Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Ahh nuts. Who modifies heads for these things then?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:30 PM
davenp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 383
WCCH certainly does it and any machine shot could help you with the set up.

The Jesel shaft set up is a real iterative process wherein the pedestal mounts are milled down <.500" and checked for rocker/valve tip interface then iteratively milled until the set up has proper geometry.

For this reason, each set up would be custom based on overall lift, rocker and pushrod.

Does Jesel offer a performance advantage over stock with stock parts and stock RPM ranges? Excellent question. Would you see these in service more frequently if they did?

Oh... in case anyone has thought to do this, keep in mind that the bolt engagement length is cited to be .750. This could mean drilling through the top of the port to achieve full fastener depth. This is easy to assemble around, but, be aware that grinding the shaft bolts down to flush with the cylinder port top is another charge.

Last edited by davenp; 08-25-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Bit of phone tag today. Try again tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by davenp
WCCH certainly does it and any machine shot could help you with the set up.

The Jesel shaft set up is a real iterative process wherein the pedestal mounts are milled down <.500" and checked for rocker/valve tip interface then iteratively milled until the set up has proper geometry.

For this reason, each set up would be custom based on overall lift, rocker and pushrod.

Does Jesel offer a performance advantage over stock with stock parts and stock RPM ranges? Excellent question. Would you see these in service more frequently if they did?

Oh... in case anyone has thought to do this, keep in mind that the bolt engagement length is cited to be .750. This could mean drilling through the top of the port to achieve full fastener depth. This is easy to assemble around, but, be aware that grinding the shaft bolts down to flush with the cylinder port top is another charge.
So what you're saying is, its an easy bolt on mod, totally worth it for street/track cars at near stock power levels and affordable to top it off? Count me in!
I wonder what the benefits would be for something like this in a 7500rpm LS7, if any at all.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by 383
We do!!!

American Heritage Performance
http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

We have reworked LS7 heads for lots of Corvette Forum members. All happy customers.
Our number one selling package is our package 4 reworked LS7 heads (Ferrea F2042P exhaust valves, treated stock ti intake valves, our hardened PM guides, Performance Valve job). All for just $1,228 (plus shipping).
We have core sets of LS7 heads available and ready to ship (in case you don't want any down time).
We stand behind our work 100% and pride ourselves on exceptional customer service. Oh and if you a DIY guy we even offer support (you can call us day or night with re-assembly questions).
PM, Email or give us a call 310-326-2399
Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 383
So what you're saying is, its an easy bolt on mod, totally worth it for street/track cars at near stock power levels and affordable to top it off? Count me in!
I wonder what the benefits would be for something like this in a 7500rpm LS7, if any at all.
Shaft mount rockers are the way to go (Crower, T&D machining, Jessel). Make sure the shop doing the machining knows what they are doing. If they have not done it before, walk away.
We have extensive experience machining LS7 heads for shaft mount rockers. PM us for cost.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 PM
davenp
Advanced

Originally Posted by 383
To answer your question, the valve train is stable (per Katech's first test) to that RPM with PSI springs, Ti retainer and stock valves.

This test has been done already and has been linked in this thread.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:22 PM
davenp
Advanced

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Shaft mount rockers are the way to go (Crower, T&D machining, Jessel). Make sure the shop doing the machining knows what they are doing. If they have not done it before, walk away.
We have extensive experience machining LS7 heads for shaft mount rockers. PM us for cost.
They are 'the way to go' for what?

What would you recommend based on what he was suggesting (stock everything except the rockers)? What benefit would the shaft mount rockers provide over the stock rockers?

Thanks for the responses!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

I was under the impression 383 had some aftermarket mods (I did not read thoroughly just glanced quickly).
Adjustability and improved geometry does come to mind as some advantages of RR's. Stock rockers are great for stock applications (and even fine for mod'd applications for those individuals who select that path). For those that want/need adjustability then they will need to go with an aftermarket roller rocker such as T&D, Crower or Jesel.

Last edited by American Heritage; 08-26-2014 at 12:44 AM. Reason: wording
Old 08-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by American Heritage
I was under the impression 383 had some aftermarket mods (I did not read thoroughly just glanced quickly).
Adjustability and improved geometry does come to mind as some advantages of RR's. Stock rockers are great for stock applications (and even fine for mod'd applications for those individuals who select that path). For those that want/need adjustability then they will need to go with an aftermarket roller rocker such as T&D, Crower or Jesel.
I don't even own an LS7 yet....yet.
I don't plan on leaving it stock though, I was just saying for the tests being done in this thread it wouldn't be worth it. It probably wouldn't be worth it for most Z06 owners but I plan on modding AND using the car for track and auto-x. If there is a benefit to shaft mount I would like to know at what point should I consider them?
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the LS7's rpm limited by its rod to stroke ratio? If so then the only plus to shaft mount would be for longevity through better geometry, not for an increase in rpm. The heads would last forever but with extreme use other things would wear out first like cylinder bores, rings, bearings...witch would negate the heads being so stout. Correct?
Am I right in my thought here or am I missing something?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:59 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Ok. Some updates, I have sent Jason a $1,000 deposit to start with. I have also sent him a list of the tests to be performed to his email. He has instructed me to have anyone who has parts they need to send him to perform some of the tests, to go ahead and send them in to this address:

24324 Sorrentino Court
Clinton Twp., MI 48035
Att: Jason Harding

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 08-27-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:08 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Ok Ferrea valve is on the way courtesy of Ferrea!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Jasonoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Old 08-28-2014, 10:39 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, do you want me to send a couple Harlin Sharp bolt-on full roller rockers? To use these you will need a 7.500" push rod (assuming a stock lifter) which I also have and could send.

I am in Canada and it is a PITA dealing with the border so I really don't want to bother sending any of this stuff unless you are actually going to do a test that involves using it.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
So, do you want me to send a couple Harlin Sharp bolt-on full roller rockers? To use these you will need a 7.500" push rod (assuming a stock lifter) which I also have and could send.

I am in Canada and it is a PITA dealing with the border so I really don't want to bother sending any of this stuff unless you are actually going to do a test that involves using it.

Cheers, Paul.
Yes please do. Jason only needs one cylinders worth of parts. I'll alert him via email of the pushrod length for this test.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:32 PM
yrkZ06
Instructor

Yes please do. Jason only needs one cylinders worth of parts. I'll alert him via email of the pushrod length for this test.
In for some results
Old 09-03-2014, 10:35 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My contribution, was just sent out today...by some time next week Jason will have a pair of HS bolt-on full roller rockers that have an over-the-tip weight of about 20 grams (nearly double that of the stock rocker).

I spoke with him first and he indicated that I didn't need to send shorter PRs too since they would want to set their own lifter preload for the test and had lots of different length PRs with which to do so.

Cheers, Paul.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:33 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
My contribution, was just sent out today...by some time next week Jason will have a pair of HS bolt-on full roller rockers that have an over-the-tip weight of about 20 grams (nearly double that of the stock rocker).

I spoke with him first and he indicated that I didn't need to send shorter PRs too since they would want to set their own lifter preload for the test and had lots of different length PRs with which to do so.

Cheers, Paul.

Thank you.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Jasonoff
Instructor

Should be ready to go soon I'm guessing.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Drifting

What are the specs on the "endurance cam"?

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread