Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Thoughts on Shelby GT 500's

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:05 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

How you considered a late 2000's Aston Martin DB9? Still has some power and looks to kill for!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 AM
Twistedpixels
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
I'm in Chicago. RARELY see Shelby's on the road.

I'm thinking of the ZL1 now too. Same year,rice is the same.
I drove my friends ZL1 and it is too big and clumsy. If you are lookin in that price range get a CTS V like others said. Great car and looks cool in the 4 door in Black or dark grey if they are out there. I Don't like the 2 door. More refinement and comfort plus the power and fun.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:32 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistedpixels
I drove my friends ZL1 and it is too big and clumsy. If you are lookin in that price range get a CTS V like others said. Great car and looks cool in the 4 door in Black or dark grey if they are out there. I Don't like the 2 door. More refinement and comfort plus the power and fun.
Why don't you like the 2 door CTS-V? Asides from the fact that the back seats are not as functional (same with most sporty cars, i.e. awkward back seats)?

There's no performance gain with the coupe over the sedan but don't you think it looks sportier?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

One word.Hellcat!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:15 AM
silverarrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mustang vs ZO6

The Mustang is OBESE, overweight, very nose heavy and quite unable to put the horsepower down on the pavement, handling is not its strong suit. It looks is ok but a big motor does not a sports car make......
Just my 2 cents worth
Old 07-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
How you considered a late 2000's Aston Martin DB9? Still has some power and looks to kill for!
I want something w/ a warranty and not going to cost me a sh** ton to fix. Ill look at those still. Didnt even consider them

Originally Posted by Twistedpixels
Compared to the Z, everything will be big and clumsy. My G8 is big/clumsy too, and im sure ill have no issues telling the difference going to ZL1.
Only V I would consider is the blue 1 bc no 1 has that color, but theyre still expensive. Ill test drive the V again just to make my final decision.

Originally Posted by Adam_W
Why don't you like the 2 door CTS-V? Asides from the fact that the back seats are not as functional (same with most sporty cars, i.e. awkward back seats)?

There's no performance gain with the coupe over the sedan but don't you think it looks sportier?

2 door V looks like sh**.

Originally Posted by camirocz
One word.Hellcat!

waaaaaay to expensive. AND around my area no 1 tunes mopars. Knowing myself I would want to mod the thing and squeeze more power out of it.

Originally Posted by silverarrow
The Mustang is OBESE, overweight, very nose heavy and quite unable to put the horsepower down on the pavement, handling is not its strong suit. It looks is ok but a big motor does not a sports car make......
Just my 2 cents worth
Im not tracking the car just hwy fun, so twisting around corners is not applicable for my scenario.

Heres the color combo Iw as thinking of doing.

http://gtcarlot.com/car/87518059 pretty sexy isnt she. Like a pretty thick girl ..
Old 07-23-2014, 04:50 PM
markzeronine
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't lie, that looks damn good. What's the price for a 14 like that

I want something w/ a warranty and not going to cost me a sh** ton to fix. Ill look at those still. Didnt even consider them

Compared to the Z, everything will be big and clumsy. My G8 is big/clumsy too, and im sure ill have no issues telling the difference going to ZL1.
Only V I would consider is the blue 1 bc no 1 has that color, but theyre still expensive. Ill test drive the V again just to make my final decision.

2 door V looks like sh**.

waaaaaay to expensive. AND around my area no 1 tunes mopars. Knowing myself I would want to mod the thing and squeeze more power out of it.

Im not tracking the car just hwy fun, so twisting around corners is not applicable for my scenario.

Heres the color combo Iw as thinking of doing.

http://gtcarlot.com/car/87518059 pretty sexy isnt she. Like a pretty thick girl ..
Old 07-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by markzeronine
Can't lie, that looks damn good. What's the price for a 14 like that
For 2014, theyre averaging low-mid 50k. For a 2013 theyre high 40s, low 50k. 2k miles avg on the ticker. That inludes navi, sunroof, recaro seats, leather/suede. 600 ponies stock--- a lot of rubber burning fun.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

For 2014, theyre averaging low-mid 50k. For a 2013 theyre high 40s, low 50k. 2k miles avg on the ticker. That inludes navi, sunroof, recaro seats, leather/suede. 600 ponies stock--- a lot of rubber burning fun.
That performance for high 40s is tough to beat!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:01 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
That performance for high 40s is tough to beat!

Real nice car for the money.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:15 PM
flyby763
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are you finding these deals at? I must be looking in the wrong places.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thoughts on a 13'/14' Shelby GT 500? Looking for another fun toy or trading in my G8 for a daily.
I would consider a boss 302 also. Their motors are forged like the Shelby and respond very well to mods.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Saw a couple at Autotrader... cars... and just local dealer websites.

Dont want to do N/A for a mustang. I would want something with a blower on it already. Swap the pulley/TB, tune, exhaust and BOOM 700 to the wheels.. add e85 and more power... bolt and go...
Old 07-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

I seriously considered the Shelby, but I'm very glad I went with the Z06. I would have been pretty miserable getting my azz kicked at the track by a stock C7, let alone a Z06

Not to sound like a snob, but have you been to a Mustang meet or show? They are a different class of people for sure. At Corvette meetings like the NCM track events everyone is very friendly and social. Not so for the mustang meets I've been to. Sure some are very friendly, but most seem not to be, and this is based on 3-4 events I've been to.

Some of us Corvette people went over to try and socialize with some mustang people at a recent Vette vs Stang show. One guy commented it was like the bar scene in the movie Wild Hogs. I felt it was more like the bar scene in the first Star Wars LOL....
Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Wulverine
I would consider a boss 302 also. Their motors are forged like the Shelby and respond very well to mods.
There is no replacement for displacement.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:28 AM
markzeronine
Pro

Wow I didn't know the price was so "low". You're right, a lot of car for the money
Old 07-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Coach62
I seriously considered the Shelby, but I'm very glad I went with the Z06. I would have been pretty miserable getting my azz kicked at the track by a stock C7, let alone a Z06

Not to sound like a snob, but have you been to a Mustang meet or show? They are a different class of people for sure. At Corvette meetings like the NCM track events everyone is very friendly and social. Not so for the mustang meets I've been to. Sure some are very friendly, but most seem not to be, and this is based on 3-4 events I've been to.

Some of us Corvette people went over to try and socialize with some mustang people at a recent Vette vs Stang show. One guy commented it was like the bar scene in the movie Wild Hogs. I felt it was more like the bar scene in the first Star Wars LOL....

Lol it's the dreaded Chevy vs Ford dispute.. Chevy hates Ford....Ford hates Chevy. A car enthusiast will like all vehicles, EVEN the Honda civics.

Wow I didn't know the price was so "low". You're right, a lot of car for the money
A lot of good stuff for a daily..

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on Shelby GT 500's

Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Test drove a 2013 GT500 today at Carmax. Granted, I only had a few straights, an on-ramp, and a few minutes on the freeway to get a feel for WOT, and of course no opportunity to test handling. Was powerful but I could feel the weight, and was not more fun than my stock Z06. This was based on a very limited exposure to the car, I'd love to borrow it for a half day from someone. Wish I could test out a supercharged grand sport.

Last edited by Adam_W; 07-24-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:11 AM
markzeronine
Pro

I agree, a longer term drive makes all the difference sometimes. I had a ctsv for a couple of days and I literally couldn't wipe the smile off my face. At that time I had a base c6 ls3 car and the v felt better in every category. I almost skipped buying a z06 because of that car. A couple of months later I did buy a z06 which continues to blow my mind in stock form. I just drove the ctsv again a couple of days ago and it felt like a complete dog compared to the Z and ruined the awesome memories of what an amazing car I originally thought it was.. funny how that works. I'd still love to have one as a daily but if you really don't need back seats (mustang seats don't count lol) I bet the gt500 would be a blast.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adam_W
Test drove a 2013 GT500 today at Carmax. Granted, I only had a few straights, an on-ramp, and a few minutes on the freeway to get a feel for WOT, and of course no opportunity to test handling. Was powerful but I could feel the weight, and was not more fun than my stock Z06. This was based on a very limited exposure to the car, I'd love to borrow it for a half day from someone. Wish I could test out a supercharged grand sport.
Comparing the GT500 to the Z will be night and day. Going from my built G8 to the GT500 will be a HUGE difference. Also the weight difference too will be different-- 4300lbs for the G8 or 3600 (I belive) on the GT500.

I agree, a longer term drive makes all the difference sometimes. I had a ctsv for a couple of days and I literally couldn't wipe the smile off my face. At that time I had a base c6 ls3 car and the v felt better in every category. I almost skipped buying a z06 because of that car. A couple of months later I did buy a z06 which continues to blow my mind in stock form. I just drove the ctsv again a couple of days ago and it felt like a complete dog compared to the Z and ruined the awesome memories of what an amazing car I originally thought it was.. funny how that works. I'd still love to have one as a daily but if you really don't need back seats (mustang seats don't count lol) I bet the gt500 would be a blast.
You definitely get spoiled. Im sure once I trade in the G8 for the Shelby, ill be getting used to the power, then the power adders will come in.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Thoughts on Shelby GT 500's