Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Who's running Shorai li-ion battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:48 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by C6psi
Just ordered mine and looking forward to the 27 lbs of savings up front! I actually ordered the charger that was recommended in your thread el es tu, any negative side effects with this charge other than the lack of features that the Shorai charger comes with.

Charger is a MUST!! It keeps the battery in great shape and you cannot use a normal lead-acid charger on the LiIon. Keep mine on store mode most of the time, as it sits for extended periods.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:04 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great info guys! Mine will sit for extended periods also so I assumed the charger was a must. I will carry an extra battery to the track just in case it is needed. If you guys know just because you may have asked these questions already, what makes the charging for the Lithium Ion batteries differ from traditional Lead Acid batteries. Is it the amp load/time they can handle? If that were the case it seems the charging system on the car would not far well for these either?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:40 AM
brewersprts
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I run one in my Ducati. I love it. Weighs less than a pound, cranks that big twin over better than the big stock battery did, and doesn't run down nearly as fast (Ducati's drain batteries quick because of the imobilizer on them).

I also didn't know they made one big enough for a car, I will absolutely be getting one next time I need a battery
Old 07-25-2014, 06:42 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can some with a Shorai 36 battery send me a photo or post a photo I'm really thinking of getting 1,there really friendly people
Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default alternate to Shorai battery

there is a credible alternative to the more expensive Shorai and Braille batteries. Follow this link to an electrical engineer who will build you a custom lithium battery with charger and all the trimmings for whole lot less than 1500.00.

He makes great batteries, and even gives you an option to have clear case for eye candy.

http://www.lithiummoto.com/battery-sizing.html
Old 04-18-2015, 02:50 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My Shorai was only around $280, leave it off the charger all the time for extended time, and have never had an issue. Starts just as well as the original battery I swapped for. Been in the car I would say for 9 months. I still bring an extra to the track for back up just in case.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Who's running Shorai li-ion battery?