Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 08 Z06 with engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:09 PM
Dave TerHaar
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Z06 with engine noise

So, exactly 30 days after my GM warranty runs out, my 08 Z with 50,000 miles developed a very noticeable engine noise from 1500-2200 RPM coming from the top passenger side. I took it down to the local dealer and they are telling me they think its a bad lifter and want to tear it down to be sure. I was reluctant to have them tear it down so I had them pull the oil filter to cut it open to check for metal and it was spotless. So I finally did what I should have done earlier, took it over to Jason at Katech for their stage 2 H/C package w/ the K501 cam! Now I'm just hoping to get by on the stock clutch until next this winter! Anyone else running this cam on the street?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,925 Likes on 5,331 Posts

I think I would have approached it a little differently. Since it was at the dealership and only a short time had transpired from the warranty's expiration date I would have asked the dealer to see if GM would help me by paying for the repair. They have long provided Goodwill warranty coverage in situations like yours and the worst thing that can happen is they say "NO".

However, you will be in good hands with Jason and it sort of sounds like you wanted an excuse to go that way anyways.

Bill
Old 04-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Dave TerHaar
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I think I would have approached it a little differently. Since it was at the dealership and only a short time had transpired from the warranty's expiration date I would have asked the dealer to see if GM would help me by paying for the repair. They have long provided Goodwill warranty coverage in situations like yours and the worst thing that can happen is they say "NO".

However, you will be in good hands with Jason and it sort of sounds like you wanted an excuse to go that way anyways.

Bill
I did actually talk to GM about it and they were willing to cover a percentage of the new cam replacement at the dealer, the problem is I planned on getting the heads done and upgrading the cam and all the dealer could do is replace the stock cam. After hearing that top end noise I couldn't get the heads done fast enough, paranoid, maybe..
Old 04-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
He tried that but was asked to pay up front for teardown and analysis and only after that would a goodwill determination be made. He already had plans to come to Katech so he just had them finish it up and brought it over.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 04-23-2014, 02:41 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave TerHaar
I did actually talk to GM about it and they were willing to cover a percentage of the new cam replacement at the dealer, the problem is I planned on getting the heads done and upgrading the cam and all the dealer could do is replace the stock cam. After hearing that top end noise I couldn't get the heads done fast enough, paranoid, maybe..
You will be happy with your Katech build!

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Z06 with engine noise

Quick Reply: [Z06] 08 Z06 with engine noise