Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Akrapovic Evo Titanium...Does it pop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:15 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Akrapovic Evo Titanium...Does it pop?

Hello,
I'm looking at the Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust. Does it do much snap, crackle and pop when installed on a worked n/a C6 Z06? Everybody compliments me on how good my car sounds with the 2011 Z06 cat back exhaust. It's miles better than my bland sounding 2008 system. My car has the Vette Doctor's Sick Stick cam kit in it. I really love the popping and burbling on deceleration, and I'm worried that the Akra's don't do it as much. I've watched many videos and they don't seem to pop too much. Thoughts? I like the Akra's for their lightweight. And I'm also hoping they have more of a burbly sound at lower rpm's (like 1-2k rpm's). I also like the flaps. Everybody has Corsa. The key is to maintain the machine gun like popping
Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

If you don't mind some drone you'll love the Akra system. You'll get the popping sounds that you like and, for my ear, the best overall sound for an aftermarket catback on our Z06s. Here are a couple of vids that should help. The first one is the one that made me decide to get Akra exhaust. The second one is my car under light throttle and it illustrates the sound that I think you're looking for.

That said, if you like your current sound and don't want any drone, stick with what you have. Drone is not extreme but it is there, mostly at light throttle at freeway speeds pulling in 6th.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:47 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 276 Posts

Mine pops very little. And it does drone on my setup, but not nearly as bad as some others I have heard.

My car has longtubes, milled heads, Fast102, stock cam
Old 01-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I had Ti Akra's on my car with a torque 110, fast, NW and kooks headers with cats and there was way too much drone for me. Now I do have the Katech carbon rear hatch with lexan rear window so that might reflect exhaust pulses more but they gave me a headache and frankly made the car no fun to drive in. Sold it and went back to stock NPP's. Funny thing also to me is that the exhaust seemed louder in the car with the flaps closed than it did with them open and no matter if the flaps were open or closed, they droned like crazy. I too bought them to try and cut some more weight out of the car but to me it was not worth having to deal with the drone and in my case my car is about 90% track use (so I would not consider my self to be overly noise sensitive).
Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Interesting. Yeah with my current 2011 OEM Z06 exhaust it's too quiet with the flaps closed on the highway. With the exhaust open it's a bit annoying would hope for a little less drone open, and a bit louder when quiet. It's got american racing headers too and the Zr1 x-pipe

If anybody is in the NY, NJ, CT, PA area with this system I'd love to hear it too.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 PM
m.whitmell
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got the Akrapovic Evolution SS system on my Z06 (stock) and it burbles a lot.....will drone on the hiway in the low revs but I usually run it with the flaps closed and it sounds fine....flaps open around town....sounds awesome...
Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the Akrapovic SS Evo exhaust and it pops and gurgles. I do have American Racing LT headers, catted x pipe, fast 102, 102 TB, and it sounds great with the flaps closed. Now with the flaps open, it just makes me smile!It
Old 01-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by iwantaz06now
Interesting. Yeah with my current 2011 OEM Z06 exhaust it's too quiet with the flaps closed on the highway. With the exhaust open it's a bit annoying would hope for a little less drone open, and a bit louder when quiet. It's got american racing headers too and the Zr1 x-pipe

If anybody is in the NY, NJ, CT, PA area with this system I'd love to hear it too.
Honestly, between your cam and headers, you're probably better off keeping what you have. Drone with my otherwise stock engine is undeniable. I did some sound deadening mods that really helped but did not eliminate drone. I'm happy with what I have but your drone will be increased by the cam/header combo and I just don't think you'd be satisfied long term, especially if you spend much time on the highway.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Hello,
I'm looking at the Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust. Does it do much snap, crackle and pop when installed on a worked n/a C6 Z06? Everybody compliments me on how good my car sounds with the 2011 Z06 cat back exhaust. It's miles better than my bland sounding 2008 system. My car has the Vette Doctor's Sick Stick cam kit in it. I really love the popping and burbling on deceleration, and I'm worried that the Akra's don't do it as much. I've watched many videos and they don't seem to pop too much. Thoughts? I like the Akra's for their lightweight. And I'm also hoping they have more of a burbly sound at lower rpm's (like 1-2k rpm's). I also like the flaps. Everybody has Corsa. The key is to maintain the machine gun like popping
Popping is caused by decell timing. Exhaust type will only change the tone, not elliminate it. I hate it, and have changed timing to get rid of it on my Z.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:08 PM
WhiteKnight
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get a little pop on deceleration. I like the akra but the drone at low rpm is pretty bad with it wide open. Akra closed the noise level is about equal to a stock exhaust (w/headers + cam) wide open IMO. I like it but it's not for everyone.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 PM
cheet_code
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 01-30-2014, 10:57 PM
css60
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Torqer

Oh man, I think I just popped!! Awesome

For mine, stock engine with intake and a tune, SS Evo. It definitely drones, but I can live with it. It doesn't pop and burble quite as much as I thought it would, but I still love it! I'm in PA, but with the condition of the roads, I don't think it will come out anytime soon. Sry
Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Ooo torqer that does sound pretty mean. I've never seen "that" video. Once again I looove popping. The more the better!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Css60 when the weather warms up I'd love to hear your setup. If anyone went from a 2011 + Z06 to Akrapovic please chime in
Old 01-31-2014, 12:32 AM
css60
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Css60 when the weather warms up I'd love to hear your setup. If anyone went from a 2011 + Z06 to Akrapovic please chime in
After a good rain, you got it.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:11 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not that much popping but too much drone for me.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:26 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

If anyone went from a 2011 + Z06 to Akrapovic please chime in
I did above, what I wrote was about the Akra's is in a '11 Z06. As mentioned with a cam it is going to drone..... a lot as both I and WhiteKnight mentioned. You can keep on asking for opinions as much as you want but bhat people think of it in stock cars and what not, who cares that's not what you own. The '11 z comes with the best sounding npp exhaust that they made. If you want increased sound and more popping on deceleration why don't you just add LT headers? You will spend less, cut weight and actually get a performance gain from it too (without the drone & headaches).

Get notified of new replies

To Akrapovic Evo Titanium...Does it pop?

Old 01-31-2014, 02:59 AM
AussieZ06
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Akra Evo Ti on pretty much stock 08 Z06.

For me it's made the sound smooth and sexy and louder than stock. Now I am a lover of LOUD exhausts and the Akra is far from that, but I think they just got it right.

The tone is deep.

I get a brilliant boom when I change gear under hard acceleration. I have more popping during deceleration than stock - I like that.

There is drone with the valves open when pulling up at highway between 60 and 70mph, but if it's loud I just close the valves.

I noticed better throttle response with the Akra and the weight saving is a plus.

In my opinion it looks awesome and other folk love it. It gets lots of respect from bikies.

Look at the other cars Akra make exhaust for, there is some pedigree there.

I was considering the fusion but after hearing and seeing that I know I have the right system.

I might be biased but I love the Akra
Old 01-31-2014, 06:55 AM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Werks
I did above, what I wrote was about the Akra's is in a '11 Z06. As mentioned with a cam it is going to drone..... a lot as both I and WhiteKnight mentioned. You can keep on asking for opinions as much as you want but bhat people think of it in stock cars and what not, who cares that's not what you own. The '11 z comes with the best sounding npp exhaust that they made. If you want increased sound and more popping on deceleration why don't you just add LT headers? You will spend less, cut weight and actually get a performance gain from it too (without the drone & headaches).
Not sure if you saw but I do have American Racing Headers. Is Long Tube a brand or a type of header??
Old 01-31-2014, 07:47 AM
cheet_code
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by css60
Oh man, I think I just popped!! Awesome

For mine, stock engine with intake and a tune, SS Evo. It definitely drones, but I can live with it. It doesn't pop and burble quite as much as I thought it would, but I still love it! I'm in PA, but with the condition of the roads, I don't think it will come out anytime soon. Sry

Thanks bro....

Best exhaust I have ever had hands down.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Akrapovic Evo Titanium...Does it pop?