Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Large Metal Strips on Oil Plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM
DelaWhere
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Metal Strips on Oil Plug

Hey guys, I have what I believe to be a serious problem and would appreciate any advice you have.

First the the background: I have a beautiful '08 Z06 with roughly 9k miles, I purchased it at 2500mi from a dealer. At that time it already had a cam (with "proprietary" dimensions UGH!), a vararam, kooks/corsa, and a tune.

I enjoyed a NJMP track session with it, where the oil went as high as 310 deg; I later discovered this was because of the vararam and the hack job done to the radiator shroud. I considered changing the oil immediately after that run but since I was planning headwork I waited (I only accumulated about 250mi since anyhow). The oil has been changed regularly prior to this at well respected Chevy dealers, I was told it's incredibly difficult to drain a Z06's oil (no idea why I was told that... but nonetheless I never tried it myself until last weekend). Neither dealer mentioned a word about any issues.

Numerous shops and local friends checked it out in my search for a place to get headwork done, no one ever saw any reason for concern. I wanted to avoid the dreaded valve guide issue so heads were a high priority. I ended up doing the heads myself with the help of a few knowledgeable friends.

Sorry for the long read, I don't want to leave out any info that may help. So here's the problem: AFTER the new Advanced Induction heads were installed we changed the oil, (before starting it) this is of course the last step, we found metallic shavings on the LHS drain plug and chips on the FWD one (see photos). Frankly, I'm terrified, I had to drive the car home from my friend's garage (SLOWLY) but she hasn't moved since.

From talking to people I believe it's from the cam's lobes and I will be performing a compression test, then removing the valley cover and seeing if I can inspect the cam directly and I definitely will be sending the oil out for analysis ASAP.

Can anyone provide any tips/insight or comforting words for me?
Attached Images   
Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 PM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Yikes..that's a lot of metal. Did you notice any unusual sounds while the motor was running? Like maybe the sound of a lifter taking a dump? I'm sure you'll get some sound advise. Worst case you have to tear it all back down, best case you clean off the magnets and check them every hundred miles or so and see it was left over debris from the head install. And I doubt you'll get any comforting words from this forum. Keep us posted.

Last edited by JwT; 02-18-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 PM
DelaWhere
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JwT
Yikes..that's a lot of metal. Did you notice any unusual sounds while the motor was running? Like maybe the sound of a lifter taking a dump? I'm sure you'll get some sound advise. Worst case you have to tear it all back down, best case you clean off the magnets and check them every hundred miles or so and see it was left over debris from the head install. And I doubt you'll get any comforting words from this forum. Keep us posted.
It sounded completely normal to leading up to the head work, on the ride home I convinced myself I was hearing new noises but that was most likely paranoia after seeing this. To be fair it is a super loud engine especially with the work done and I probably would've missed it anyway.

At this point I'm mentally (and financially) preparing to tear it all down, just hoping the thing can be saved without a full engine-out rebuild.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, always change the oil immediately anytime it gets that hot.

Second, the car had 2500 miles on it when you bought it and it had regular oil changes up to that point? Are you sure it had any oil changes at all?

Third, all things considered (aftermarket cam) I wouldn't sweat the metal too much at this point... change the oil and drive it if the oil analysis comes back without any huge red flags (like bearing material, which is non-magnetic). After about 1000 miles sample the oil again (this is probably what the lab will tell you too).

Fourth, anytime one has the heads off it is a good ideal to remove and inspect the lifters, and you can probably get a peek at a section of the cam lobes at this time too. Not a 100% inspection but better than nothing.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:12 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DelaWhere
Hey guys, I have what I believe to be a serious problem and would appreciate any advice you have.

First the the background: I have a beautiful '08 Z06 with roughly 9k miles, I purchased it at 2500mi from a dealer. At that time it already had a cam (with "proprietary" dimensions UGH!), a vararam, kooks/corsa, and a tune.

I enjoyed a NJMP track session with it, where the oil went as high as 310 deg; I later discovered this was because of the vararam and the hack job done to the radiator shroud. I considered changing the oil immediately after that run but since I was planning headwork I waited (I only accumulated about 250mi since anyhow). The oil has been changed regularly prior to this at well respected Chevy dealers, I was told it's incredibly difficult to drain a Z06's oil (no idea why I was told that... but nonetheless I never tried it myself until last weekend). Neither dealer mentioned a word about any issues.

Numerous shops and local friends checked it out in my search for a place to get headwork done, no one ever saw any reason for concern. I wanted to avoid the dreaded valve guide issue so heads were a high priority. I ended up doing the heads myself with the help of a few knowledgeable friends.

Sorry for the long read, I don't want to leave out any info that may help. So here's the problem: AFTER the new Advanced Induction heads were installed we changed the oil, (before starting it) this is of course the last step, we found metallic shavings on the LHS drain plug and chips on the FWD one (see photos). Frankly, I'm terrified, I had to drive the car home from my friend's garage (SLOWLY) but she hasn't moved since.

From talking to people I believe it's from the cam's lobes and I will be performing a compression test, then removing the valley cover and seeing if I can inspect the cam directly and I definitely will be sending the oil out for analysis ASAP.

Can anyone provide any tips/insight or comforting words for me?
As far as your next moves, the plan you outline above seems to be a sound plan.

On a side note, you mention that your heads were done by Advanced Induction.

What valves and guides did they use in your setup?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:36 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thing happen when I changed my oil for the first time after I purchased the car. Ran it for 2k-3k miles and changed the oil again to get it ready for the winter and nothing was there. I'm 100% stock
Isn't think kind of normal, especially for the "break in" period?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 AM
DelaWhere
Intermediate

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
As far as your next moves, the plan you outline above seems to be a sound plan.

On a side note, you mention that your heads were done by Advanced Induction.

What valves and guides did they use in your setup?
Bronze guides and SS valves (not sure about what brands/exact spec)

Also, I should've been more clear: this isn't the first oil change my car has had, it's the first I've done. It has 9k miles and has been to two different dealers for oil over the past couple years so I wouldn't call this break in wear. The cam has been in for about 6500miles as well.

Here's a question: if the shop that did the cam for the previous owner never replaced the lifters could that have lead to this? There was no evidence of the heads ever coming off prior to when I did it.

Thanks for the replies.
-Sean
Old 02-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Replacing lifters on a low mileage car isn't common. Could it be junk left in the heads from the work? I doubt it? Pulling the valley plate to look at the cam is fairly easy. I would do a quick visual. If it doesn't show anything run it a bit longer and check to see if more comes out.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:56 AM
caker
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default metal on mag drain plug

Hi , I often found this type of metal on the mag drain plug on the pan side. Some of the shrapnel looked like bits of stripped thread material.
After changing the heads i found out it was valve seal material from turning valve springs.Three valve seals were hammered to bits, one was gone completly another broke in half and the last missing part of the base. Stock engine low mile car. Hope its nothing serious for you to repair.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DelaWhere
Bronze guides and SS valves (not sure about what brands/exact spec)

Also, I should've been more clear: this isn't the first oil change my car has had, it's the first I've done. It has 9k miles and has been to two different dealers for oil over the past couple years so I wouldn't call this break in wear. The cam has been in for about 6500miles as well.

Here's a question: if the shop that did the cam for the previous owner never replaced the lifters could that have lead to this? There was no evidence of the heads ever coming off prior to when I did it.

Thanks for the replies.
-Sean

At 2500 miles, which was from the indication that you are giving was the mileage on the car when the cam was installed, it would not have been likely that they would have been looking to replace the lifters.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:50 PM
transAm-98
Advanced

Cut the filter. That should be first order of business if you suspect something is going through your motor.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 PM
DelaWhere
Intermediate

Originally Posted by transAm-98
Cut the filter. That should be first order of business if you suspect something is going through your motor.
Didn't think of that, I'll keep you guys posted with the results
Old 02-19-2014, 06:21 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

My plugs always look like that when I change the oil. In other threads where people ask the same question, its usually dismissed as normal with the solution being not to use a magnetic plug.

Its your car though.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:28 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
My plugs always look like that when I change the oil. In other threads where people ask the same question, its usually dismissed as normal with the solution being not to use a magnetic plug.

Its your car though.
The magnetic fuzz is normal, the metal chips on the first plug are not common.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:34 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
The magnetic fuzz is normal, the metal chips on the first plug are not common.
Apologies, I saw your pic on a dirty cell phone. Yeah, if its beyond fuzz, forget what I said. But kinda makes me wonder how big the stuff I was cleaning off my plugs was.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by caker
Hi , I often found this type of metal on the mag drain plug on the pan side. Some of the shrapnel looked like bits of stripped thread material.
After changing the heads i found out it was valve seal material from turning valve springs. Three valve seals were hammered to bits, one was gone completly another broke in half and the last missing part of the base. Stock engine low mile car. Hope its nothing serious for you to repair.
Very interesting. That's the second case of this reported here on the forum (in the case of the 2006 C6 Z06 below the car was a track rat with ~24K track miles on original stock heads ):

Originally Posted by Z06_505 on 7-27-2012
[...] Apparently the valve seals are being pounded by the springs and in some cases wearing out completely and breaking. [...] The worse offenders were on the intake valve seals and shown below.

I put the seal above the corresponding valve location in the photos to minimze how many photos I needed to post.

Here all I found under the #2 intake valve was the small chard of the seal housing. It clearly had been gone for some time The exhaust valve seal was still intact, but the bottom is worn as if spinning or pounding on the head seat. The seats on the head are scored badly, especially the intake.

Here the #4 intake valve seal was in three pieces and the exhaust valve seal clearly worn on the bottom. It sure looks like the valve spring is pounding the seal's base. Hopefully one of our engine builders reading this can explain whether this pounding can happen. I guess if there is valve float it is possible.

Here is the intake valve seal for the #7 intake valve. It is coincidentally the one next to the exhaust valve that dropped. It's missing a small piece from the spark plug side.

I did not have magnetic oil drain plugs so I never caught this phenomenon in progress. [...]
Old 02-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

If the OP still has his original heads I would suggest removing the springs and inspecting the seals/seats illustrated above.

Since the car was cammed when he got it I would be interested to know if it had the original stock springs/seals/seats as well (would not be recommended for most aftermarket cams).

Get notified of new replies

To Large Metal Strips on Oil Plug

Old 02-19-2014, 08:11 PM
DelaWhere
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mark200X
If the OP still has his original heads I would suggest removing the springs and inspecting the seals/seats illustrated above.

Since the car was cammed when he got it I would be interested to know if it had the original stock springs/seals/seats as well (would not be recommended for most aftermarket cams).
I had AI port and clean my stock heads (didn't buy new ones outright). They said everything looked fine, they tested the springs and said they are still good (they are aftermarket but I'm not sure what type/spec), AI didn't mention anything about the seals or seats so I'm assuming they were okay.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:07 PM
caker
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Metal on mag plug

In the pics above of the valve seals,this is exactly what i found apon removal of the springs in my original heads.It was first detected at around 6600mi by a GM Garage. The seals and springs were replaced along with the eng oil pump cooler and lines. I found it again,at,12000mi, but one seal was already completly gone. After asking questions i was told it is by no means common but has been seen before. The recomended fix is the Katech PSI spring upgrade with the two piece valve seal/seat and Ti retainer.Parts are specific for oem guides or bronze guides.

I will add that my car was driven on track and used for what it was built for. It is an 06......

Todd
Old 02-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Two things could be going on with the stock spring seats (not to hijack the thread too much):

1. I doubt the OEM spring seats are hardened steel. All aftermarket spring seats I've seen for sale are advertised as hardened steel. This makes me think they would stand up better than the OEM seats.

2. The OEM valve spring is run very close to coil bind... perhaps as close as .050" depending on who is doing the measuring and how. Normally .050 is desired when dealing with a performance shop that measures everything individually. However, spring manufacturers recommend running no closer than .050 to coil bind and in a mass production situation -- like the LS7 heads -- we really don't know where the tolerance stack up leads to and using .050 as a spec/target is really leaving no room for production line error (which, in the opinion of some, we are seeing in these heads).

So, to sum up, the springs might be running too close to bind and that could be causing the damage we see to the OEM spring seats, or the OEM seat could simply be too 'weak' (unhardened) to stand up to normal LS7 operating loads. All this assuming no repeated driver error (over-revving the engine and floating/bouncing the valves, which would be hard on the spring seats (and most everything else in the valvetrain)).

Quick Reply: [Z06] Large Metal Strips on Oil Plug