Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Replace factory mufflers with Borla mufflers but keeping factory piping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:22 PM
vette505
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replace factory mufflers with Borla mufflers but keeping factory piping?

I've been searching some time for a good deal on a Borla Stinger exhaust system.. but just can't swallow the idea of spending $1200 on an axle back for my c6z when the same cat back system for my 03 SVT Cobra was $650 new. I have however come across the opportunity of purchasing two stinger mufflers for less than $400 and having a muffler shop cut out the factory mufflers and weld in the new Stingers. The Stingers are made of stainless steel, and have 2.5" in and outs. My factory exhaust has the butterflies in the tips, but I don't see that as being any issue with the Stingers. Does anyone know if the factory piping is stainless, and has anyone tried this themselves? Are there any issues you think ill run into doing this? Also, I know the grade of stainless is probably better on the Borla system.. but that doesn't matter to me. The car was engineered with the stainless it has on it now.. so I trust it. Thanks guys!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:10 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Well if you don't mind intense drone the Stingers are for you! But if I remember correctly the piping and mufflers of the stingers are completely different than the stock system. Why not just remove the stock system completely and not do some chopping? I think you should try the muffler mod first.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:41 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Do muffler mod if youre looking for more growl.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:46 PM
vette505
Racer

Originally Posted by iwantaz06now
Well if you don't mind intense drone the Stingers are for you! But if I remember correctly the piping and mufflers of the stingers are completely different than the stock system. Why not just remove the stock system completely and not do some chopping? I think you should try the muffler mod first.
What is this muffler mod you speak of? And does it sound good? IMO, Corsa sounds dry and honestly.. like crap - just to give reference of what I think sounds good/bad. The Borla Stingers are my preferred sound. Also, I thought they removed the drone in the Type 2 Stingers that the Type 1 stingers had?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:47 PM
vette505
Racer

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
Do muffler mod if youre looking for more growl.
Does the mod sound good? And does it drone?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Look it up on youtube for vids "muffler mod c6 z06". It will not drone if you have the flaps closed. You can also get a mild to wild switch, which will control the flaps manually.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:57 PM
vette505
Racer

Actually.. after looking into the muffler mod, it doesn't really interest me. $350 shipped for a pair of S-Type II is more interesting. Why can't I just buy them and have them professionally welded in? I'd have less than $400 in it. What am I overlooking if anything?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Where are you finding s type ii mufflers for $350 shipped? Is your Z06 stock?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 PM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Borla stingers on vettes and I do mean original stingers too. I had them on my 03 z06 and currently have them on my c6z. First of all the muffler mod is in no way close to the Borla sound and especially at wot. Borla screams way louder than stock mufflers can dream of and stingers also sound way better at idle and not too much louder than a muffler-modded z06 exhaust. A modified muffler actually sounds a lot like an old pickup compared to the borlas. And yes the borlas drone bad, but how many actually use a race car on long trips? I know....A few lol.

I purchased my borlas (over axle system only) used from ebay. Think I payed under 600 shipped although I did have a local shop do a custom x-pipe and mandrel bent exhaust to meet the Borla system above the axel. This was around 400 bucks. So $1000 total but worth it. I do recommend buying the full system if you want an x-pipe as my axle back system definitely needed custom fabrication as in no way did it line up with the factory pipes.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 PM
vette505
Racer

Originally Posted by iwantaz06now
Where are you finding s type ii mufflers for $350 shipped? Is your Z06 stock?
Jegs. They have them for $175 each with free shipping. I have a local muffler shop that would weld these in for less than $100 and they do great work. It seems like a no brainer!?!
Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Wndotintman
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vette505
Jegs. They have them for $175 each with free shipping. I have a local muffler shop that would weld these in for less than $100 and they do great work. It seems like a no brainer!?!
What are you planning to about the tips?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 PM
vette505
Racer

Originally Posted by Wndotintman
What are you planning to about the tips?
Probably just keep the factory tips and keep the tip butterflies functional. If they serve as a dampener, then that could be handy when just cruising and wanting the car to be quiet (maybe even help kill the dreaded drone?). When they open once you give the car some throttle, I would think that would allow the Stingers to sing. I honestly don't think this would be considered a "hack" job if the muffler shop made nice welds and could keep everything straight. I don't think the factory tips are ugly by any means. I may just clean them up with Eagle One Wadding Polish and who knows, it may look stock and sound like a $1200 system.

Thing that gets me.. $1200 axle back with $350 mufflers. So you are paying $850 for the pipes and the tips? Sounds silly considering there is already a stainless steel system with the right bends and mounting points, with chrome tips already? I know you didn't ask for this entire reply in your post, but I'm kind of thinking out loud as I respond!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

You have a part # cuz im trying to figure out what youre talking about. Trying to keep the stock tips and the butterfly valve, while swapping the mufflers out..
Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 AM
vette505
Racer

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
You have a part # cuz im trying to figure out what youre talking about. Trying to keep the stock tips and the butterfly valve, while swapping the mufflers out..
Right here. After looking at the stock tips there will need to be some modding required or simply purchasing new Borla tips and removing the butterflies. No big deal. The link is below. Im talking about a simple muffler swap while keeping the stock pipes. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...=&pgGrp=search
Old 04-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Right here. After looking at the stock tips there will need to be some modding required or simply purchasing new Borla tips and removing the butterflies. No big deal. The link is below. Im talking about a sile muffler swap while keeping the stock pipes. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...=&pgGrp=search
Youll have to make custom piping, weld the mufflerw in , and get brand new exhaust tips. The stock tips you wouldnt be able to use since theyre 2 seperate tips, not joined together like any other dual tips. At least you can unload the stock axlebacks here.

Im assuming there will be a good amount of drone with this setup?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 AM
vette505
Racer

Yes.. I'm starting to think maybe this isnt worth it. But $1200 for an axle back is like paying taxes.

Last edited by vette505; 04-01-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Wndotintman
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes.. I'm starting to think maybe this isnt worth it. But $1200 for an axle back is like paying taxes. Robbery.
I would look for a used set here. You find them from time to time.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace factory mufflers with Borla mufflers but keeping factory piping?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Replace factory mufflers with Borla mufflers but keeping factory piping?