Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:13 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BFST
Not really. Just because that piece stays together doesn't mean the whole system will last. Simply moving the point of failure to the next weakest link doesn't solve the problem. I'd actually like to know not how many people have been fine after the fix but how many have lost a lifter, a cam lobe, etc after the fix.

This always brings me back to the very early LS1 days when guys in M6's were bending pushrods. So the vendors "fix" was to sell these guys hardened aftermarket pushrods. The vendors "fix" never broke again (the pushrod) but as you can imagine, lots of guys started to bend valves, break springs, etc. So then the "fix" became to fly cut the LS1 flat top pistons and vendors were able to do it in car. Another fix, another story. Someone will always have THE "fix."

There will always be guys that will want to have it done right an precise as a system. And there will always be guys that 80% is good enough for the time being. Those guys get all bent, rant and move on to something else when the next part breaks on them anyways.

At the end of the day, the only waste is the time everyone spends here bickering about it on the net instead of enjoying the Z!
I also spoke with Charlie at RPM recently about some heads that he did with bronze guides with solid stems and they had 22k miles on them with heavy track use and the guides were in perfect condition when he removed the heads.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 AM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
Weight is important. I'm glad people are realizing this and going with a lighter option.

You certainly made a better choice than to run the solid valves. Which springs did you choose to run?
My builder suggested the--

- Manley Nextek .700" Dual Spring Kit w/ Ti Retainers, Hardened Locators, Precision Locks

so that what we used.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:56 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by kenw
My builder suggested the--

- Manley Nextek .700" Dual Spring Kit w/ Ti Retainers, Hardened Locators, Precision Locks

so that what we used.

Hmmmm... those springs didn't test well with the SS valves. I wonder how they will do with the Ferra's. Thats a lot of spring for a light valve. What are the cam specs?

Last edited by propain; 04-29-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I wondered about that and at first we were going with SS valves but I wanted the Ferra's and guess I should have asked if the springs were ok.

I was getting ready to post my complete build and results and I am not good at understanding the cam specs but will give you some and maybe you can figure it out.

Lift at valves---.615 in.---.626 ex.
Rocker ratio---1.700 in.---1.700 ex.
Duration at .050 tappet lift---223 in.---235 ex.
Advertised duration---273 in.---285 ex.

All I can say is the car runs great and the 2 k to 5 k torque is insane. Just got the car back so still getting used to the power.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw
I wondered about that and at first we were going with SS valves but I wanted the Ferra's and guess I should have asked if the springs were ok.

I was getting ready to post my complete build and results and I am not good at understanding the cam specs but will give you some and maybe you can figure it out.

Lift at valves---.615 in.---.626 ex.
Rocker ratio---1.700 in.---1.700 ex.
Duration at .050 tappet lift---223 in.---235 ex.
Advertised duration---273 in.---285 ex.

All I can say is the car runs great and the 2 k to 5 k torque is insane. Just got the car back so still getting used to the power.

Thanks for the interest.

Congrats
Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by fendersceptre
Hey guys,
I have to ask again, please keep the conversation about the Hollow stem valves. The thread isn't even about the solid SS valves so let's not keep discussing them here. How about we argue the merits or cons of the hollow stem valves?

Thanks everyone,
Joshua
A hollow stemmed valve will not withstand the same degree of abuse that a solid stemmed valve will, such as PTVC. Hollow stemmed valves are generally gun drilled, so the wall thickness will vary to some degree. There may be some new processes other than gun drilling that I am not aware of. What they are, and if they are reliable is not something I know. A hollow stemmed valve will also tend to 'flex' if it is opened earlier with the presence of cylinder pressure, such as with a more aggressive (than OE) cam profile.

Those are the "cons" that come to mind.

The positives are weight reduction. The weight advantages are many, and have a progressive path from the seat to the crank gear. Too many to go into, and to discuss them is wasted effort and time on this forum. If you can not tell by some of the responses already, there is little desire to understand theory of operation on this forum by most.

As far as this particular hollow stemmed valve from Ferrea, I have no reason to believe it is not a very good option. Ferrea makes a great product. I've used their stuff in many engines over the years.

The single concern I would have, is the removal of sodium from the stem. Without knowing exactly why the head design engineers felt this particular seat/port needed more flux transfer to the guide, I would be a bit hesitant to remove that transfer path, unless I could enhance heat transfer to the seat. The only way to effectively do that, is to change seat material, or seat angle, or a combination of both. Changing angle will hinder flow, so I'd lean toward seat material. But, that also might cause issues with these heads, as the seats are siamesed, so cooling water does not remove heat uniformly around the seat circumference. This could result in warped seats. That in itself could be why the engineers selected the sodium stems.

The problem with modifying an engineered design, is not knowing what you don't know. Without a structured management of change process, you are shooting from the hip. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you get shot.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,092 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
A hollow stemmed valve will not withstand the same degree of abuse that a solid stemmed valve will, such as PTVC. Hollow stemmed valves are generally gun drilled, so the wall thickness will vary to some degree. There may be some new processes other than gun drilling that I am not aware of. What they are, and if they are reliable is not something I know. A hollow stemmed valve will also tend to 'flex' if it is opened earlier with the presence of cylinder pressure, such as with a more aggressive (than OE) cam profile.

The positives are weight reduction. The weight advantages are many, and have a progressive path from the seat to the crank gear. Too many to go into, and to discuss them is wasted effort and time on this forum. If you can not tell by some of the responses already, there is little desire to understand theory of operation on this forum by most.

As far as this particular hollow stemmed valve from Ferrea, I have no reason to believe it is not a very good option. Ferrea makes a great product. I've used their stuff in many engines over the years.

The single concern I would have, is the removal of sodium from the stem. Without knowing exactly why the head design engineers felt this particular seat/port needed more flux transfer to the guide, I would be a bit hesitant to remove that transfer path, unless I could enhance heat transfer to the seat. The only way to effectively do that, is to change seat material, or seat angle, or a combination of both. Changing angle will hinder flow, so I'd lean toward seat material. But, that also might cause issues with these heads, as the seats are siamesed, so cooling water does not remove heat uniformly around the seat circumference. This could result in warped seats. That in itself could be why the engineers selected the sodium stems.

The problem with modifying an engineered design, is not knowing what you don't know. Without a structured management of change process, you are shooting from the hip. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you get shot.
One thing you didn't factor in with these valves is the gun drilled portion of the stem never protrudes into the combustion chamber, even at full lift. This is unlike the OEM valves. That being said, it would negate the reduced strength concerns since the "weaker" portion of the valve would be contained within the guide at all times.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:28 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

According to Ferrea their valve thickness is 80 thousands which is twice as thick as stock!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Last edited by Undy; 04-29-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
One thing you didn't factor in with these valves is the gun drilled portion of the stem never protrudes into the combustion chamber, even at full lift. This is unlike the OEM valves.
I don't think this matters, it's secondary job is to conduct heat up the stem to the guide to the water jacket. As soon as the heat hits the hollow part of the stem, heat conduction will slow down. Sodium has 4-5x the thermal conductivity of (generic) SS. Once the heat gets up into the guide it should flow into the cooling system.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ
I don't think this matters, it's secondary job is to conduct heat up the stem to the guide to the water jacket. As soon as the heat hits the hollow part of the stem, heat conduction will slow down. Sodium has 4-5x the thermal conductivity of (generic) SS. Once the heat gets up into the guide it should flow into the cooling system.
My post was meant to convey nothing about thermal conductivity. That wasn't even mentioned. It was simply a reply to the statement about loss of strength due to it being hollow.

I agree with its reduction in heat transfer. The jury is still out as to its long term effects
Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

My post was meant to convey nothing about thermal conductivity. That wasn't even mentioned. It was simply a reply to the statement about loss of strength due to it being hollow.

I agree with its reduction in heat transfer. The jury is still out as to its long term effects

Do you believe the hollow portion of the valve protruding into the combustion chamber reduces its strength?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Informative post, thank-you...it's so nice to read something from someone who actually has some technical understanding.

My only quibble is that apparently you missed the memo about GM having lousy engineers, I mean aren't all those pictures of holed blocks floating around the forum not proof enough that a head rebuilder should be doing your engineering for you

Cheers, Paul.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Do you believe the hollow portion of the valve protruding into the combustion chamber reduces its strength?
I don't think it protrudes into the combustion chamber. I believe it's contained by the guide at all times, as I stated in my previous post.

If it does protrude, the 0.080" wall thickness should be more than adequate for its intended use. Ferrea states that it's the strongest hollow stem valve on the market today. I've no reason to doubt their claim.

When my PRC265s come off in the future for a bottom end build the heads will be R&R'd with a new set of these valves and a set of PSI springs.

The car has right at 100K on it now and doesn't use a drop of oil. I wiggle tested my PRCs @ 10K miles use and the valve guide wear was negligible. The car seldom sees north of 6K rpm anyway as it's 99.9% street only. No track and only once to the strip. That's why I'm really not too concerned about the heavy stainless valve issue. Not an ounce of bounce...
Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 PM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

12K Miles on Ferrea's SS hollow stem exhaust and titanium intake valves .

If they have not failed in my car , they wont fail in yours , haha
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

I don't think it protrudes into the combustion chamber. I believe it's contained by the guide at all times, as I stated in my previous post.

If it does protrude, the 0.080" wall thickness should be more than adequate for its intended use. Ferrea states that it's the strongest hollow stem valve on the market today. I've no reason to doubt their claim.

When my PRC265s come off in the future for a bottom end build the heads will be R&R'd with a new set of these valves and a set of PSI springs.

The car has right at 100K on it now and doesn't use a drop of oil. I wiggle tested my PRCs @ 10K miles use and the valve guide wear was negligible. The car seldom sees north of 6K rpm anyway as it's 99.9% street only. No track and only once to the strip. That's why I'm really not too concerned about the heavy stainless valve issue. Not an ounce of bounce...

One thing you didn't factor in with these valves is the gun drilled portion of the stem never protrudes into the combustion chamber, even at full lift. This is unlike the OEM valves.
Seems like your saying the hollow portion of the OEM valve protrudes into the combustion chamber in your previous post. Also seems like your saying that because the Ferrea valve doesn't its stronger.

I guess I read it wrong? How so?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:14 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by zoomz

Now that is a statement. Post up your vids in the video thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P

Old 04-29-2014, 04:35 PM
fendersceptre
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi zoomz
What springs and cam are you running?
Thanks!
Joshua
Originally Posted by zoomz

Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

One thing you didn't factor in with these valves is the gun drilled portion of the stem never protrudes into the combustion chamber, even at full lift. This is unlike the OEM valves. That being said, it would negate the reduced strength concerns since the "weaker" portion of the valve would be contained within the guide at all times.
I was being generic to hollow stemmed valves, not specific to the characteristics of this particular valve. I can see your point, thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by vertC6
According to Ferrea their valve thickness is 80 thousands which is twice as thick as stock!
And a solid stemmed valve is even thicker yet!!! So what's your point?? You seamed to forget the rational behind why the stem is hollow. There is a point when 'thicker' is not necessary, and simply increases weight.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:51 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Seems like your saying the hollow portion of the OEM valve protrudes into the combustion chamber in your previous post. Also seems like your saying that because the Ferrea valve doesn't its stronger.

I guess I read it wrong? How so?

I was responding to Michael's post saying that a hollow stem valve is inherently weaker. I was merely pointing out that the hollow portion of the Ferrea valve in all conditions would be supported against undue radial loading (sudden or constant) by the valve guide, therefore negating any structural weaknesses. Axial loading is not an issue. If you question my post then you question Michael's.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P