Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Project Crystal - Interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:20 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Crystal - Interior

Well, after what seemed like forever and a day, the new seats are finally in my '10 03LZ Z06 - I call "Project Crystal." If you search in this section, you will see the power and suspension upgrades that have me at about 622 h/p and 3050 lbs.

We all know that perhaps the biggest improvement of C7 was the interior. I will not get into the styling and other issues here. Compared to the C7 interior, the C6 leaves much to be desired, with the biggest item being the seats. Our seats look a bit like folding chairs compared to the C7 offerings. Since I am sticking with my N/A 427, interior changes needed to be made to add to the start made by 3LZ.

The seats were made by APSIS and consist of all Napa high quality leather with the exception of the center portions which are the highest quality of alcantera they offer. They feature all of the stock airbags, heaters, lumbar, etc. The color scheme was my own, trying to best key into my crystal red car. The seats are incredibly comfortable and FINALLY hold me properly in the car. Now these seats make the C7 leather and vinyl seats look like folding chairs in comparison.

I also swapped out the steering wheel for a 2012 Centennial Edition bought from a Forum Vendor. Here, I was happy with the upgrade and did not want to spend the mega bucks for a "D" type wheel. The center console is from the '08 Cooksey edition.

The sound system/GPS may be next. Judging from the plethora of problems many C7 owners are having with their upgraded units, I believe I can do much better - for a price!

Pics below....I hope!

Over and out...
Old 02-19-2014, 04:34 PM
HP ADDICT
Pro

Beautiful! More info on the wheel?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:37 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

HP, I bought the basic steering wheel as soon as the improved 2012 unit became available. The basic steering wheel did not have the airbag/airbag cover (which is attached to the airbag). This was because at the time, there was concern that some airbag sensor changes made after 2010 might not be compatible with my 2010 system, possibly causing a faulty deployment. I do not know if that is still considered to be true now - you would have to check.

So, in my case, I bought the 2012 centennial steering wheel "shell" sans airbag assembly from a Forum vendor for $236, then we swapped my 2010 airbag assembly into the 2012 shell. I purchased the 2012 overlay piece separately from another Forum vendor who sells lots of aftermarket interior stuff and attached it to the original 2010 airbag cover. No one has ever noticed that it was an overlay as opposed to the original airbag cover. For me, the 2012 Centennial steering wheel was a big improvement over the original stock steering wheel which I always disliked.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:49 PM
blackbelt
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

more info on seats please. Price if you don't mind asking?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 AM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blackbelt
more info on seats please. Price if you don't mind asking?
Well, as far as I know, there are only two principle Forum-vendor providers of these kinds of seats, APSIS and Carvaggio. Bring a small suitcase with lots of cash for both, which I believe are pretty comparably priced. Your stock seats are worth around $1200 as a trade-in to them assuming they are in good shape.

I ordered my seats at Carlisle, which is one of the few times a year APSIS offers a 10% discount on seats, so I saved about $500 as I recall.. Of course price is also dependent upon the model of seat you choose (believe it or not my seat model was the less expensive one) and the particular way you spec out your seats. For example, the alcantara centers of my seats were more expensive.

I really thought hard about jumping in here - mulled it over for about a year. But, since I had made a substantial investment in the power/suspension/brakes/body parts, it just seemed to be a natural next step. They are not making any more Z06 "big block" 427s, and I am keeping mine long term. To me, the stock seats were embarrassingly poor, and gave me minimal support in track events. They really set the tone of the interior, despite having the 3LZ and other upgrade bits, now a totally different story. Seriously, the stock C7 seats, as improved as they are, do not hold a candle to these.

But a word of warning, besides bringing a small suitcase stuffed with cash, be prepared to be PATIENT and find someway to retain that patience over the many months it will take to receive your seats.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks Killer!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Very nice! Question, how did you get down to 3050lbs? Allways enjoy your threads and post. Again. those seats look comfy..
Old 08-20-2014, 08:51 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DON T.
Very nice! Question, how did you get down to 3050lbs? Allways enjoy your threads and post. Again. those seats look comfy..
At the time of that old post (who dragged it out of the dustbin..) I had the car weighed on at a friend's facility that had a truck scale. His scale is used to weigh 50-60000 lb trucks sometimes, so it is not as accurate when it weighs lightweight toys!

Fairly recently, I had the car re-weighed with all fluids at a race shop that uses closely calibrated race scales and it pegged at exactly 3090 lbs. I was a bit disappointed, and I hope to get the weight down a bit more over the next several months.

Still beats that base C7 Z06 coupe weight of 3524 lbs...and my car is a 3LZ.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 PM
apsisusa
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 602 Likes on 408 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

After looooooong waiting finally we see your pictures. This week is Carlisle show again. It's exactly one year. It took us 3 months to make the seats for you but took you 9 months to show us the pictures. Need much more patience.

Looks great. Proud to be part of the team for your mod.

Are you coming to Carlisle this year? Hope to have the chance to see in person.

Jersey
Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 PM
vettekid05
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How much did you pay in total?

Get notified of new replies

To Project Crystal - Interior

Quick Reply: [Z06] Project Crystal - Interior