Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dash buzz - retaining clip helped, replacement cowl eliminated it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:26 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dash buzz - retaining clip helped, replacement cowl eliminated it.

Anyone who has searched the archives regarding buzzing sound coming from the dashboard area occurring at highways speeds will find a lot of information.

This problem bugged me for a while, and being busy with work, it took me a while to look into and get it fixed.

Here's the gist, to save someone some time:

- The dashboard cowl is the curved plastic/rubber structure outside the windshield, that abuts the windshield at the bottom and that the windshield wipers sit on.

- For some reason, some of these vibrate at higher speeds i.e. >60 mph, and cause a buzzing sound that seems to emanate from the dash.

- You can confirm that this is the cause of *your* buzz - as opposed to some other cause - by taping down the surface of the cowl to your windshield with some masking tape (the entire length of it) and then going out for a drive: if the buzzing has ceased, then you've diagnosed the cause.

- In some model years (mine is '08), the cars left the factory with only four retaining clips, instead of the necessary five. You can check to see if you're missing the center clip by opening your hood, pulling away the rubber/foam strip at the base of the windshield cowl, and looking at all the retaining clips; it's the center one that's missing in these cases. If that is the case, order the following part from GM Parts Direct:

Cowl clip P/N 10224748 . It costs 2 bucks.

- Put it on and see if it resolves. In my car, it improved the buzzing sound by 80% or more. But there was still a little bit of buzz, and it still annoyed me.

- There are fixes that do not require replacing the cowl. For example, read this bulletin:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1582677513-post10.html

There are others on this forum who have reported other creative ways to stop the buzz. But if you are under warranty (and possibly if you are out of warranty) - they should fix it for free.

- Today a chevy dealer service department replaced my cowl with a new one - under warranty - and the buzz went away completely. I'm really happy. If you want to purchase and do yourself (I don't know how easy this is, you may need a tool to remove windshield wipers), you can buy the cowl from GM Parts Direct with part number : 25778761

It costs $54 plus shipping.

I had bought one myself - before I realized that it was covered under warranty - so if you want to buy it from me (brand new in box) for $30 plus whatever shipping costs, then send me a PM. Or if you are local, you can come pick it up.

Hope this helps others who have the annoying buzz.

Last edited by Adam_W; 03-09-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:47 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Many thanks! Good info!

Z//
Old 03-09-2014, 10:22 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

GM has a bulletin for this fix, ive replaced quiet a few at work.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:37 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

PM sent Adam...thanks Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Dash buzz - retaining clip helped, replacement cowl eliminated it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dash buzz - retaining clip helped, replacement cowl eliminated it.