Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dropped valve!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Panos
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dropped valve!!

Hello guys..I have a 2008 z06 and I live in Greece...few days ago my engine broke down..I went to my machanic and a valve had dropped!!what can I do?i need a sleeve and a piston with upgraded heads...I don't know a lot so I am looking for some help...Thanks guys..
Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with trying to get that rebuilt. Itll be expensive, but hopefully you wont need a new block. Didnt you have mods on your car?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Panos
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
Good luck with trying to get that rebuilt. Itll be expensive, but hopefully you wont need a new block. Didnt you have mods on your car?
I had an kn intake,fast 102,headers,exhaust,and a diablo sport tune...
Old 05-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Any track usage on the car or just street driven? Hopefully your shop can get everything resloved. Any thoughts on what heads yuoure going to put in? Cam?
Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Panos
Instructor

Any track usage on the car or just street driven? Hopefully your shop can get everything resloved. Any thoughts on what heads yuoure going to put in? Cam?
I need help...I don't know what to do...We don't have a corvette dealership...I have to buy everything from over there...no track using...only street driving...please help..
Old 05-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Panos
Instructor

And should I use stock pistons?and what heads should I put on?where can I find stock sleevs?
Old 05-19-2014, 12:54 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Stock pistons are just fine, I would contact an engine builder here in the states to see if they can help. LME (Late model engines) could help you find a sleeve to ship it to you but you need to find a shop there that knows what they are doing to install the sleeve. I know LME does ship complete engines overseas.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:02 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Panos
Hello guys..I have a 2008 z06 and I live in Greece...few days ago my engine broke down..I went to my machanic and a valve had dropped!!what can I do?i need a sleeve and a piston with upgraded heads...I don't know a lot so I am looking for some help...Thanks guys..
What is the extent of the damage?

Anyone trying to help will need to know that first.

All this talk about sleeves, it might be beyond that.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
What is the extent of the damage?

Anyone trying to help will need to know that first.

All this talk about sleeves, it might be beyond that.
First order of business is like what silver said....Asses the block. See if its even repairable. We can run through the list of parts, but if the block is Fd up, then youll have to start from the bottom up. Stock pistons are fine.

Can you post up pics?

Theres no performance shops that touches vettes out there?
Old 05-19-2014, 01:29 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Old 05-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Panos
Instructor

Originally Posted by rupert pupkin
first order of business is like what silver said....asses the block. See if its even repairable. We can run through the list of parts, but if the block is fd up, then youll have to start from the bottom up. Stock pistons are fine.

Can you post up pics?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3648
Size:  79.0 KB
Old 05-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Panos
Instructor

First order of business is like what silver said....Asses the block. See if its even repairable. We can run through the list of parts, but if the block is Fd up, then youll have to start from the bottom up. Stock pistons are fine.

Can you post up pics?

bmp 1.91 MB 800 800
Old 05-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Panos
Instructor

Originally Posted by rupert pupkin
first order of business is like what silver said....asses the block. See if its even repairable. We can run through the list of parts, but if the block is fd up, then youll have to start from the bottom up. Stock pistons are fine.

Can you post up pics?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4227
Size:  67.3 KB
Old 05-19-2014, 03:02 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I've gone through the same thing (a few times now unfortunately) and here's an explanation of your options that I hope will help.

There are actually two cylinder liners that can be damaged in a situation like this - an inner one which is replaceable (also commonly referred to as a sleeve) and an outer one which is part of the block itself.

In the case where the inner sleeve sustains a fairly minor crack from detonation (which is common in the #7 cylinder with the LS7) you're generally in a good position to have the cracked sleeve replaced. In the case of a more catastrophic failure like the one you experienced, it could go either way with respect to whether the block can be repaired because the outer sleeve may be damaged too.

The challenge here is that it's impossible to accurately determine if the outer sleeve got damaged until the inner sleeve is removed. I've rebuilt four different engines where I started off with a moderately damaged inner sleeve and with two of them the outer sleeve was fine and the other two had cracks in them. The shop attempted to weld them but they cracked again in other places when they tried to install the new sleeve. It if wasn't for the fact that it's an engine used specifically for racing they said I might have gotten away with using sealer but I decided not to take that chance and order a brand new block.

The moderately good news is that regardless of whether the block can be replaced or you end up having to buy a brand new one, you should be able to use the internal parts that didn't get damaged along with the one (hopefully) good head. You also won't need upgraded heads as the stock ones are perfectly fine since it's the valve guides and stock exhaust valves that usually end up causing dropped valves. If you switch over to stainless steel exhaust valves and bronze valve guides then you'll get piece of mind that something like this likely won't happen again.

What I would recommend doing at this point is finding a shop that has experience with resleeving an LS7 block and have them take a look to see if it can in fact be repaired. The worst case is that you end up paying for one way shipping and they end up junking the block if it can't, the best case is that you save yourself quite a bit of money compared to buying a brand new block which are around $2800.

If you can't find anybody closer to you, shoot me a PM and I can hook you up with the shop I use here locally in Sacramento, California. As you can probably see from my avatar picture I tend to drive my car pretty hard and they do extremely good work which is why I can recommend them.

Good luck either way,
Christopher
Old 05-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

That sucks. But most of us have blown holes through our blocks when a valve was dropped or broken. Was this a stock motor? Intake or exaust valve.

Best of luck getting it back up and running

DH
Old 05-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Panos
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
That sucks. But most of us have blown holes through our blocks when a valve was dropped or broken. Was this a stock motor? Intake or exaust valve.

Best of luck getting it back up and running

DH
yes stock motor...boltons only..exhaust valve..
Old 05-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

DejaVu ........................... that headless hollow exhaust valve stem staring out of the darkness !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 05-19-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dropped valve!!

Old 05-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Panos
Instructor

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I've gone through the same thing (a few times now unfortunately) and here's an explanation of your options that I hope will help.

There are actually two cylinder liners that can be damaged in a situation like this - an inner one which is replaceable (also commonly referred to as a sleeve) and an outer one which is part of the block itself.

In the case where the inner sleeve sustains a fairly minor crack from detonation (which is common in the #7 cylinder with the LS7) you're generally in a good position to have the cracked sleeve replaced. In the case of a more catastrophic failure like the one you experienced, it could go either way with respect to whether the block can be repaired because the outer sleeve may be damaged too.

The challenge here is that it's impossible to accurately determine if the outer sleeve got damaged until the inner sleeve is removed. I've rebuilt four different engines where I started off with a moderately damaged inner sleeve and with two of them the outer sleeve was fine and the other two had cracks in them. The shop attempted to weld them but they cracked again in other places when they tried to install the new sleeve. It if wasn't for the fact that it's an engine used specifically for racing they said I might have gotten away with using sealer but I decided not to take that chance and order a brand new block.

The moderately good news is that regardless of whether the block can be replaced or you end up having to buy a brand new one, you should be able to use the internal parts that didn't get damaged along with the one (hopefully) good head. You also won't need upgraded heads as the stock ones are perfectly fine since it's the valve guides and stock exhaust valves that usually end up causing dropped valves. If you switch over to stainless steel exhaust valves and bronze valve guides then you'll get piece of mind that something like this likely won't happen again.

What I would recommend doing at this point is finding a shop that has experience with resleeving an LS7 block and have them take a look to see if it can in fact be repaired. The worst case is that you end up paying for one way shipping and they end up junking the block if it can't, the best case is that you save yourself quite a bit of money compared to buying a brand new block which are around $2800.

If you can't find anybody closer to you, shoot me a PM and I can hook you up with the shop I use here locally in Sacramento, California. As you can probably see from my avatar picture I tend to drive my car pretty hard and they do extremely good work which is why I can recommend them.

Good luck either way,
Christopher
i will know tomorrow if it's only the sleeve...I hope it is...are the stock intake valves good?i am so disappointed with all this..I have 35000 miles and the motor broke??so except from the exhaust valves and the valve guides everything else is strong?will this be ok for a cam?thank you for your help man...!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

yes stock motor...boltons only..exhaust valve..
Well hopefully a new sleeve will do.

I can see the hollow stem of the snapped off exhaust valve in the one pic.

How many miles on it?
Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

That sucks man. Sorry to hear it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dropped valve!!