Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve Guide Issue Concern - 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 AM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Default Valve Guide Issue Concern - 2007

I am going to look at a 2007 Z06 with 17,800 miles.

After reading ~20+ pages on the stickied issue of the valve problem, I am starting to second guess myself.

Does anyone have a solid running Z06? What percentage of the engines see issues?

Any information would be helpful!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:11 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Lmmfao
Old 07-11-2014, 10:14 AM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ve-issues.html
Old 07-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsVette04

After reading ~20+ pages on the stickied issue of the valve problem, I am starting to second guess myself.

Does anyone have a solid running Z06? What percentage of the engines see issues?

It is hard to know how many people have actually had problems since things are repeated over and over. I know of 9 engines that dropped valves including mine. All but one were replaced under GM Warranty. The one that wasn't replaced under warranty was a modified engine that dropped an intake valve but didn't suffer severe damage to the cylinder so the owner replaced the heads at his expense. There were something like 30K LS7 engines shipped in Vettes from the Aug of 05 through Feb of 13. I suspect the number of failures is in the several hundred range. Based on the sticky GM supposedly corrected a machining error at a supplier in Feb. 2011. I have not heard of any failures in any engine produced after that time. However, even if GM didn't actually resolve the problem the production numbers were very low and given the fact that most Vettes aren't driven much it is highly possible that none from that time period will show up during our life times. Over half of the LS7 production from 2011 through 2013 was allocated to the 427 Vert and most of those are sitting on pedestals in environmentally controlled storage locations.

As for a solid running Z06 mine is as solid as it can be. The engine was replaced in Sept. 2011 with an engine produced in May of 2011. Since then it has accumulated 13K miles. There usually is no warning when a valve will drop. No excessive oil consumption, no reduction in performance, no noticeable increase in engine noise. My original engine went 24K miles and ran strong right up to the time the valve head broke off and dropped into the cylinder. Then everything got very quiet.

Bill
Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 AM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LFZ
Lmmfao
Not really sure how that added anything to my question...?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

just under 50k with my 07, runs and sounds just like it should.....
Old 07-11-2014, 10:35 AM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The vast majority of people have solid running cars here, at least from the outside. There is little to no indication of any problems before a valve drops and destroys a motor.

Currently about 87% of those tested for valve guide clearance have come back out of GM service specifications, which means if your car was under warranty then GM would replace the heads. It is likely that excessive guide wear is the cause of valve breakage, which will destroy your motor.

We can't predict at this time under exactly what circumstances or guide clearances a valve will break and drop, but the best thing you can do is have the guide clearances measured, and if out of spec then have the head reworked by a competent machine shop. It is then generally recommended to check the guide clearances again down the road to make sure the new guides are not wearing.

In shopping for a Z06, consider those with reworked heads more valuable than those with stock heads assuming a reputable shop did the work, and if you're looking at one with untouched stock heads, budget $150-$300 for a wiggle test and potentially $2k-$3k to have the heads redone if out of spec.

No need to fear these cars, just educate yourself and take the necessary steps to protect it.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:38 AM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 10:41 AM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ctsv510
The vast majority of people have solid running cars here, at least from the outside. There is little to no indication of any problems before a valve drops and destroys a motor.

Currently about 87% of those tested for valve guide clearance have come back out of GM service specifications, which means if your car was under warranty then GM would replace the heads. It is likely that excessive guide wear is the cause of valve breakage, which will destroy your motor.

We can't predict at this time under exactly what circumstances or guide clearances a valve will break and drop, but the best thing you can do is have the guide clearances measured, and if out of spec then have the head reworked by a competent machine shop. It is then generally recommended to check the guide clearances again down the road to make sure the new guides are not wearing.

In shopping for a Z06, consider those with reworked heads more valuable than those with stock heads assuming a reputable shop did the work, and if you're looking at one with untouched stock heads, budget $150-$300 for a wiggle test and potentially $2k-$3k to have the heads redone if out of spec.

No need to fear these cars, just educate yourself and take the necessary steps to protect it.
Very well said, thank you for the information.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:46 AM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ctsv510

pretty much my thoughts on the subject. i've considered this, pondered how incredible this car drives, decided to keep my car for at least a couple more years (probably more than a few more years), and then reworked my heads and resigned myself to doing regular wiggle tests and monitoring blackstone since i went Ti exhaust. i'm in the 87%; my exhaust valves were most definitely OOS. i'm considering regular wiggle tests to be 'preventative maintenance'. i guess most chevy guys aren't accustomed to this, but look at the regularly scheduled maintenance of other super high performance cars, and this isn't totally out of line. what is out of line is the lack of root cause from GM and the fact that we're left to figure it out for ourselves. (for examples of doing things right when there exists a design/manufacturing defect that can crater a high $$$ engine, consider BMW S65 and S85 rod bearing recalls recalls and how porsche handled the recent 991 GT3 rod failures). GM needs to take note of this. i am at the point where i can now afford a new CZ7 if i choose to, but my $$$ may end up somewhere else.

Last edited by nitrojunky; 07-11-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:54 AM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Well, I guess I have no choice but to go for it.

An extended warranty seems mandatory, so I will certainly look into that.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:05 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

My 06 had 45k miles on it with no problems and no ticking noise at all. Ran perfect. I just replaced my heads just for peace of mind. I did not have the wiggle test done and have no idea if my heads were out of spec or not. I did ask the shop that did the work to check, but they never did. I guess it was too much trouble.

I would say if the price is right, go for it. You may want to look into having the heads done at a later date. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Either get a warranty or plan on checking the heads on regular internals and replace guides when they are out of spec. It is as simple as that. I pretty much consider them a wear item on an ls7 that needs to be checked and replaced when needed. Just like bushings, clutch, ball joints, tires, brake pads, etc. It is just something to monitor and deal with. Keep $2-4k around in case repairs need to be made.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Homeboy77
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ugh. My mechanic just called and told me that two of my valve guides are so bad that they have to be bored and sleeved. 36K miles. Luckily I decided to have them worked on before a dropped valve. Oh well. Still love my Z.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:17 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Well, I guess I have no choice but to go for it.

An extended warranty seems mandatory, so I will certainly look into that.

You can pay for an extended warranty or you can pay to have the issue addressed. Both are probably close in price. If you plan on keeping the car only for the term of the warranty then I say warranty. If not address the issue if its a problem with your car.

One thing I will warn you about is if you are going to get the extended warranty make sure the car is not or has never been tuned. They will deny the claim if it had.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:22 PM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Just had the wiggle test done on my 06 with 16K miles on it. Cost me $280. All valves were in spec .0012 - .0025 #7 exhaust being the .0025. 2006 Z has 16k miles on it now and he said that he'd like to come back at 30k and check just the one bank again. Like a friend said, at the rate I'm going I'll see him again in about 8 more years.

Last edited by z76232; 07-11-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Another advantage of addressing the heads over a warranty is it gives you the freedom to do mods. These cars are boring stock IMO. Atleast do a intake/headers/tune and get a solid 40-50rwhp and work on suspension/brakes/etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Guide Issue Concern - 2007

Old 07-11-2014, 04:11 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

You buy Z06 and read this forum = Get heads done.

You buy Z06 and don't read this forum = Just drive it and enjoy.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LFZ
You buy Z06 and read this forum = Get heads done.

You buy Z06 and don't read this forum = Just drive it and enjoy.
Yep, sold my stock motor to a guy who doesn't read the forum and dropped a valve. I'm glad there is a market for stock ls7 short blocks so I could upgrade to an LSX setup. Another guy at a car show dropped one and wasn't on here, and was searching for a motor since he was out of warranty. Reading the forum causes the issue for sure.

It isn't just replace heads for the fun of it, get them checked and if they are worn excessively then fix them. Just like you don't replace brake pads every 10k miles but if they are worn and about to be backing plate on rotor it would make sense to replace them.

Last edited by Unreal; 07-11-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:31 PM
crazed_z06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2008 has 62k miles and runs fine.

EDIT: For now..

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve Guide Issue Concern - 2007