Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
View Poll Results: A Pillar Gauge or Dashlogic to monitor boost/fuel
A Pillar Gauges
25.00%
Dash Logic
75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

[Z06] A pillar Gauges or Dash logic

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default A pillar Gauges or Dashlogic to monitor boost/fuel

Been reading quite alot on the dash logic, and it's a neat little device. Which 1 of the 2 would me more accurate? What would you guys prefer? I like the clean look of the dash logic since it uses your DIC, but I wouldn't mind having the gauges on the pillar.

Poll included..

Last edited by Rupert pupkin; 07-14-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:35 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For actual racing the pillar gauges will be better, since you won't have time to be fiddling with the DIC.

However, you will probably need to plumb separate sensors for the pillar gauges, depending on what you want to monitor.

Either will be equally accurate as long as you use quality components. In fact it seems that the ECM/BCM seems to use some weird conversions/scaling for some sensor inputs (oil temp for one, oil pressure for another), so it will again depend on what you want to monitor.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:36 AM
blacktavert
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about accuracy but I love my dashlogic
I am not a fan of everybody being able to see the a pillar gauges, so the dashlogic allows me to change what I see on the HUD and DIC
Old 07-14-2014, 12:41 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark2009
For actual racing the pillar gauges will be better, since you won't have time to be fiddling with the DIC.

However, you will probably need to plumb separate sensors for the pillar gauges, depending on what you want to monitor.

Either will be equally accurate as long as you use quality components. In fact it seems that the ECM/BCM seems to use some weird conversions/scaling for some sensor inputs (oil temp for one, oil pressure for another), so it will again depend on what you want to monitor.
Just boost and fuel pressure...Really more concerned about fuel pressure.

Originally Posted by blacktavert
Not sure about accuracy but I love my dashlogic
I am not a fan of everybody being able to see the a pillar gauges, so the dashlogic allows me to change what I see on the HUD and DIC
I agree. Having the ability to see the gauges definitely attracts more attention--good and bad.

Last edited by Rupert pupkin; 07-14-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I'm pretty sure there is no factory sensor for fuel pressure. You'll need to plumb a separate gauge. There are some sensor adapters for the factory fuel line plumbing, not cheap of course (quick disconnect with an NPT port).
Old 07-14-2014, 01:01 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Have to plumb a different sensor for FP.

Dash logic all the way. Put the info up on the hud. Or setup warnings to do whatever you want and the car will beep, flash, or do whatever you set it up for. No need to look at gauges, something goes wrong and it makes the car flip out.

Have it setup to warn for anything you want, it is fully programmable
AFR<11.5 while TPS>90
KR>2 while TPS>90
IAT>140
FP<58
Etc, no need to stare at anything, just let it monitor for you and chime/flash the hud/dash when something is not right.

Plus you can monitor just about anything, measures 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc.

Accuracy is all dependant on the sensors/etc. Dash logic and gauges do nothing but display the data they are given.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:35 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I dunno, hopefully I'll get better as time goes by, but my first track outing with a C6 Z06 and I pretty much didn't have time to look at anything inside the cockpit. And this wasn't my first rodeo.

I did look at the DIC once when the car got squirrelly on corner exit. It said "Traction Control, Dumbass". I looked at it maybe once every 10 laps otherwise. It said "Oil Temperature Okay" (235F).

Based on past experience (limited) if it's important I want a gauge, and I want it pointing straight up at normal readings. Otherwise I ain't got time to deal with it.

One lap I was low on power. Didn't have any idiot (CEL/MIL) llights. Had it in the wrong damn gear after a f'ed up entry into T2 with a car ahead off the track in the chute between T1 and T2 (5th gear instead of 3rd). Took me half a lap to figure it out, give point byes, etc. F me, get rid of the computers and the fuel injection and give me a four speed Muncie with bias ply tires so I can keep up mentally
Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal

Dash logic all the way. Put the info up on the hud. Or setup warnings to do whatever you want and the car will beep, flash, or do whatever you set it up for. No need to look at gauges, something goes wrong and it makes the car flip out.

AFR<11.5 while TPS>90
KR>2 while TPS>90
IAT>140
FP<58
Etc, no need to stare at anything, just let it monitor for you and chime/flash the hud/dash when something is not right.

Accuracy is all dependant on the sensors/etc. Dash logic and gauges do nothing but display the data they are given.
Totally forgot about the alarms it can do, really cool that you can basically use it as a when to shift beep. Gonna set mine up for that now
Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

You shift when the car quits pulling

Last edited by Mark2009; 07-14-2014 at 01:59 AM. Reason: smiley dental work
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Mark, you need to try a dash logic out, because having everything on the hud and user programable warnings, both visual and audable are 100x better than gauges on the pillar. When the HUD starts flashing a warning and the car starts beeping you pay attention a lot more than a needle moving. There is no comparison to how much better it is to have info on the hud than on a gauge off to the side.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Oh, I've thought about it, but for routine stuff I'd rather have the gauge.

Now for alarms and stuff, that's a different ballgame. A computer can do a much better job of monitoring out-of-range conditions and alerting the driver.

But for keeping an eye on stuff like oil pressure, coolant temp, oil temp, etc, I find a gauge better for that, especially on the track. But even if I do have the gauge then a computer-monitored alert would be a welcome addition. I guess I'm saying both approaches have good points and bad points.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

AFR<11.5 while TPS>90
KR>2 while TPS>90
IAT>140
FP<58

Im assuming thats what you have on your setup?

I totally forgot about the AFR, and the alerts. From the looks of it, theyre about the same price if not more for the gauges. When the gauges and pillars are combined- avg 70 for the pillar and avg of 80 each for the gauges + install. So hypothetically the gauge route is more.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I mess with mine all the time. I actually have both because I have been too lazy to find an a-pillar without the holes in it and rewire the gauges so I use the dashlogic and have the AEM output and and FP sensor wired to it, and the AEM wideband and aeroforce still in the pod even though the aeroforce just plugs the whole most of the time.

One day when I find a new a-pillar I'll take the gauges off as they just get in the way and annoy me. Any important info is on the hud. No need to look over and take eyes off the road.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:54 PM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AFR<11.5 while TPS>90
KR>2 while TPS>90
IAT>140
FP<58

update us with some photo if possible, I would love to see them since I got bored of AEM's.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Photos of what? The hud? The dic? Goto palmers site, they have photos/video.

Never even though of the last one. Can have it show meth spraying or not with Dave's Flex time module or display ethanol percent with flex fuel kit.

Last edited by Unreal; 07-14-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A pillar Gauges or Dash logic

Quick Reply: [Z06] A pillar Gauges or Dash logic