Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] [B]2008 Z06 Blown Motor[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Sorry to hear this, again

Please update with more info as requested above.

DH
Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by croatbob
Wiggle test my ***. I'd never trust a 15k engine on a wiggle test. Like putting a condom on that's faulty n hoping u don't knock a bitch up. If it's out of warranty get the heads done. No 2 ways about it! Just my 2c
Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyJas
Well I guess I am the latest casualty as my Z06 engine seized on the way home from work Thursday night with 20k miles. As I was shifting from fourth to fifth gear, heard a bang, rattle and engine seized. No smoke, no oil, and no hole in the block as I can tell. Will pull heads to see how screwed I am. Bought an 08 with 9k mi a year ago and had the wiggle test performed at 15K mi when I had Katech Torquer 116 cam installed with Brian Tooley valve springs, Comp Cans Trunion upgrade, Comp Cams adjustable push rods, C5-R timing chain. Running with Callaway Honker intake and Pfadt headers/mid pipe with Akropivic mufflers at the rear. Setup was making around 620hp at the crank. Just sick to my stomach now...
Sorry to hear of this mishap. I know that you're sick to your stomach, you would have to be after this mishap. Anyone would

And sorry to have to say, that neither Tums, Kaopectate, Maalox nor Pepto-Bismol is going to do anything toward helping your stomach right now.

Only thing you can do now, is just accept the fact that your engine just took a giant crap, let that tear come to your eye, and your nose is probably going to run too, and understand that it is going to cost you $10-$15K. Then get get back on your feet and move on toward a new one.

Good luck, and I hope your stomach feels better soon.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:04 PM
TT32VGT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man.. really sorry to hear this.. all the reason to upgrade the shortblock and heads now!!

just so we are clear-you had all stock valves, not ss valevs.. right?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:46 PM
CrazyJas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Found hole in rear right side of block next to starter. Now looking for engines with warranty. I don't know of I can go back to stock 505hp but I cannot and will not put/pay myself into another ticking time bomb. I did not track or race the car but used all 620hp under the hood regularly. I don't have the wiggle test data but was told by the installer and read the the brass guides were not the ultimate answer as WCCH heads with brass guides had failed as well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...cker-arms.html

Haven't taken off valve covers bet I'm betting a dropped the stock exhaust valve due to guide wear. More to come...
Old 07-22-2014, 04:00 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

So you had heads redone or are you still on stock heads. Little bit of info please...
Old 07-22-2014, 04:46 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Found hole in rear right side of block next to starter. Now looking for engines with warranty. I don't know of I can go back to stock 505hp but I cannot and will not put/pay myself into another ticking time bomb. I did not track or race the car but used all 620hp under the hood regularly. I don't have the wiggle test data but was told by the installer and read the the brass guides were not the ultimate answer as WCCH heads with brass guides had failed as well.

Haven't taken off valve covers bet I'm betting a dropped the stock exhaust valve due to guide wear. More to come...
I think you mean "bronze" as opposed to "brass".

At any rate, sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I know that you may not have the exact numbers, but if you had a wiggle test, were the guides in spec or out of spec when it was done?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-22-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Its not clear from your post if you are stock or not (620hp?)

But you should call Richard. He has had no reported failures of his SS/Bronze guide/dual spring setups.

Sorry that you are joining many of us who have also lost stock motors

DH
Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
[...] But you should call Richard. He has had no reported failures of his SS/Bronze guide/dual spring setups. [...]
Well, that's not quite true. There has been at least one report of a SS valve tip failing. It was reported here. Then that report was disappeared by the OP. Funny how that works . . . . .
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Well, that's not quite true. There has been at least one report of a SS valve tip failing. It was reported here. Then that report was disappeared by the OP. Funny how that works . . . . .
Because story was bs. The op could not even say what shop did the work.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperX
Because story was bs. The op could not even say what shop did the work.
You must be thinking of another thread. But since it effectively doesn't exist any more people can choose to accept whatever reality they prefer.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Mark

You are free to think what ever you like. I will stand by my statement as it was told to me in person by Richard at WCCH more than once.

And I wish you would be a gentleman and stop addressing my posts just as you requested me to stop addressing yours.

DH
Old 07-23-2014, 02:51 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Have you thought about a LS crate engine? The LS 376 (525) makes 525 hp straight out of the box.

I can't blame ya for not wanting to go back to the 505 hp engine. Seems like the LS 376 should have beefed up parts to make 525 hp...?? It's listed Chevy performance website;

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...ls376-525.html

525 hp @ 6300 rpm they claim. Twenty five more (stock) than the LS7 and several thousand LESS....

Sorry for your drama and the hole in your pocket. Good luck.

Error: LS 372 (525)= twenty more hp vs. LS7

Last edited by tim414; 07-24-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 AM
2StrikeHtr
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
So you had heads redone or are you still on stock heads. Little bit of info please...

Old 07-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
This is the exact reason i dont even perform the "wiggle" test... Completely pointless if you ask me.
I had two shops tell me to do the wiggle test before I spent the money to send them to WCCH. Glad i ignored them and just sent them off anyway.

Sounds to me like he replaced the cam on stock heads. Sorry but there's no way - you should have known better
Old 07-23-2014, 03:37 PM
CrazyJas
Intermediate

Default stock heads

I followed the advice of the shop doing the work by not doing any valve work if I was only looking for and extra 80-100hp. I had to argue for the shop to install the KATECH Torquer 116 cam (very mild IMHO) instead of their own custom cam which had an aggressive lift and I did't want to beat the valve train apart or lose low speed driveablilty. I was VERY happy with the cam choice. I dynoed at 560hp at rear wheals with stock valves and head but new rocker arm bearings, valves springs, adj lifters. I wanted and asked about titanium exhaust valves and was told it was over kill. Trust me people - I wish I had spent the money on the BRODIX BR7 heads I wanted so badly which I was told was unnecessary. By the way people, I spoke to half the vendors on here and have the emails to prove it but only 2 out of the many suggested valves jobs. I will respectfully reframe from naming vendors but I called everybody recommended on this forum and others and discussed my options until I was blue in the face or that wouldn't return my calls! HATERS GONNA HATE, I'm fine with that...

Last edited by CrazyJas; 07-23-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 PM
CrazyJas
Intermediate

Does anybody know about the LS7s built for the Z28 and if the valvetrain issues are fixed? If I ordered an GM crate LS7 would it come off the same engine assembly line of LS7s going into the new Z28s. One option is to have GM install a GM LS7 short block @ $15k (they don't like cores with holes -weird) and get a 3 year 100k mile warranty.. to what maybe drop a valve? Since my heads are probrably shot I am also looking at having a short block built and throwing some Brodix heads on and staying with my cam choice which might make 620-650 at the crank...

Get notified of new replies

To [B]2008 Z06 Blown Motor[/B]

Old 07-23-2014, 03:51 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I followed the advice of the shop doing the work by not doing any valve work if I was only looking for and extra 80-100hp. I had to argue for the shop to install the KATECH Torquer 116 cam (very mild IMHO) instead of their own custom cam which had an aggressive lift and I did't want to beat the valve train apart or lose low speed driveablilty. I was VERY happy with the cam choice. I dynoed at 560hp at rear wheals with stock valves and head but new rocker arm bearings, valves springs, adj lifters. I wanted and asked about titanium exhaust valves and was told it was over kill. Trust me people - I wish I had spent the money on the BRODIX BR7 heads I wanted so badly which I was told was necessary. By the way people, I spoke to half the vendors on here and have the emails to prove it but only 2 out of the many suggested valves jobs. I will respectfully reframe from naming vendors but I called everybody recommended on this forum and others and discussed my options until I was blue in the face or that wouldn't return my calls! HATERS GONNA HATE, I'm fine with that...

Any reputable shop would tell you to do heads and valves. As a matter of fact I USED to think that this whole LS7 thing was a shop inspired fairy tale - because each shop I contacted told me to do this (back in 2010). And then when two of my friends had their valves drop and my warranty expired, Speed Inc did my heads and valves.

Sorry it happened to you, but please name the shops that told you not to do heads and valves. We all need to know who the idiots are so we don't send our future vettes to these places.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I followed the advice of the shop doing the work by not doing any valve work if I was only looking for and extra 80-100hp. I had to argue for the shop to install the KATECH Torquer 116 cam (very mild IMHO) instead of their own custom cam which had an aggressive lift and I did't want to beat the valve train apart or lose low speed driveablilty. I was VERY happy with the cam choice. I dynoed at 560hp at rear wheals with stock valves and head but new rocker arm bearings, valves springs, adj lifters. I wanted and asked about titanium exhaust valves and was told it was over kill. Trust me people - I wish I had spent the money on the BRODIX BR7 heads I wanted so badly which I was told was unnecessary. By the way people, I spoke to half the vendors on here and have the emails to prove it but only 2 out of the many suggested valves jobs. I will respectfully reframe from naming vendors but I called everybody recommended on this forum and others and discussed my options until I was blue in the face or that wouldn't return my calls! HATERS GONNA HATE, I'm fine with that...

DH
Old 07-23-2014, 05:18 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Does anybody know about the LS7s built for the Z28 and if the valvetrain issues are fixed? If I ordered an GM crate LS7 would it come off the same engine assembly line of LS7s going into the new Z28s. One option is to have GM install a GM LS7 short block @ $15k (they don't like cores with holes -weird) and get a 3 year 100k mile warranty.. to what maybe drop a valve? Since my heads are probrably shot I am also looking at having a short block built and throwing some Brodix heads on and staying with my cam choice which might make 620-650 at the crank...
Their the same except for minor changes in the tuning for broader/low end torque band.

Quick Reply: [Z06] [B]2008 Z06 Blown Motor[/B]