Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

It's there to see the effect the heavier rocker has on peak rpm from a known baseline.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 383
Id be curious about that as well but with the ferra valves.
Originally Posted by Michael_D
It's there to see the effect the heavier rocker has on peak rpm from a known baseline.
with Michael.

Last year the stock spring did a respectable job with the REV valve which was adding 24 grams of mass. Running the heavier rocker with a heavier valve is introducing two variables making it extremely difficult to analyze the results.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:27 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Ahh I gotcha. Good test then.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
with Michael.

Last year the stock spring did a respectable job with the REV valve which was adding 24 grams of mass. Running the heavier rocker with a heavier valve is introducing two variables making it extremely difficult to analyze the results.
good point.
My thinking was a slightly heavier rocker with a slightly heavier than stock valve might be better controlled than just a solid SS valve.
I'm especially interested in it because of the reduced side load on the stem.
For testing purposes I can see why adding fewer variables is better though.
Would it be safe to say you could just take the reduction in max RPM from the RR's on the stock setup and apply it to the aftermarket setup?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:45 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 383
good point.
My thinking was a slightly heavier rocker with a slightly heavier than stock valve might be better controlled than just a solid SS valve.
Would it be safe to say you could just take the reduction in max RPM from the RR's on the stock setup and apply it to the aftermarket setup?
Me as well. If that is a concern though just skip the bronze guides and go with PM. If I was going with bronze I would certainly consider roller rockers. This will be a good test on how the extra weight is handled though so I see what Michael is after.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383
good point. My thinking was a slightly heavier rocker with a slightly heavier than stock valve might be better controlled than just a solid SS valve.
Probably not. Rigidity aside, it all boils down to the total amount of weight (valve, spring, retainer, etc).

Originally Posted by 383
[...] Would it be safe to say you could just take the reduction in max RPM from the RR's on the stock setup and apply it to the aftermarket setup?
Not really. Actually the roller rocker will probably perform better with the aftermarket spring and valve, since the total weight of that spring/retainer/valve combo will be about the same as the stock components, and the spring will be stronger than stock. But we really should run the baseline test for those that want to stay all stock except for the rocker. Considering only a rocker swap is involved I'd vote for one more test with the roller tipped rocker, on the PSI spring and the Ferrea valve with one (either) of the aftermarket cams.

Mission creep
Old 07-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383
good point.
No, it's not quite that simple. It would however give you a good idea what to expect. Remember, we are looking for a reduction in peak rpm capabilities, which is not necessarily redline.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark2009

Mission creep
The longer Jason keeps from posting a quote the more we keep adding.....
Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Just waiting to hear back from Jason on a new quote for the 4 tests to be run.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

If I read his last post on the matter correctly he said $900 per test, period.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Estimate: 9 hours for setup, testing, and reporting for one configuration. Obviously adding additional configurations will add time, but a significant part is setup so it's incremental. Changes such as testing multiple install heights adds to test time.

Spintron rate is $100/hr.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

When y’all start thinking about tests and pricing, you kinda need to put your mechanic hat on. How would you provide a customer a quotation for work request of you? Jason has already stated the rate, which is $100 per hour. So now think about the time it would take you to mount the test engine to the machine, then the time it will take to configure the heads and/or valve train with the components you have been asked to test. Then there is the time it takes to set up the gadget that looks at the valve. Then there is the test itself, the time to review the data to make sure it recorded and saved it correctly. OK, test one complete. Now you have test two….. What needs to be changed, and the time required to make the change, set up machine, run the test, etc….

So when you are asking for tests, be logical about it. What makes most sense from a time efficiency perspective? Would you test combination 1, with valve A first, then move to combination 4, with valve B?? That would require the removal of the head to change the valve. Figure a good hour to do that swap. Or, instead of testing valve B next, would you test a different rocker arm, pushrod, or spring??? The rocker would be the quickest change, so that would be the most efficient next test. Then you would test a different spring. Then test a different rocker on spring number two. After these simple swaps are done, that do not require the removal of the head are complete, the next logical and most time efficient thing to change would be the camshaft. Run a few tests with camshaft number 2. After these are done, yank the head, change the valve and start over.

So really, what you want to do, is ask the machine operator, and his mechanical assistant (if the operator is not the mechanic), what he thinks would be the most logical order of tests would look like.

This is why I had originally suggested several days of test time. If the funding was available to pay for three or four days of testing, MANY combinations could be tested. This piece meal approach to testing is not efficient, or even logical. The smartest approach, is to get the machine and operator/mechanic reserved on their calendar (as I’m betting the machine keeps pretty busy), for several days, and run a battery of tests in the most logical and time efficient manner.

Three days of testing would be about $2400. That’s a lot of tests. We are more than half way there.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

When y’all start thinking about tests and pricing, you kinda need to put your mechanic hat on. How would you provide a customer a quotation for work request of you? Jason has already stated the rate, which is $100 per hour. So now think about the time it would take you to mount the test engine to the machine, then the time it will take to configure the heads and/or valve train with the components you have been asked to test. Then there is the time it takes to set up the gadget that looks at the valve. Then there is the test itself, the time to review the data to make sure it recorded and saved it correctly. OK, test one complete. Now you have test two….. What needs to be changed, and the time required to make the change, set up machine, run the test, etc….

So when you are asking for tests, be logical about it. What makes most sense from a time efficiency perspective? Would you test combination 1, with valve A first, then move to combination 4, with valve B?? That would require the removal of the head to change the valve. Figure a good hour to do that swap. Or, instead of testing valve B next, would you test a different rocker arm, pushrod, or spring??? The rocker would be the quickest change, so that would be the most efficient next test. Then you would test a different spring. Then test a different rocker on spring number two. After these simple swaps are done, that do not require the removal of the head are complete, the next logical and most time efficient thing to change would be the camshaft. Run a few tests with camshaft number 2. After these are done, yank the head, change the valve and start over.

So really, what you want to do, is ask the machine operator, and his mechanical assistant (if the operator is not the mechanic), what he thinks would be the most logical order of tests would look like.

This is why I had originally suggested several days of test time. If the funding was available to pay for three or four days of testing, MANY combinations could be tested. This piece meal approach to testing is not efficient, or even logical. The smartest approach, is to get the machine and operator/mechanic reserved on their calendar (as I’m betting the machine keeps pretty busy), for several days, and run a battery of tests in the most logical and time efficient manner.

Three days of testing would be about $2400. That’s a lot of tests. We are more than half way there.
Michael,

What needs to be considered is there are 11 variables (components) that members have expressed interest in and this presents too many possible combinations with the money we can reasonably expect to get via donations. We have interest in two valves, two springs, two rockers, two retainers, and three cams.

If the four proposed test in the OP will satisfy everyone, then the job of arranging the test for greatest efficiency will be the most economical approach. I think we should let Jason advise on the most efficient way to to conduct the 4 proposed test and then provide forg0tmypen a quote based on that. My own interest is Test Combination #1 as proposed by the OP, with a second combination of a roller rocker with stock valve, endurance cam, PSI springs, Ti retainers which is not one of the proposed test. If I go the direction of my second preference on an LS7 build, I would probably just pay Katech to test it on my own.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:48 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
Michael,

What needs to be considered is there are 11 variables (components) that members have expressed interest in and this presents too many possible combinations with the money we can reasonably expect to get via donations. We have interest in two valves, two springs, two rockers, two retainers, and three cams.

If the four proposed test in the OP will satisfy everyone, then the job of arranging the test for greatest efficiency will be the most economical approach. I think we should let Jason advise on the most efficient way to to conduct the 4 proposed test and then provide forg0tmypen a quote based on that. My own interest is Test Combination #1 as proposed by the OP, with a second combination of a roller rocker with stock valve, endurance cam, PSI springs, Ti retainers which is not one of the proposed test. If I go the direction of my second preference on an LS7 build, I would probably just pay Katech to test it on my own.
Jason came back with a "estimate" not a quote of $2,000 for the 4 tests in the OP. I will message him back and ask if we can arrange these tests in a more efficient manner as to reduce time and cost. Great idea Michael_D.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:20 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

That's great, when we get near our 2k goal I will contact kip to send the cam to Katech
Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Jason came back with a "estimate" not a quote of $2,000 for the 4 tests in the OP. I will message him back and ask if we can arrange these tests in a more efficient manner as to reduce time and cost. Great idea Michael_D.

Which is why I said $100 minimum. We would already be there. We need more donations or people need to buck up and kick in another $50.

Were close. $100 for this info is cheap. Lets do it people!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Jasonoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
Which is why I said $100 minimum. We would already be there. We need more donations or people need to buck up and kick in another $50.

Were close. $100 for this info is cheap. Lets do it people!
What's the sitrep on your donation? I don't see you on the list...

Sent another $50 forg0tmypen

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:01 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jasonoff

I got it thanks! I messaged Jason again. The $2k number is just an estimate it could be more it could be less. Were close. If we stall out then we can call on previous donors to put up more. There's hundreds of Z06 owners in this sub forum. I'm sure we haven't exhausted our resources.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Jasonoff

My donation is in the pot. Ask forgotmypen.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:47 AM
Jasonoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
My donation is in the pot. Ask forgotmypen.
Not sure what that means. Not sure I want to either...

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread