Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Who's running Shorai li-ion battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Who's running Shorai li-ion battery?

My 07 finally gave up the stock Delco battery. I have the Shorai coming sometime later today and have the foam case to keep it secured. Just wondering who else is running this battery and what your experience has been. I have run into several Harley owners that run one of the 12V Shorai batteries and they seem to have very positive comments.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Send a PM to Jason Harding from Katech. He had this battery in his - now sold - Z06.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Great battery. More CCA and higher reserve capacity than comparable size lead acid batteries. Very low price for a lithium-ion. 4.5lbs. How can you not like it.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 06-19-2014, 02:57 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been running my current Shorai for almost 2 years now with absolutely no problems. It is my second one. The first one did just fine until I inadvertently killed it. What happened was I didn't drive the car for 3 days (keeping it charged is critical, be sure to get the charger/tender). I was going to drive it to a tuner's house for some computer work. Instead, he called and said that he would rather work at my house instead. When he got here he turned on my electrical system (which includes the headlights) and worked on the program for about 40 minutes. That was long enough to lower the voltage to the point that when I tried to start the car, the amp draw killed the battery. If a LI battery gets too far discharged, they die. That is why the really expensive ones contain a low voltage protection circuit. My battery, without posts weighs 4lb 13oz. I used the bolt on posts from my previous battery and the weight came out at 4lb 15oz. I made my own foam block from a cushion foam from a fabric store and cut it with an electric knife (don't tell Linda). So far, it is working great. However, I do keep my stock AGM battery charged and ready to go just in case.
Gary

Last edited by 40YRW8; 06-26-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:37 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 40YRW8
I have been running my current Shorai for almost 2 years now with absolutely no problems. It is my second one. The first one did just fine until I inadvertently killed it. What happened is I didn't drive the car for 3 days (keeping it charged is critical, be sure to get the charger/tender). I was going to drive it to a tuner's house for some computer work. Instead, he called and said that he would rather work at my house instead. When he got here he turned on my electrical system (which includes the headlights) and worked on the program for about 40 minutes. That was long enough to lower the voltage to the point that when I tried to start the car, the amp draw killed the battery. If a LI battery gets to far discharged, they die. That is why the really expensive ones contain a low voltage protection circuit. My battery, without posts weighs 4lb 13oz. I used the bolt on posts from my previous battery and the weight came out at 4lb 15oz. I made my own foam block from a cushion foam from a fabric store and cut it with an electric knife (don't tell Linda). So far, it is working great. However, I do keep my stock AGM battery charged and ready to go just in case.
Gary
What battery did you have that had bolt on posts? I am going to have to locate some.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running Shorai batteries in my KTM race bikes for years, and I love them. Very light and reliable. It's great being able to park them all winter and not worry about battery tenders, etc. Never knew they made them to fit the Vette. Now I know what my next purchase will be.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Sled Driver
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been running my current Shorai for almost 2 years now with absolutely no problems. It is my second one. The first one did just fine until I inadvertently killed it. What happened is I didn't drive the car for 3 days (keeping it charged is critical, be sure to get the charger/tender). I was going to drive it to a tuner's house for some computer work. Instead, he called and said that he would rather work at my house instead. When he got here he turned on my electrical system (which includes the headlights) and worked on the program for about 40 minutes. That was long enough to lower the voltage to the point that when I tried to start the car, the amp draw killed the battery. If a LI battery gets to far discharged, they die. That is why the really expensive ones contain a low voltage protection circuit. My battery, without posts weighs 4lb 13oz. I used the bolt on posts from my previous battery and the weight came out at 4lb 15oz. I made my own foam block from a cushion foam from a fabric store and cut it with an electric knife (don't tell Linda). So far, it is working great. However, I do keep my stock AGM battery charged and ready to go just in case.
Gary
What about using a PriorityStart? I think they only weigh a pound or two.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:07 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I always keep an eye out on this website - its an electrical engineer who builds custom batteries - less than the Shorai

http://www.lithiummoto.com/battery-sizing.html
Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

My APP36L3-BS12 has been cranking my 2012 flawlessly since installing on 10-23-13. Sure a nice weight saving at about 5#.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:00 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ballistic Batteries work well too!

http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...s/16cellHD.php
Old 06-22-2014, 10:32 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the Shorai part number used in the z06?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:00 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
What is the Shorai part number used in the z06?
LFX36L3

The L3 just stands for left hand terminal arrangement, but it really doesn't matter in the Vette since it is so small and doesn't necessarily need to be forward/backward…….

Got my SAE terminal posts at the local batteries plus store. Need ones with the M2.5 thread.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

My Phantom APP36L3-BS12 is the same as the Shorai LFX36L3-BS12. My first cracked and I had to send it back to Shorai for replacement. Which ever one you can find the least expensive.

Be careful when tightening if you use the extended arms. The outer plastic is thin and cracks easily.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:56 PM
bktmbill
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

earth-x new on the market
Old 06-24-2014, 01:27 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Ive been running shorai's LFX36L3-BS12 and am extremely happy with it; 31 lbs of weight reduction for under 300 bucks is a great deal considering how people spend thousands on carbon parts like hoods that lose less weight...

just dont let it discharge all the way - unlike lead acid batteries that you can recharge and keep using, these are toast once they go too far

also get shorai's charger. I used the battery tender one in the past, but the shorai is a bit nicer in terms of functionality
absolutely do not use a traditional charger, as the desulfation mode will mess up these kinds of batteries

here's a thread I started on the topic a while back: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...f-the-car.html

Last edited by el es tu; 06-24-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:05 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
What battery did you have that had bolt on posts? I am going to have to locate some.
I got mine with my previous 11.5 Braille.
Gary
Old 06-26-2014, 05:26 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I got mine with my previous 11.5 Braille.
Gary
Thank you for the answer. I found that battery plus carries and M2.5 to SAE terminal kit and it was in stock locally. Picked it up for 12 bones.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's running Shorai li-ion battery?

Old 06-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Great thread on the Shorai & also good advice @ keeping my stock '12 battery on my B-T charger as a backup option.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:07 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just ordered mine and looking forward to the 27 lbs of savings up front! I actually ordered the charger that was recommended in your thread el es tu, any negative side effects with this charge other than the lack of features that the Shorai charger comes with.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:48 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by C6psi
Just ordered mine and looking forward to the 27 lbs of savings up front! I actually ordered the charger that was recommended in your thread el es tu, any negative side effects with this charge other than the lack of features that the Shorai charger comes with.
not really if just dealing with the shorai battery... I did try using the small battery tender to charge a dead lead battery, and it didnt do so well.

the major benefits of the shorai charger are that it can target individual cells for charging and it goes into storage mode once the battery is charged. I havent used it this summer, but made sure to plug it in every time I parked the car during the winter and never had issues starting my car in freezing (for VA) weather.

enjoy the weight savings!

Last edited by el es tu; 07-20-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Who's running Shorai li-ion battery?