Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 05:57 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Default LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Official spintron testing donation thread for additional spintron testing done by Katech.

Rules:
Minimum $50 or greater donation to paypal address below
Donations are for spintron testing of combination #1 only at this time
Donations for more tests will be attempted once test #1 goal is reached
Goal to reach for test #1 is $900
Please designate who you are on Corvette forum when sending donation or designate "anonymous"
Testing results will be released only for those who donate

Combo #1 ($900) Reached!!
85g Ferrea SS hollow exhaust valves
torquer cam
PSI 1511 beehive springs/titanium retainers
Stock rockers

Combo #2
85g Ferrea SS hollow exhaust valves,
Stock cam,
Stock beehive springs/stock retainers,
Stock rockers

Combo #3
Stock exhaust valve,
Stock cam,
Stock springs,
HS roller tip rocker (provided by Michael_D)

Combo #4:
Stock rockers,
85g Hollow Ferrea exhaust valves,
Endurance cam (provided by Vert_C6),
PSI 1511 beehive springs/titanium retainers

Forum members who have contributed:
forg0tmypen- $50
Jasonoff- $100
VertC6- $50
Mark2009- $50
Beast5spdGTA- $100
Vray- $75, $125
MTPZ06- $50
Silvrhand- $100
Undy- $50
Michael_D- $200
LIT- $100
Wjnjr- $50
Pickleseimer- $50
Sled Driver- $50
Somgman3- $50
Bad_AX- $200
383- $50
Vette@71- $50
Coach62- $50
American Heritage- $100
7007vette- $50
RossN- $50
Nator02- $50
Wulverine- $100
Double06- $50
Daveng- $50
erick_e- $50
Mrkris- $75
Cerberus- $50

Total raised so far: $2,275!

Address to send parts for testing:
24324 Sorrentino Court
Clinton Twp., MI 48035

Official email address to send money to Paypal for dontations is:

spintrontestdonations@gmail.com

I have personally tested and sent the first donation of $50 from my personal account to this one. Please be careful typing in the email into paypal, and please, in the note section designate WHO YOU ARE ON CORVETTE FORUM. For example, see this screen shot of my donation:

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 10-22-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:46 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Who else would like to see the following tested on the spintron at Katech?:

torquer cam
beehive springs/titanium retainers?

Would think that would be a stable setup to appease those who dont like the stock exh valves and also those who are looking for a little extra piece of mind without sacrificing valve train stability at higher RPMs.
Given the thrashing by a select few CF members, I seriously doubt Katech will ever publicly publish results of their internal testing.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:19 AM
richie427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Who else would like to see the following tested on the spintron at Katech?:

torquer cam
beehive springs/titanium retainers?

Would think that would be a stable setup to appease those who dont like the stock exh valves and also those who are looking for a little extra piece of mind without sacrificing valve train stability at higher RPMs.
That all depends on/ how many track runs/ 1/8.1/4 your dump an run/rpm hell i ant TECH, S4IT I cant even type, all i might, think i may no now allways changes, the game was built by gm 4 u 2 take it that much past the Z06 a workin man /gal can pay out .Like they say the ocean is sometimes blue, how much testthing are u willing 2 spend
Old 07-06-2014, 06:27 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vray
Given the thrashing by a select few CF members, I seriously doubt Katech will ever publicly publish results of their internal testing.
Fortunately Katech did publish results of the spintron tests. Follow the link in this post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1586941710-post50.html
I remember the thrashing very well, it was truly embarrassing.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I would still like to see the fix using all OEM parts as designed. More than anything that is what I would have liked to hear from GM. Even If it took buying a new set of heads from GM, but as we know that's not an option because they are not proven yet as being "fixed" on the latest models. Only time will tell. I have been considering Katech because it appears that they are one to use the OEM parts. I am just trying to bide time to see how any of those jobs they have done work out, especially for the ones being driven hard.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
I would still like to see the fix using all OEM parts as designed. More than anything that is what I would have liked to hear from GM. Even If it took buying a new set of heads from GM, but as we know that's not an option because they are not proven yet as being "fixed" on the latest models. Only time will tell. I have been considering Katech because it appears that they are one to use the OEM parts. I am just trying to bide time to see how any of those jobs they have done work out, especially for the ones being driven hard.
This combo is as close to OEM as you can get weight wise with a SS valve. There isn't going to be a revision to the OEM setup ever again since the motor is close to being out of production when Camero Z28 halts production. There's a lot of parts out there that aren't OEM and can't be OEM if you're running a cam like the torquer. Good luck with OEM springs and a cam. This is a combo really meant for those with a cam. If you want to see the Ferrea hollow valves run with stock cam and springs then that is a option.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Sled Driver
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vray

the last thread turned into such a sh*tshow i would be shocked if they ever publish results again

too many armchair mechanics and conspiracy theorists and big egos here at CF to allow for real, deep technical discussion
Old 07-06-2014, 11:52 AM
fendersceptre
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richie427
That all depends on/ how many track runs/ 1/8.1/4 your dump an run/rpm hell i ant TECH, S4IT I cant even type, all i might, think i may no now allways changes, the game was built by gm 4 u 2 take it that much past the Z06 a workin man /gal can pay out .Like they say the ocean is sometimes blue, how much testthing are u willing 2 spend
What??
Old 07-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald
Fortunately Katech did publish results of the spintron tests. Follow the link in this post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1586941710-post50.html
I remember the thrashing very well, it was truly embarrassing.
Similar member who trashed and ridiculed John G's thread on his extensive analysis and testing in determining geometry played a significant role in guide wear. As a result, John essentially quit posting although he has helped some members who have asked him for assistance..
Old 07-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Takes a lot of work and money to set up a LS7 test mule for the spin rig. From a business perspective, there needs to be payback for the testing costs. The payback would need to be in the form of testing something that the business either sells, or to validated a service they provide. Katech is a business, not a charitable organization.

Another option, is to just pay them to test whatever you want. This would probably be the best option, as you could specify exactly what you want tested; but it would not be cheap. One could potentially set up a "project fund", that interested persons could buy into. The interested persons could specify the combination of parts they want to test, and pay their portion of the testing fees, plus supply test components.

I like the second option. If there were others interested in doing something like that, I could take the idea to Katech, to see what it would take to set it up. I would suspect the buy in would be about $500 per person, and there would most likely need to be a minimum of $5000 for Katech to even consider doing something like this.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:12 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I think if forg0tmypen was willing to foot the bill and publish the report, anything is possible.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:08 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by glenB
I think if forg0tmypen was willing to foot the bill and publish the report, anything is possible.
Really wish I could. :/
Old 07-06-2014, 06:12 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I'll donate $40
Old 07-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Takes a lot of work and money to set up a LS7 test mule for the spin rig. From a business perspective, there needs to be payback for the testing costs. The payback would need to be in the form of testing something that the business either sells, or to validated a service they provide. Katech is a business, not a charitable organization.

Another option, is to just pay them to test whatever you want. This would probably be the best option, as you could specify exactly what you want tested; but it would not be cheap. One could potentially set up a "project fund", that interested persons could buy into. The interested persons could specify the combination of parts they want to test, and pay their portion of the testing fees, plus supply test components.

I like the second option. If there were others interested in doing something like that, I could take the idea to Katech, to see what it would take to set it up. I would suspect the buy in would be about $500 per person, and there would most likely need to be a minimum of $5000 for Katech to even consider doing something like this.
Spintron is $100/hr. One simple test will be way less than $5000.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 07-07-2014, 09:14 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
Similar member who trashed and ridiculed John G's thread on his extensive analysis and testing in determining geometry played a significant role in guide wear. As a result, John essentially quit posting although he has helped some members who have asked him for assistance..
Yes such a shame on both occasions.

I spoke to John G at some length a couple times, the guy knows what he's talking about and has an amazing amount of experience specifically measuring LS7 heads. Fortunately I have still been able to tap into that knowledge.

Unfortunately for the forum they have lost John's knowledge, experience and contributions, but just think, the forum has an extensive counting of SS valves to compensate

Cheers, Paul.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 AM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,136 Likes on 593 Posts

I don't understand why anyone wants to go to the expense of spin testing the dry, hollow stem, exhaust.

The stocker weighs in the mid 70-gram area. An 85-g valve is going to need more spring pressure or a change in the cam profile to control–maybe not much of a change–but the difference could be enough to push valve motion to the limits of stability at the engine's rev limit.

Another issue I question about hollow-stem valves with no sodium in them. Whether the valve stem is metal, hollow-with-no-sodium or hollow-with-sodium filling, the stem is still the heat path from the valve head to the guide, to the head and then to the coolant.

With an "unfilled" or "dry" hollow stem valve, you replace metal with air which is a very poor conductor of heat compared to metal, so without sodium in the hollow stem, what are you doing to prevent the valve head from overheating?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason

If you interested Jason I am sure people would be willing to donate to see some others tests get done.

Since the members would be footing the bill I would also hope the thread would be kept as clean as possible by the mods.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Ya, I was figuring about that much (hourly rate for the spin rig). Does that include the set up costs for the LS7 test engine? Maybe you could line out the total costs?

I suspect that there will be numerous combinations of testing that members would want to see. IE: rockers, different valves, with different springs, with different cam shafts. I'm guessing about three days worth of testing different combinations. Maybe more.

I was serious. If there are enough members curious enough to pony up some money to have their stuff tested, I'll coordinate it.

And no, $40 isn't even close to be enough. For that contribution, you MIGHT get to see the data.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:57 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Jason how much would it be for the setup in the first post to be tested?
Old 07-08-2014, 06:56 PM
jwebsta32
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread