well, you got 'sold' there.

3. Without knowing exactly how long it's been since you had the work done (you said you got the car a year ago?), I suspect some peoples' opinion has changed over the past year since we've seen some evidence of original guides checking pretty good but going south soon after an aftermarket cam is installed. At the moment I suppose nobody knows why, but I think most of them now know that if you're going to upgrade the cam then you'd better go ahead and have the heads rebuilt at the same time. It does indeed suck for you that everyone didn't figure that out earlier
Old 07-24-2014, 12:43 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Don't beat yourself up. You should report the incident to the NHTSA at their website. Only two reports have been made for dropped valves - that is why GM gets away without a recall. Sure, your car was modified, but it is likely the guide to seat concentricity machining error was the root cause of the problem and it would have blown if left stock as well. Sorry this happened.

Please report to NHTSA.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I started my research on this issue about two years ago. I had two local shops tell me this is all internet hype. A 3rd in NC agreed. Clogan's post about his car and Vengeance Racing along with hours on the phone with WCCH sold me on getting my heads done. Richard takes a lot of heat on this forum for not being a vendor but he has saved hundreds of LS7's from he junk yard. So, for someone who does not spend a lot of time on this forum, I can see how the OP was lead in the wrong direction. OP, sorry for your loss.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 AM
CKSIX
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC
I started my research on this issue about two years ago. I had two local shops tell me this is all internet hype. A 3rd in NC agreed. Clogan's post about his car and Vengeance Racing along with hours on the phone with WCCH sold me on getting my heads done. Richard takes a lot of heat on this forum for not being a vendor but he has saved hundreds of LS7's from he junk yard. So, for someone who does not spend a lot of time on this forum, I can see how the OP was lead in the wrong direction. OP, sorry for your loss.
Well said Mark, and I agree. Most people that are not part of this forum have never even heard of a valve issue on the LS7.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Josh, how is your car doing?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:16 PM
79inSD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to the op, that sucks my z would be sitting the the driveway for at least a year if the motor went.

But just like what I was told, Just because it passes the test now does not mean it will pass in a few thousand miles. Some go at 10k,15k, 20k from just reading a few threads on the forum. 2.5k piece of mind or a 15k wild card...
Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 79inSD
Sorry to the op, that sucks my z would be sitting the the driveway for at least a year if the motor went.

But just like what I was told, Just because it passes the test now does not mean it will pass in a few thousand miles. Some go at 10k,15k, 20k from just reading a few threads on the forum. 2.5k piece of mind or a 15k wild card...

Did you have something done for 2.5K which would address the problem?

If so, then what?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2014, 08:57 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

God bless the ls7..... It needs it
Old 07-24-2014, 09:00 PM
79inSD
Racer

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Did you have something done for 2.5K which would address the problem?

If so, then what?

Thanks
Well that plus labor. If you have the heads redone to ensure they are correct. Hot topic I know. I am no expert but that is what was recommend to me
and then more mods once you save your money back up
Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 AM
spy2520
Racer

Does anybody know about the LS7s built for the Z28 and if the valvetrain issues are fixed?
I think those guys just started taking delivery of the cars a few months ago. I haven't seen anything yet on their respective forums.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:35 AM
telly444
Racer

well I was gonna wait till sept to pull my heads. Nope doing them asap. WCCH and KAOTIK cam!!!! **** this ****
Old 07-25-2014, 01:15 AM
C6zMyth
Advanced

Sorry to hear that....I am getting the GMPP this coming week. Scary stuff
Old 07-25-2014, 01:38 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 79inSD
Well that plus labor. If you have the heads redone to ensure they are correct. Hot topic I know. I am no expert but that is what was recommend to me
and then more mods once you save your money back up
I'm not sure that Quick knows your heads were completely redone at LG with dual springs and I assume SS exh valves as you indicated in another thread.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To [B]2008 Z06 Blown Motor[/B]

Old 07-25-2014, 01:41 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by telly444
well I was gonna wait till sept to pull my heads. Nope doing them asap. WCCH and KAOTIK cam!!!! **** this ****
Well I have a stock cam but already did what you are planning for the heads.

More and more guys keep going with this proven way to fix their heads.

DH
Old 07-26-2014, 10:54 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Well I guess I am the latest casualty as my Z06 engine seized on the way home from work Thursday night with 20k miles. As I was shifting from fourth to fifth gear, heard a bang, rattle and engine seized. No smoke, no oil, and no hole in the block as I can tell. Will pull heads to see how screwed I am. Bought an 08 with 9k mi a year ago and had the wiggle test performed at 15K mi when I had Katech Torquer 116 cam installed with Brian Tooley valve springs, Comp Cans Trunion upgrade, Comp Cams adjustable push rods, C5-R timing chain. Running with Callaway Honker intake and Pfadt headers/mid pipe with Akropivic mufflers at the rear. Setup was making around 620hp at the crank. Just sick to my stomach now...
Any updates CrazyJas?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:53 PM
ZR-1 Mark
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I just got back from leaving a deposit with SLOWHAWK Perf. in Mass. so he could order my TSP LS7X 265 heads. I'm not going to risk harming the original motor in my car for 4 or 5 thousand dollars.

There have just been too many failures

Quick Reply: [Z06] [B]2008 Z06 Blown Motor[/B]