Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Comp cam 227-239 for LS7 smog legal , Ca. .

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 PM
JMNZO6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp cam 227-239 for LS7 smog legal , Ca.???

Been considering cam swap to a Comp cams 227-239 for the 2007 Z. Would be doing the springs, retainers, exhaust valves, rocker arms and combustion chambers clean up along with some intake to port matching. My question is directed to my fellow Z owners that have installed this cam in the Peoples Republic of California that have had to smog their Z cars with this cam. Any problems getting their cars to smog. Realize the exhaust gas sniffer test is now history, but the OBD-2 system is very smart about detecting changes. Any one have had any problems? No other external changes on my Z. Total stock from the outside and I will meet it that way. Do not need any red flags from the visual. Just causes the smog tech to start dig deeper. No CAIB stickers or part numbers you are screwed. Like to keep the externals looking factory as much as possible. Any one with any smog history with this cam set up? Cheers, John.

Last edited by JMNZO6; 03-16-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Need to add? Marke
Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JMNZO6
Been considering cam swap to a Comp cams 227-239 for the 2007 Z. Would be doing the springs, retainers, exhaust valves, rocker arms and combustion chambers clean up along with some intake to port matching. My question is directed to my fellow Z owners that have installed this cam in the Peoples Republic of California that have had to smog their Z cars with this cam. Any problems getting their cars to smog. Realize the exhaust gas sniffer test is now history, but the OBD-2 system is very smart about detecting changes. Any one have had any problems? No other external changes on my Z. Total stock from the outside and I will meet it that way. Do not need any red flags from the visual. Just causes the smog tech to start dig deeper. No CAIB stickers or part numbers you are screwed. Like to keep the externals looking factory as much as possible. Any one with any smog history with this cam set up? Cheers, John.
what is the LSA? we had a cam with 3-4 degrees of overlap pass the sniffer while using factory cats... if that cam is on a 115 lsa or maybe even a 114 lsa ( that puts overlap 3-5 degrees) it might squeak by and pass smog.... We also offer a camshaft that we have proven to pass smog in many different cars while utilizing stock cats. Email me for details if interested.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:21 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

no sniffer, obd only.........should pass without issues as long as nothing has been disabled thru the ecm.

We've changed here too to obdii and my tuner has done several now with many cam combo's, all passed. had the sniffer stayed - no way !!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I am not at all certain that we have moved away from the exhaust gas sniffer on the dyno.

I know it was scheduled for early this year, but I don't think this happened yet.

However if it has then a good tuner can solve your problems with a much larger cam than that.

Get notified of new replies

To Comp cam 227-239 for LS7 smog legal , Ca. .

Quick Reply: [Z06] Comp cam 227-239 for LS7 smog legal , Ca. .