Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Should I purchase GMPP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:43 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i believe it's 9 years.

My 2008 Z06 has GMPP until 2017, and when I called them to ask about it, they said that it could not be renewed beyond 2017.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:08 PM
acthegiant
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Yep

Under the assumption the GMPP can still be obtained, that would be my recommendation.

I have a 2006 z06 and since the 3 yr 6k mileage bumper to bumper has expired I have pretty much covered the 2k or so premium with covered repairs. Just a few items to mull upon:

HVAC control module died $400 for just the part (search on it and you will see it happens to a fair number

Clutch slave cylinder and all the labor to fix it, plus a new clutch plate/fly wheel i had to cover, $2k

Hood strut

Gas cap

Headlamp ballast

3 other control computers associated with the NPP exhaust and flakiness again in the electronics, something on the order of $400 each, plus labor (they must decide that every control module besides the main computer is $400)
... and I am at 35K miles with about 18 months on the warranty.

My experience is my experience. Its a Chevy after all, with lots of electronics and i my case is almost 7 years old. I have gotten my money's worth and thankfully I have an excellent Corvette shop (thanks Kent Eismann in Jupiter) that also has a good relationship with the GMPP folks.

I never worry about crap that breaks on my car. I have an LS7 motor that may or may not have an issue depending on whom you ask, the position of the moon in the sky, and if your santaria priest sacrificed a live goat or a live chicken. I have the comfort of knowing if there is a demon lurking in their in the heads, it will be taken car of and rest assured it will be thoroughly tested prior to the end of the warranty.

In short, GMPP is worth it to me. I don't have the time or equipment to do all myself, so i go the next best route - good mechanic, good insurance.

Cheers!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:32 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Good thread. Thanks for the info...I'm definitely going to check into extending mine for the logest possible time...
Old 04-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I was down at the Chevy dealer the other day having my GMC serviced. Talked to the finance man and asked if I could buy another extension for my '08' Z. It would be my 2nd GMPP extension after the original factory warranty. I have 22K at present and bought the first ext. in 2011. It expires next year,2015. At that time it cost me $1,100. The finance guy said I could as long as I do it before the present expires, preferably 30-60 days before it expires. But it would probably cost close to $3,000 this time around, I guess due to age and mileage. I probably will do this when the time comes. I have a friend that called Costco and managed to get an extension on his 2009 base Vette for $2,500. But he said that Costco is not issuing warranty for Corvettes any more.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:08 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

I sent Dennis an email last night asking about extending mine. Here's a link to a recent thread talking about the extensions...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ewal-news.html

Maybe he can save us a bit of $$...
Old 04-20-2014, 03:39 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Nomad
I was down at the Chevy dealer the other day having my GMC serviced. Talked to the finance man and asked if I could buy another extension for my '08' Z. It would be my 2nd GMPP extension after the original factory warranty. I have 22K at present and bought the first ext. in 2011. It expires next year,2015. At that time it cost me $1,100. The finance guy said I could as long as I do it before the present expires, preferably 30-60 days before it expires. But it would probably cost close to $3,000 this time around, I guess due to age and mileage. I probably will do this when the time comes. I have a friend that called Costco and managed to get an extension on his 2009 base Vette for $2,500. But he said that Costco is not issuing warranty for Corvettes any more.

Gotta ask yourself, if you re up, on the day that you re up, you've got $4,100.00 into extended warranty coverage.

How long will it take you to run up $4,100.01 worth of repairs after you drop the other 3K on them?

Of course peace of mind counts for something though.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:23 PM
tractorguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure did on my 13. Bought all the years and miles I could get from Dennis. Not worried one bit about the valves or anything else. Is stock nod don't track it. Drive it like I stole it though. My GMPP 84 x84 (I think) wasn't but a skosh over 2k. Cheers. FB
Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
The GMPP is no longer run by GM. It is implemented by a financial group, ever since GM's bankruptcy. It also is due to be sold or done away with later this year (If I recall right). GM now has their new GMEPP, which is owned and operated by GM. I was advised to go with them (which I did) for by new Yukon Denali. The coverage options are the same as the GMPP and the coverage was substantially cheaper. Also, it's available to be sold online for ALL states, unlike the GMPP. All dealerships recognize the plan too.

Dennis Fitchner (or any dealership) can hook you up.
I believe it's now run by ALLY
Old 04-21-2014, 12:07 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Gotta ask yourself, if you re up, on the day that you re up, you've got $4,100.00 into extended warranty coverage.

How long will it take you to run up $4,100.01 worth of repairs after you drop the other 3K on them?

Of course peace of mind counts for something though.
Hello '06 Quicksilver', your quite right on this. $4,100 would buy another alternator, cat and some other odds and ends although an engine would bankrupt me plus the wife would go ballistic and probably leave. Its crazy how much you have to pay out just to have peace of mind with these cars. I'll probably talk to Dennis Fitchner before I do extend although he told me last time he couldn't offer an extension on the original factory GMPP warranty as I had exceeded the B-B. He did offer something else though which was more expensive than what my dealer was offering for $1,100 which takes me through Sept of 2015.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynch Z06
If you plan on modding the motor, don't get it. If you are going to leave it stock, get it.

Good luck
Old 04-21-2014, 05:40 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

GMEPP aka Chevy Service Plan covers more stuff, i.e. mag shocks, if that's a consideration for you.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:44 PM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would skip the warranty. Have the heads checked. If they pass, you're fine. If they fail, get them fixed now while you have an existing warranty. I've made it a point in my life to skip extended warranties and now am so many thousands of dollars ahead by not buying them that I'm self insured for quite a while. I've had relatively good luck though so it may not be the best for everyone.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:06 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I got one on my Z and never had an issue, but it helped me get top dollar when I sold it. It gave the new owner a piece of mind. If you trade the car in before it's up, GM will refund the unused portion... No brainer it's worth it!!
Use Ken Fitchner to get it.... Best price by far.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Should I purchase GMPP?