Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Sending my car to Katech for heads / cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Here is what the 501 Kavorka cam sounds like

Added the popping from 13.2:1 CR: 608 RWHP 535lb-ft

I actually turn LTFTs on. I prefer the 29 mpg I get with $2.99/gallon e85. 6th gear.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 04-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Yes, sir.

Also, some of the worst offenders were intake valves which supports our statement that it's the seat-to-guide concentricity and not a specific problem with the OEM exhaust valve.
Nice to see you still supporting the subforum with your perspective!

Originally Posted by Undy

Although @ 88K miles none of my valves were out of spec the intakes were the worst and just on the border of being out.
Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
We are seeing more and more real data that supports your satatement that the primary culprit is the lack of concentricity between valve seat and guide.

In time, given the use bronze guides and S.S. valves, no doubt they would also fail if the interface was not concentric, might take a little longer, but fail they would
Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
When you install bronze guides you do a valve job anyways, so the guide-to-seat concentricity would be fixed.
An un-intended benefit for those initially chasing the faulty LS7 exhaust valve....

Originally Posted by propain
Yes the intakes sure were the smoking gun. Something that has yet to be refuted.
Interesting that after almost a year, the arguments are about the same. People are getting "fixed" though, so either way that's a good thing.

It seems that barring the rare exception, the underlying key to a long-lived healthy LS7 is professional head work, regardless of the components ultimately used. Although people inevitably tend to fight to the death in arguments for the sake of pride, it seems the OEM exhaust valve has gotten an undeserving reputation here in spite of the intake valve issue that has also been recognized - in part at least - for years.

There is plenty of room for OEM hollow stemmed valves, solid valves, bronze or sintered metal guides, etc; as long as detailed examination is paid to the instillation and geometry (and people have a proper understanding of what they're trying to accomplish): something which essentially all of the forum vendors will do once you make up your mind. Pick your shop, trust their work and enjoy.

I'll definitely be stopping back in before my next Z06 in a few years to see if anything changes!

Last edited by Random84; 04-19-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:56 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
Nice to see you still supporting the subforum with your perspective!

An un-intended benefit for those initially chasing the faulty LS7 exhaust valve....

Interesting that after almost a year, the arguments are about the same. People are getting "fixed" though, so either way that's a good thing.

It seems that barring the rare exception, the underlying key to a long-lived healthy LS7 is professional head work, regardless of the components ultimately used. Although people inevitably tend to fight to the death in arguments for the sake of pride, it seems the OEM exhaust valve has gotten an undeserving reputation here in spite of the intake valve issue that has also been recognized - in part at least - for years.

There is plenty of room for OEM hollow stemmed valves, solid valves, bronze or sintered metal guides, etc; as long as detailed examination is paid to the instillation and geometry (and people have a proper understanding of what they're trying to accomplish): something which essentially all of the forum vendors will do once you make up your mind. Pick your shop, trust their work and enjoy.

I'll definitely be stopping back in before my next Z06 in a few years to see if anything changes!
Im not sure if that could be stated any better than that.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default K501

The 501 hits 600 RWHP at 6200 rpm, then builds to 607 and holds on to 600 until 7100 rpm. Over 500ft-lbs at 4200 rpm until 6250 rpm. We are running Katech's Ti/Moly Intake and Exhaust valves, bronze guides, trend pushrods, bushed stock rockers.

I have the fuel shutoff at 7400 rpm and that seems too soon. I can only use this kind of power in third gear, and then only on 85F+ days.

Need a wing. Ugh

Last edited by Halltech; 04-19-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:44 PM
cruzin2
Pro

7400 RPM!! wow....that's allot of RPM out of a 427. I have a stock bottom end (at the moment) and I will probably stick with the 7000 rpm limiter. horsepower will not be my problem at the track after this build.

Cheers Jim!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:01 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzin2
Car is still at katech. After I found that the lifters and cam had some scaring on them at only 5 track days and 9000 miles, I decided to add a full ARE system to the build. Looks like I was pushing the car harder than I thought on cup tires. Car should be ready by end Of April.
So did Katech say oil starvation caused your lifter/cam issue. I know I have heard oil starvation causing bearing failure. I also know there have been many reported lifter/cam failures on non tracked cars.

I'm sure Katech will build you a good motor ……. good luck at the track

DH
Old 04-20-2014, 01:02 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Subscribed as well!
Old 04-20-2014, 02:06 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Damn that K501 cam is a beast.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:30 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
So did Katech say oil starvation caused your lifter/cam issue. I know I have heard oil starvation causing bearing failure. I also know there have been many reported lifter/cam failures on non tracked cars.

I'm sure Katech will build you a good motor ……. good luck at the track

DH
Katech has been very accommodating helping me with my car. It's hard to say what caused the lifter /cam issues, only that it's not what you want to see in a car after such limited track time. My experience has been that lack of oiling can cause issues as can foreign material circulating through the motor. I just felt that it was the best engineering judgement to make the upgrade now. Katech suggested that it's better for track cars to have this system but not mandatory.

Low oil pressure makes any contamination worse so I figured I would do what I could afford.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:00 PM
musicmankeb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Katech #60

I love my car now, just need stickier tires haha!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:52 AM
cruzin2
Pro

Decided I really wanted a ARE stage III system while I was doing all the other changes, so the car should take another week to complete. Can't wait to get her back!!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Decided I really wanted a ARE stage III system while I was doing all the other changes, so the car should take another week to complete. Can't wait to get her back!!
That's a wise decision and a good investment that you will never regret.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:24 AM
dmorse
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Subscribed!
Old 05-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...6-sn-66-a.html

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 05-09-2014, 05:29 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Cruzin2!!! Your Z looks killer.. Congrats
Old 05-10-2014, 12:44 AM
cruzin2
Pro

Thanks Don, I can barely contain my excitement!! Would have picked it up friday but we had some serious storms roll through the Metro area.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:13 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Default Results of first real drive

Well the first thing I need to say is WOW. If you thought the z06 was fast before, the car is at a whole new level.

Second gear is now like first where you need to be aware of the pavement grip and third on the highway can also break the tires loose easily

I just love the power.

As far as drivability goes, there definitely is a difference. The car has a nice idle sound and you get noticed. When taking off you need to give a little more gas to keep from stalling but nothing like a drag car or high stall converter. No noticeable bucking or negative performance unless you really dog the motor. Nothing that I found objectionable but you feel the motor rocking a little under some conditions. I contribute this to the race seats I have in the car that are not as posh as the stock ones.

Overall the car has gone from fast to stupid fast with limited to no negatives other than perhaps a more skilled clutch foot. Don't know yet about mpg but for me that's not really a factor.

Thanks to katech for all of the work and attention to detail. Car is well sorted and it was a fairly big tear up. I would definitely recommend them and plan to b back in the future.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:45 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Well the first thing I need to say is WOW. If you thought the z06 was fast before, the car is at a whole new level.

Second gear is now like first where you need to be aware of the pavement grip and third on the highway can also break the tires loose easily

I just love the power.

As far as drivability goes, there definitely is a difference. The car has a nice idle sound and you get noticed. When taking off you need to give a little more gas to keep from stalling but nothing like a drag car or high stall converter. No noticeable bucking or negative performance unless you really dog the motor. Nothing that I found objectionable but you feel the motor rocking a little under some conditions. I contribute this to the race seats I have in the car that are not as posh as the stock ones.

Overall the car has gone from fast to stupid fast with limited to no negatives other than perhaps a more skilled clutch foot. Don't know yet about mpg but for me that's not really a factor.

Thanks to katech for all of the work and attention to detail. Car is well sorted and it was a fairly big tear up. I would definitely recommend them and plan to b back in the future.
Your right about 2nd gear, you just about need a runway in front of you to wind these things hi threw 2nd & 3rd. At the tail of the Dragon last month i went threw 3/4 a tank( hi winding all DAY long) and my Bud LFZ had over a half left!! My Z is on her way to Katech now to get the Heads done. Looks like we just missed eachother. Congrats on your Katech Z. Its a great club to belong to...
Old 05-22-2014, 08:35 AM
z06STILLER
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new package. I am sending mine up to Katech in exactly one month for exactly the same package.....waiting is not fun! I appreciate the write up. Now I know what I can look forward too, oh and that I'll need tires!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sending my car to Katech for heads / cam