Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clunking in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clunking in the rear

Been driving the Z a lot and just been listening for unusual noises, and ive been hearing some clunking noises in the rear when I go over bumps, little potholes etc.
I looked under to make sure the pipes/ mufflers are not hitting the frame or anything else. From the looks of it, everything seems like it has clearance.

Any guesses on what it could be?
Old 06-01-2014, 11:25 AM
ian08
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine does it too seems like a comman problem with the c6s check ur axle nuts problem with them loosening and the swaybar end links seem to go bad
Old 06-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

it doesn't like its suspension stuff.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:34 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

I had a similar sound that turned out to be my exhaust from a hanger that came off. The previous owner had it installed incorrectly (corsa system) and one of the tubular hangers was pull8ng on a rubber hanger, which eventually came off. I could only hear it in the cab, so it was tough to diagnose until I had my wife in the car while I shook the exhaust.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:42 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Exhaust might be one the other might be the turnbuckles if you have an aftermarket sway bar or loose coilover mount if you have coilovers.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
I had a similar sound that turned out to be my exhaust from a hanger that came off. The previous owner had it installed incorrectly (corsa system) and one of the tubular hangers was pull8ng on a rubber hanger, which eventually came off. I could only hear it in the cab, so it was tough to diagnose until I had my wife in the car while I shook the exhaust.
Would it only happen when you're taking a turn and go over a bump? It seems like it's more noticeable at that time.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:23 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

I'm voting sway bar links.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Damn..Just got her back...and this happens... This sh** gets expensive... Lol

From the looks of it..pretty easy fix. I was just hoping it would be the mufflers..

Last edited by Rupert pupkin; 06-01-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

I havent determined what the issue is yet. Probably later on today or Wed, from all the reading ive been doing it seems like its going to be the sawy bar link, or the axle nut, maybe even both

Do you guys have part numbers I can reference to. I saw the end links at AutoZone for $15 each (special order), and a couple online. Moog brand seems like is what everyone uses. I cant seem to find out where I can get the axle nuts except partsgeek, even called my local Chevy dealer and the parts guy said the Z doesnt have it. *facepalm*
Old 06-04-2014, 03:35 AM
peterpiper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM# 20822934 "LINK. Stabilizer Shaft" base and Z06 models

I had similar sounds after about 10,000 miles on the Z06 (2007). The rear links were replaced under warranty.

You can test by driving on a straight, smooth road, and quickly jerking the steering wheel left and right. You should hear the sound when the load shifts.

You shouldn't need new axel nuts; they should be torqued to 120 ft-lbs. But if you do need them:

GM #10257766 "NUT. Rear Axle Shaft"

-pp
Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

endlinks are cheapest from parts taxi or gm parts house but most dealerships should keep them in stock... iirc theyre 25-30 bucks.

axle nuts can be found at autozone. Make sure to mark the nuts with a paint pen to indicate if any future movement occurs.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:53 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Hell yeah! Got the car on the lift and.....Nuts are tight... End links are in good shape, with no wiggle. Just needed to adjust my catback and mufflers. Was going to lower the car with stock bolts and my wife said. FK NO!!! WOMP WOMP...lol... 65$ back in my pocket since I'm returning the end links. More money to spend/burn on 93 octane!!
Old 07-23-2014, 02:25 PM
morris
Drifting

Muffler hangers may have broken allowing the exhaust to contact the frame or an exhaust pipe may touch the frame it may even happen only when hot.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:17 AM
morris
Drifting

I had this same thing happen to me scared the heck out of me too as I was on track the first time it occurred, it was the exhaust pipe. Try taking it too a shop that will do what you ask or put it on jack stands.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:23 AM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
Hell yeah! Got the car on the lift and.....Nuts are tight... End links are in good shape, with no wiggle. Just needed to adjust my catback and mufflers. Was going to lower the car with stock bolts and my wife said. FK NO!!! WOMP WOMP...lol... 65$ back in my pocket since I'm returning the end links. More money to spend/burn on 93 octane!!
Rupert I would bet it IS sway bar links. Just replaced mine even though they were firm and couldn't find anything obviously wrong with the originals. So I bought Moogs of ebay - they are truly heavy duty steel compared to the alloy originals.

Best money I ever spent as the car is now just as firm and dead quiet as brand new - amazing transformation.

I cut an old one apart and the steel ball is perfect but the alloy body is just marginally worn and that is obviously all that is needed for the clunking to result when the swaybar yanks on them. Couldn't recommend the change highly enough.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:06 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Kincedn9
well the local GM dealer reached out to GM about my car as they were scratching there heads and GM had them replace the fluid in the rear differential. gonna pick the car up today.. hope it does the trick.
I had a "clunking at low speeds" while backing and sometimes at low speeds going forward. I had my Diff. fluid changed and it never came back. I think there is a TSB on it

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To Clunking in the rear

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clunking in the rear