Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by CB1953
I have tried to read all of these valve-related threads to try to educate myself on the issue, and it seems that nothing is resolved except back and forth bickering. At times I have thought that Quick and Howie were the sane ones, Mark and Propain were just stirring the pot. Now, the more I read, I find myself thinking that Mark and Propain are the ones' making sense, and Quick and Howie are just causing trouble.

My point is, there are many new and some not-so-new members of the forum that have no clue what to think. It would be nice to just stay on topic without all of the other crap being thrown back and forth. Those long, quote-laden posts get old real quick when one is just trying to understand the valve problem. I think these four guys have a great amount of knowledge between all of them, and it would be great to see everyone get on the same page.

My .02

CB
I think there's a very strong majority of members that has reached the same conclusion you describe in your first paragraph. Regarding the part of your second paragraph that I put in bold, I'm confident that there would be a nearly unanimous agreement to that. That's why he's probably the most "Ignored" person in this section, if not the entire forum. Just imagine how nice it would be if discussions could take place that are clean of the agenda based crap and the high need for validation of personal decisions.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I think there's a very strong majority of members that has reached the same conclusion you describe in your first paragraph. Regarding the part of your second paragraph that I put in bold, I'm confident that there would be a nearly unanimous agreement to that. That's why he's probably the most "Ignored" person in this section, if not the entire forum. Just imagine how nice it would be if discussions could take place that are clean of the agenda based crap and the high need for validation of personal decisions.

Point made numerous times to no avail. Very telling about the individual, which speakes volumes.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:12 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Time for the mod's to close this thread. I will now be using the "Unsubscribe from this thread button" This thread was OK in the beginning but went down hill rapidly. I have a set of these valves and so far they seem fine. I guess the only answer here is wait and see. Time will tell.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by meanjoe
Time for the mod's to close this thread. I will now be using the "Unsubscribe from this thread button" This thread was OK in the beginning but went down hill rapidly. I have a set of these valves and so far they seem fine. I guess the only answer here is wait and see. Time will tell.
Another RIP thread!!
Old 07-12-2014, 04:15 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by meanjoe
Absolutely not. That would be exactly what some would like to happen. This thread is as useful if not more than the SS valve collection thread. It should stay open despite all this bickering.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:15 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Its not just the member that are tired of the back and forth bickering, its also the sponsors.
For you guys out there that are new to the LS7 world and stumble across these kinda of thread that you cant get answers out of, my recommendation would be to call, email or PM a trusted vendor/sponsor and get their take on the issue.
Here is our contact info: http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/Contact.html

Also just to reiterate the F2042P is a very good valve with great quality contorl. Ferrea has been making these hollow valves for years and years with great success both on the street and on the track.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I have tried to read all of these valve-related threads to try to educate myself on the issue, and it seems that nothing is resolved except back and forth bickering. At times I have thought that Quick and Howie were the sane ones, Mark and Propain were just stirring the pot. Now, the more I read, I find myself thinking that Mark and Propain are the ones' making sense, and Quick and Howie are just causing trouble.

My point is, there are many new and some not-so-new members of the forum that have no clue what to think. It would be nice to just stay on topic without all of the other crap being thrown back and forth. Those long, quote-laden posts get old real quick when one is just trying to understand the valve problem. I think these four guys have a great amount of knowledge between all of them, and it would be great to see everyone get on the same page.

My .02

CB
CB

I don't have a lot of expertise and never claim that I do. I do relate information from the proffessionals that I have relied on and know personally. I do contribute what I can about my personal experiences, mods, track video, etc. (you can search if interested) with 6 years of track time and 155K miles.

Since not all the experts agree then one must decide who to trust and what makes sense to them and allows them to drive their care with piece of mind. That is exactly what I have done. I am comfortable with my decision and the SS valves. If and when my professionals tell me there is something better than I will redo my heads again.

So you may find over time that your impression of which camp is more sane may change. I am hoping so

DH
Old 07-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
Absolutely not. That would be exactly what some would like to happen. This thread is as useful if not more than the SS valve collection thread. It should stay open despite all this bickering.
I agree

I don't like when someone decides that its time for all of us to quit discussions. When you are done then you are done. Untill there are two left wanting to continue the let it roll ..........

And you never know when someone will pop in with something interesting.

DH
Old 07-12-2014, 09:11 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You broke the code.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

My .02

CB
Put the two members you believe are "causing trouble" on your ignore list and you will remove precisely 25% of the posts in this thread.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:40 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

The thing is-----no one person has all the answers. Of course I believe GM does but that gets us no where. The "best" fix may not be known for some time while waiting on miles to accumulate, however there are several "fixes" that will work.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:35 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I'm not claiming "authority" here.

Nor am I holding myself out as any sort of "authority" here. Never have.

I am only a Corvette enthusiast and consumer like so many others in here, making my own observations and offering up my own opinions on those observations.

I'm just one of the common folk at the town meeting, which is this forum, asking questions and voicing concerns. Sometimes over some of the answers that I find peculiar.

I'm no "authority", and I claim no "authority". But I will offer my opinions on what some of the authorities say, and what I observe, just the same as other enthusiasts and consumers in here can and do.

Oh, and no disrespect taken.
You know just because YOU ask a question doesn't mean it NEEDS to be answered. Just because YOU can't understand something doesn't mean everyone else, or even anyone else, is having the same problem

You claim to be no authority or expert so it should be easy for you to understand why there is a possibility you might periodically ask questions which are irrelevant, dare I say stupid and thus not worth wasting time answering. There isn't necessarily some kind of conspiracy going on which it is your duty to uncover

Cheers, Paul.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
The thing is-----no one person has all the answers. Of course I believe GM does but that gets us no where. The "best" fix may not be known for some time while waiting on miles to accumulate, however there are several "fixes" that will work.
The answers are there. They just continue to get buried underneath personal agendas, BS and drama.

It's pretty simple really. Limanar F'ckd up the post cast machine work on some unknown percentage of castings. There are two things to look for, as you could have one or the other, or both. 1) seat to guide concentricity 2) rocker pedestal location and /or height

1) is easier to fix with some good machine work on the seats. 2) is more difficult and costly. Easier to check for errors though. All you need is a sharpie. 2) doesn't effect those who run a stock cam, or cam with similar lift nearly as much as those running high lift cams either.

The rhetoric over the sodium, or two piece valves is complete rubbish. Just a smoke screen to confuse those who don't have a basic concept of valve train theory.

The rhetoric over PM guides is also complete rubbish. Powder metal is vastly superior to bronze alloys. It's just harder to work with than bronze and some cylinder head repair shops don't like to screw with it. It's also not as widely available, in as many different configurations as the bronze pieces, so once again, a PITA for shops.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:51 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
The answers are there. They just continue to get buried underneath personal agendas, BS and drama.

It's pretty simple really. Limanar F'ckd up the post cast machine work on some unknown percentage of castings. There are two things to look for, as you could have one or the other, or both. 1) seat to guide concentricity 2) rocker pedestal location and /or height

1) is easier to fix with some good machine work on the seats. 2) is more difficult and costly. Easier to check for errors though. All you need is a sharpie. 2) doesn't effect those who run a stock cam, or cam with similar lift nearly as much as those running high lift cams either.

The rhetoric over the sodium, or two piece valves is complete rubbish. Just a smoke screen to confuse those who don't have a basic concept of valve train theory.

The rhetoric over PM guides is also complete rubbish. Powder metal is vastly superior to bronze alloys. It's just harder to work with than bronze and some cylinder head repair shops don't like to screw with it. It's also not as widely available, in as many different configurations as the bronze pieces, so once again, a PITA for shops.
Which is why I tend to stay out of most of those debates these days...I know what I know, and that's all that matters to me at this point.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:31 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THIS should be a sticky

IF there truly was a problem with the engineering of an in spec head and all its associated parts, you would never have guys like Jimman getting 188,000 miles without so much as ever pulling a valve cover.

IF a guy was truly concerned about the lack of heat conducting ability of air, that same guy would NEVER have strayed away from the OEM valve and become the main salesman for SS valves...well unless of course he was once again being intellectually dishonest.

You know I was thinking, that term "intellectually dishonesty" is very complimentary to a person, given that in the absence of it, all that remains is stupidity

Cheers, Paul.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
THIS should be a sticky

IF there truly was a problem with the engineering of an in spec head and all its associated parts, you would never have guys like Jimman getting 188,000 miles without so much as ever pulling a valve cover.

IF a guy was truly concerned about the lack of heat conducting ability of air, that same guy would NEVER have strayed away from the OEM valve and become the main salesman for SS valves...well unless of course he was once again being intellectually dishonest.

You know I was thinking, that term "intellectually dishonesty" is very complimentary to a person, given that in the absence of it, all that remains is stupidity

Cheers, Paul.
Ouch!!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:26 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

You know just because YOU ask a question doesn't mean it NEEDS to be answered. Just because YOU can't understand something doesn't mean everyone else, or even anyone else, is having the same problem
I never said it should, and I never said they were.

But I believe that since this is a learning environment where many of us have the goal to learn, that we should leave no forum member behind.

You claim to be no authority or expert so it should be easy for you to understand why there is a possibility you might periodically ask questions which are irrelevant, dare I say stupid and thus not worth wasting time answering.
In a forum setup where everyone is presumably here to learn, I don't believe that there are any "stupid questions".

There are however "stupid answers", and I believe yours to count among these..[/I][/COLOR]

There isn't necessarily some kind of conspiracy going on which it is your duty to uncover Cheers, Paul.
I don't think that I have heard anyone refer to any "conspiracies" here.

THIS should be a sticky

Cheers, Paul.

Do tell???? Well, land sakes.

Damn Paul, and I have been waiting for so long to give you a compliment. And you may have just given me a great idea.

I also know how you like keeping up with it, but the count is at 414 now.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...st-valves.html

Yes, it is. Honest.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:40 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

But the thing is; this is your belief. You may be correct or you may not. What about the problems occurring on heads after the inspections began. I think there have been some. No matter to me I'm certainly not here to argue with anyone. Like has already been said; the main thing is to get your heads checked.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Too much hostility and conflict in this thread.

Be nice or be gone.

Online Conflicts

For the most part, the CF community remains a friendly place where ideas, thoughts, and assistance can be found. Unfortunately, there are times when members forget that this is an Internet forum and issues between members can get out of hand. This includes members turning to the forum to air a personal offline/on-line problem which results in sides being drawn by participating members.

In these situations, it is the forum's role to expeditiously end any conflict for the good of the forum and its membership. The forum's goal is not only to remain family, work, and corporate server safe, it also will not serve as a battleground where offline/on-line personal matters and drama are permitted to be played out in front of other members.

Any thread(s) that contain open bickering, name calling, subtle derogatory messages, "digs," personal attacks, or anything negative in nature will be closed/edited or deleted, and any participating members who post in violation of this rule, will jeopardize their posting privileges.

If any member is being harassed on-line in a thread or privately via PM, they should avoid a confrontation with the offending member and immediately report the problem to a section Moderator via PM, or by clicking on the "report post," icon Click the image to open in full size. under their user name.

The Moderator will evaluate the issue and take appropriate action to rectify the situation.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...conflicts.html

Quick Reply: [Z06] Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P