Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 PM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D

And no, $40 isn't even close to be enough. For that contribution, you MIGHT get to see the data.
Are you saying that if a bunch of people put money together to get the test done, you wouldn't share it with the community? You would only allow paying members to see it?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That wouldn't be particularly out of line considering how true the old adage "no good deed goes unpunished" rings true around here.

But ultimately it would be the decision of the owners of the data how they wanted to disseminate it.... in open forum in a free-for-all slug fest or privately to those who are truly interested. This is all academic, of course, since it is unlikely that everyone who contributed would be able to agree on a test format -- human nature, everyone who ponied up would want their particular idea/concept tested and the cost would run up thru the roof in purchasing components as well as equipment time... for example, Ferrea valve with stock spring, aftermarket beehive spring, aftermarket dual spring -- that's three tests. Throw a YT rocker on there (you'd have to buy the whole set to get two) -- that's three more tests, for six total now. But since you have the YT rockers you'd want to try them on the stock valve with the stock spring -- another test, for seven altogether. Might not work too well with the stock spring, so try it with the other two popular springs -- now up to 9 tests. And then I presume you'd have to pay an engineer to collate and format all the data after all the spinning is done, probably another several hours of work.

Thorough research ain't cheap . . . probably why most shops don't do it and instead rely on guesstimates.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Jason,

If you setup a crowd funding event for more spintron testing that the results would be published to your website I would gladly fund a $100 for one hour of testing if that is the going rate.

- John
Old 07-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by vray
Given the thrashing by a select few CF members, I seriously doubt Katech will ever publicly publish results of their internal testing.
Originally Posted by Z06Ronald
Fortunately Katech did publish results of the spintron tests. Follow the link in this post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1586941710-post50.html
I remember the thrashing very well, it was truly embarrassing.
Originally Posted by Sled Driver

the last thread turned into such a sh*tshow i would be shocked if they ever publish results again

too many armchair mechanics and conspiracy theorists and big egos here at CF to allow for real, deep technical discussion
Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
Similar member who trashed and ridiculed John G's thread on his extensive analysis and testing in determining geometry played a significant role in guide wear. As a result, John essentially quit posting although he has helped some members who have asked him for assistance..
Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Yes such a shame on both occasions.

I spoke to John G at some length a couple times, the guy knows what he's talking about and has an amazing amount of experience specifically measuring LS7 heads. Fortunately I have still been able to tap into that knowledge.

Unfortunately for the forum they have lost John's knowledge, experience and contributions, but just think, the forum has an extensive counting of SS valves to compensate

Cheers, Paul.
I was just as disgusted by all the crap that happened as you guys were and there are a lot of others who felt the same way but didn't let it be known. I've had a number of folks tell me that they hardly come to the C6 Z06 forum anymore because of the idiocy. Shameful. I wonder how bold some of these antagonists would be if they were standing face to face in a room with those who they attack, instead of sitting behind a keyboard.

Jason, rest assured that the vast majority of the forum respects you and your shop a ton. But I'll bet you already knew that.

I'd pass the same sentiments on to John but I don't think he's around here at all these days.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:05 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by fendersceptre
What??

Old 07-09-2014, 05:20 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I was just as disgusted by all the crap that happened as you guys were and there are a lot of others who felt the same way but didn't let it be known. I've had a number of folks tell me that they hardly come to the C6 Z06 forum anymore because of the idiocy. Shameful. I wonder how bold some of these antagonists would be if they were standing face to face in a room with those who they attack, instead of sitting behind a keyboard.

Jason, rest assured that the vast majority of the forum respects you and your shop a ton. But I'll bet you already knew that.

I'd pass the same sentiments on to John but I don't think he's around here at all these days.
Hi Les - yes, I fully agree with you.
Despite the bashing that has occurred to Jason's original thread in the past, I still visit the C6 Z06 forum several times a day though, as I do with many of the other forums here. There are too many knowledgeable members and supporting vendors to let me bother by the ones who make a caricature of themselves and I highly appreciate the way that the good guys keep us informed.
Besides that, there are also other channels where we can obtain useful information from, such as the vendor's websites and the social media like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube. All major vendors - Callaway, Katech Performance, LG Motorsports, Livernois, LPE, MTI Racing, Pratt and Miller, just to name a few - have an account there.
I am also subscribed to Katech's and a couple of other vendor's newsletters.
And last but not least, I still love corvetteforum.com and the vast majority of its members!

Ronald
Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ctsv510
Are you saying that if a bunch of people put money together to get the test done, you wouldn't share it with the community? You would only allow paying members to see it?
Why no, I would not. You obviously do not remember, or know, how many times I've tried to share real life, hands on experience with engine design and building with this forum, to only have a few with agendas attack me to discredit what I wrote. Me, not what I wrote. I have gotten a few PM's from some of these jackasses, calling me all kinds of names. There is no f'ing way I will entertain doing that again on this forum with respect to valve train stability. And to expand on that, I know for certain (through personal conversations, like on the phone or in person), there are other experienced professionals who feel the same way and will not post anything on this site. Due to a small few, who constantly laugh at theory and physics, and attack the person who posts information that is in conflict with their agenda (whatever it may be, who knows), they will take no part in this forum. It's quite a joke. So no, I will not. If you want to see the data from any testing that I coordinate and fund, it will cost you a price of admission to show me you really are interested in learning something, and not just a keyboard pinhead looking to start a fight.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Normally I don't think hearing such anger is a good thing but in this thread it is music to my ears...it's time a couple jacka$$es heard more of this sort of thing and maybe the forum mods might also get a better idea of the damage they do. I must admit though, the silence from those couple is deafeningly pleasant

Cheers, Paul.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Why no, I would not. You obviously do not remember, or know, how many times I've tried to share real life, hands on experience with engine design and building with this forum, to only have a few with agendas attack me to discredit what I wrote. Me, not what I wrote. I have gotten a few PM's from some of these jackasses, calling me all kinds of names. There is no f'ing way I will entertain doing that again on this forum with respect to valve train stability. And to expand on that, I know for certain (through personal conversations, like on the phone or in person), there are other experienced professionals who feel the same way and will not post anything on this site. Due to a small few, who constantly laugh at theory and physics, and attack the person who posts information that is in conflict with their agenda (whatever it may be, who knows), they will take no part in this forum. It's quite a joke. So no, I will not. If you want to see the data from any testing that I coordinate and fund, it will cost you a price of admission to show me you really are interested in learning something, and not just a keyboard pinhead looking to start a fight.
These days I PM members more often than I post just to keep my head down on certain topics. It's a sad state of affairs where two or three people have essentially taken control of the CF Z06 forum. It's like having a neighbor with a vicious dog running loose and the cops won't do anything about it. Everyone stays indoors out of fear.

If something develops with Spintron testing, I'm in. My interest is the OPs proposed test, as well as the Crower roller rocker with bee hive springs.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
These days I PM members more often than I post just to keep my head down on certain topics. It's a sad state of affairs where two or three people have essentially taken control of the CF Z06 forum. It's like having a neighbor with a vicious dog running loose and the cops won't do anything about it. Everyone stays indoors out of fear.

If something develops with Spintron testing, I'm in. My interest is the OPs proposed test, as well as the Crower roller rocker with bee hive springs.

Best way I've found to deal with those guys is add them to my ignore list.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Completely agree. I would not be putting up money so someone could come in and attempt to bash the results and get the thread locked down.

Keep me updated if this is going to happen.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:18 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I will try calling Jason and get a estimate for a cost for the setup mentioned in the first post as well as inquire on details about additional tests when I have a moment to spare (life is quite busy for me lately with buying a house). I think one possible way we might be able to get free parts from manufacturers to have Jason test is to contact the suppliers directly and mention what the parts will be used for. Otherwise, to test a different rocker arm, you might be stuck ordering an entire set just to put on a spintron. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I will try calling Jason and get a estimate for a cost for the setup mentioned in the first post as well as inquire on details about additional tests when I have a moment to spare (life is quite busy for me lately with buying a house). I think one possible way we might be able to get free parts from manufacturers to have Jason test is to contact the suppliers directly and mention what the parts will be used for. Otherwise, to test a different rocker arm, you might be stuck ordering an entire set just to put on a spintron. I'll keep you guys posted.
Setup is just a couple hours, especially if the LS7 buck is already on the cell. $100/hr is the same for setup.

We only need one cylinder worth of parts.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Ok. So to test the hollow ferrea valve with the torquer can and psi beehives would be around $200 and parts? Guessing wed just need an exhaust valve to send you? Or would you need the cam/spring/retainer/stock rocker?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Ok. So to test the hollow ferrea valve with the torquer can and psi beehives would be around $200 and parts? Guessing wed just need an exhaust valve to send you? Or would you need the cam/spring/retainer/stock rocker?
If it's the Torquer cam we have it. We have PSI springs, retainers, stock lifters, stock rockers. I would just need valves or if you want to test other spring combos.

It's going to be more than a couple hours for setup, testing, and reporting.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Ok. Thanks Jason. If you could get an estimate for how much would need to be raised for the above, I'll see if I can crowd source some funding as I've read many many people are interested the hollow stem SS valve. Just need somewhat of a concrete figure. I'll look into getting you an exhaust valve as well.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Ok. Thanks Jason. If you could get an estimate for how much would need to be raised for the above, I'll see if I can crowd source some funding as I've read many many people are interested the hollow stem SS valve. Just need somewhat of a concrete figure. I'll look into getting you an exhaust valve as well.
This would be a good time for vendors to get involved and supply cams/springs and valves they have been recommending, selling and installing. To prove to the world that their combinations are stable to the peak rpms they claim they are. I have spoken to a couple and they have expressed interest.

The YT rockers would be a great test to see the effect of increasing MOI. The rail set up's would be a great test too, but would require a modified head. Another simple and easy test would be stiffer pushrods. One more would be a roller with a .750" wheel.

I bet the Cam motion guys would supply one of their sticks. Maybe Pat G and Geoff Skinner?

Lot's of possibilities.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 04:45 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Jason should have everything he needs expect for the Ferrea hollow stem valve. I will split the cost of the valve with you and send it to Jason if others want to chip in for the spintron fee.

I would really like to see the results of the Ferrea valve, PSI 1511, and Ti retainers with the torquer cam.

Thanks for all of you help Jason!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Sled Driver
Instructor

If it can get organized, I'm in.

The combo i would really care about is:
Ferrea F2042P
PSI 1511ML (I *think* this is enough spring)
Titanium retainers
K501
Old 07-09-2014, 05:14 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I am sure he can swap the cams out very quickly to test them both.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread