Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GT2 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:01 AM
swordsman
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GT2 coilovers

I have been on the fence a long time on whether to go coil overs or not. Now having a ride height issue, I'm curious to what forum members think of LGs coil overs, and how different the car will feel on the street. Is the ride more or less harsh on the street. My car has the Johnnie O'connell kit on it now.
My basic hesitation is that I have zero expertise in dialing in an adjustable set up and know of no one local to help. Please advise,thanks.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:54 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

IMO...if you don't like to "tinker" and are not mechanicall sound when it comes to these cars, then coils may not be for you. Adjustable coils take time to get everything dialed in as far as height, dampening, then alignment. I know guys who threw on a set of $2000+ coils on their cars and hated the way they felt, then switched back to stock all because they didn't know how to properly set it up. However with that being said, I have installed LG GT2s on friends Z06s, and they are great pieces...
Old 04-17-2014, 11:12 AM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're close to Dallas I'd recommend having them install it for you. If not, they should be able to tell you the best settings for your usage. I have the G2s. Initially when i bought the car without coilovers, I was surprised with the smoothness of the ride and low stiffness. When i put the G2s on, I was immediately greeted by the feeling I was originally expecting from a track ready street car. I (26y/o, no health problems, fun seeking) would recommend coilovers for this car.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

LG can set them up to your liking. If you want a plush set just to lower the car and ride around on they can do that. Want a set for track they can do that too.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:28 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

THe Gt2's can be set up almost Cadillac soft if you want it that way or you can go racecar firm. There is no way I can see that you would not like the ride, soft or hard the car is much nicer with the coilovers. I would also add that once you install them ( I did my first set in my garage) you can forget about them. There is no tinkering after the fact, unless you want to adjust the ride firmness and that it done by twisting a ****. Taking the wheels back off is not required.

Last edited by morris; 04-17-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 PM
swordsman
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome, that's what I was waiting to hear.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 PM
morris
Drifting

oh and upgrade the swaybars at the same time with the coilovers its a night and day difference
Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

I have installed 3 sets of GT2s on Z06s and have never had them setup correctly right out of the box...unless you want a lopsided ride height and are content with whatever random dampening is set on them. (every car responds different). But they are indeed very nice riding coils.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:32 AM
morris
Drifting

I'm not sure what you were expecting, adjusting the ride height is part of the installation process. If you get them direct from LG they will even set the height to what most people want them at. The first step is to ensure that the left and right coil overs are set at equal height when you install them. yes you may have to tweak the height one more time once you do the initial adjustment if it isn't quite how you want them. The point of the GT2 is that they are user adjustable in terms of firmness, of course you are going to have to set the dampening it's a single ****. LG will give you common settings but there is no right or wrong settings if you are driving on the street set the dampening to the drivers preference.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:46 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Of course I was expecting to adjust height...but you are stating they are good to go right out of the box and that was not the case in my experience.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:49 PM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered mine and I hope I find someone here can set them the way you talking about.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:33 PM
morris
Drifting

Barook, its easy if you would like me to provide some guidance when you get them don't hesitate to call LG or you can touch base with me and I will be happy to assist.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:43 AM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Barook, its easy if you would like me to provide some guidance when you get them don't hesitate to call LG or you can touch base with me and I will be happy to assist.
I'll see, let the parts comes first then I'll let you know if I need a help.

Get notified of new replies

To GT2 coilovers

Quick Reply: [Z06] GT2 coilovers