Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need help on my c6 z06(H/C)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Zeta6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on my c6 z06(H/C)

I just recently replaced the engine on my c6 z06 after dropping exhaust valve. I now want to do a heads a cam swap for more power. I wanted to do a cam only but i was told im better off changing the heads so i wont have the same problem. If you guys can give me some feedback on some options i can go with. My car is completely stock except for corsa axle back
Old 05-28-2014, 03:50 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

If you went with all factory parts, there is nothing in stone that shows that the new setup is any more immune to the valve issue. Putting a cam in only seems to exacerbate the issue with the valves due to the higher stress on the valve train. At a minimum, i'd suggest springs, guides and exhaust valves for a cam install... but only my $.02
Old 05-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Doing work yourself or shop?

WCCH, PRC, AI seem to be top choice for heads. Cam depends on what you want and can live with. I would call Carlos@Vette-air and have him give you a cam. He has cams from baby unicorn to demon hellbeast rapist cams.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Subscribed to see what you decide.

DH
Old 05-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
He has cams from baby unicorn to demon hellbeast rapist cams.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:47 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeta6
I just recently replaced the engine on my c6 z06 after dropping exhaust valve. I now want to do a heads a cam swap for more power. I wanted to do a cam only but i was told im better off changing the heads so i wont have the same problem. If you guys can give me some feedback on some options i can go with. My car is completely stock except for corsa axle back
Damn, so you dropped a stock valve too???

What happened and when? Street or track? Any pics?

WCCH, PRC, AI seem to be top choice for heads. Cam depends on what you want and can live with. I would call Carlos@Vette-air and have him give you a cam. He has cams from baby unicorn to demon hellbeast rapist cams.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT
If you went with all factory parts, there is nothing in stone that shows that the new setup is any more immune to the valve issue. Putting a cam in only seems to exacerbate the issue with the valves due to the higher stress on the valve train. At a minimum, i'd suggest springs, guides and exhaust valves for a cam install... but only my $.02
I'm glad I read this about head work not necessarily fixing the dropped valve problem. I was looking at doing a H/C set up to get to about 550 whp. I was looking at stock heads done WCCH Stage 2 at about 11.8 CR.

So would a Mast 285 LS7 head solve the dropped valve problem?
I just bought a bone-stock 2008 Z06 and it is a fun ride. My '08 C6 makes 825 whp thru a Power Glide (the one in my signature), but I haven't taken it out of the garage since I bought the Z06....it's too much fun rowing them gears.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet C6
I'm glad I read this about head work not necessarily fixing the dropped valve problem. I was looking at doing a H/C set up to get to about 550 whp. I was looking at stock heads done WCCH Stage 2 at about 11.8 CR.

So would a Mast 285 LS7 head solve the dropped valve problem?
I just bought a bone-stock 2008 Z06 and it is a fun ride. My '08 C6 makes 825 whp thru a Power Glide (the one in my signature), but I haven't taken it out of the garage since I bought the Z06....it's too much fun rowing them gears.
I don't think you interpreted his statement correctly.

The worst thing to do seems to be to put a large cam in otherwise stock heads.

Building the heads with SS ex valves, dual springs, and bronze guides is necessary to go along with a bigger cam according to many experts. I even did this for my stock cam based on the advise of experts that I trust.

DH
Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

Building the heads with SS ex valves, dual springs, and bronze guides is necessary to go along with a bigger cam according to many experts. I even did this for my stock cam based on the advise of experts that I trust.

DH
Ah, OK. I guess I'll keep WCCH on the table as a strong candidate for my H/C. Seems there are a lot of Z06s using WCCH Stage 2 heads.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:46 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet C6
Ah, OK. I guess I'll keep WCCH on the table as a strong candidate for my H/C. Seems there are a lot of Z06s using WCCH Stage 2 heads.
Yes based on all the members who used him before me I decided to check him out about 1.5 years ago. He is local to me. So I actually went down to his shop and did a pictorial review. You can find it in this section of the Forum by searching. I wound up doing his recommended treatment for the heads and have recently had him port them too. So now they are Stage2. Again if you search you will see lots of video I post giving the heads and motor a good work out. Talk to Richard, you won't be disappointed

DH
Old 05-28-2014, 08:33 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

I think me and Howie are the only ones maybe on this board that have actually driven our cars after heads and cam setups over 10k miles on mine so far. So I think its a must to upgrade to better valves and springs... I'm on stock OEM guides instead of bronze...
Old 05-29-2014, 12:28 AM
Zeta6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking the car to a local shop here in socal, i was actually trying to get all the parts i need for the h/c swap and taking them in just to get installed and tuned.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:41 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zeta6
I am taking the car to a local shop here in socal, i was actually trying to get all the parts i need for the h/c swap and taking them in just to get installed and tuned.
I hope your going to one of our Corvette Challenge sponsors.

And shoot me a PM when you want to come out and join us. Beginners are welcome

DH
Old 05-29-2014, 06:02 AM
Z06 Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

call Carlos he will hook you up with heads and a proven cam. Im installing a widow r cam and wcch from him.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:06 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

DH
Bronze guides, yes; but SS exhaust valves and dual springs are not necessary according to some other experts (i.e. Katech):
vetteweb.com | How to Maintain Valvetrain Stability - LS7 Exhaust Valves
Old 05-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

If Trickflow ever get's their shiit together, they have a new head coming out. Details are a bit obscure at this point. I love their proposed rocker mounting set up. I would never buy a cam without knowing the valve events. Stupid names mean nothing to me.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:23 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald

Bronze guides, yes; but SS exhaust valves and dual springs are not necessary according to some other experts (i.e. Katech):
vetteweb.com | How to Maintain Valvetrain Stability - LS7 Exhaust Valves
Maybe but there have been pictures that show inconsistency in the walls of the hollow stock titanium (sodium) filled valves. Ideally if there is little to no side loading you should be fine but the valves are just another POSSIBLE weak point that most choose to replace while they are in there. I went with mast heads, made great power and never worry when I beat on my car. Going the wcch route only saved me 300 bucks after buying my Mast heads and selling my stockers. No brained to me.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT
Maybe but there have been pictures that show inconsistency in the walls of the hollow stock titanium (sodium) filled valves. Ideally if there is little to no side loading you should be fine but the valves are just another POSSIBLE weak point that most choose to replace while they are in there. I went with mast heads, made great power and never worry when I beat on my car. Going the wcch route only saved me 300 bucks after buying my Mast heads and selling my stockers. No brained to me.
Have you read the whole article?

Get notified of new replies

To Need help on my c6 z06(H/C)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need help on my c6 z06(H/C)