Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] FIXED Heads Red Lined at Track !!!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:06 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Haahaha ………. as good as these heads are I think I will stay at 7K

DH
Lol no kidding. Great vids.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:32 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Nice videos, Howie. What tires are you running this year?

BTW, I thought the Z06 G meter as limited to 1.27G, but last weekend mine showed 1.28G on the HUD after one of my sessions with the nearly gone NT-05's.

Dave
1.28G is the highest I have seen as well.

DH you use the Aim Solo DL right? How do you like it? I use traqmate right now but want to switch to the DL so it's easier to take in and out of the car.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Its not necessary to do on the track but its not to be feared either as you know

Like I said running up to the rev limiter intentional was intentional as the 3 Muskateers were giving me crap at my last track day. The implication was that I was fearful of how my FIXED heads would perform.

Funny how Mark, Michael and Propain haven't seemed to notice these videos but they sure noticed ever 100 rpm in the last ones

DH
Yup, I don't worry about it. I don't purposely try to hit it, but depending on the course sometimes its just quicker to leave it in gear, bounce off the rev limiter for a moment, then lift or brake or whatever I have to do. It has been a non-issue in my experience so far.

Your 24k street miles and 13 track days is a real testament to durability of your WCCH heads. I'm sure this has been asked, but do you have any plans on pulling the heads just to get them checked? I don't know of anyone who has more track time than you've got on these heads.

FWIW, one of the three you mention did see the thread and posted shortly after I did. But the post has since been deleted. Not saying who it was or what was said. But just imagine what you think they'd have said and you'd be correct.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zednought6
after coming from a car with a 9k redline...i've broken the needle off my tach. Not proud of it, but it is what it is...wcch still kicking ****.
s2000? Rx8?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:47 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Your 24k street miles and 13 track days is a real testament to durability of your WCCH heads. I'm sure this has been asked, but do you have any plans on pulling the heads just to get them checked? I don't know of anyone who has more track time than you've got on these heads.
If 24K miles is a testament to durability than what were his stock heads with 87K miles of equal abuse a testament to?

You guys are just pure comedy. Thank you for the daily laughs.

Nice flamebait thread BTW.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85
1.28G is the highest I have seen as well.

DH you use the Aim Solo DL right? How do you like it? I use traqmate right now but want to switch to the DL so it's easier to take in and out of the car.
The Solo DL is great. Besides allowing these overlays there is an analysis program that comes with it that lets you tear into the data.

You have to figure out how to sync the data with your video which I seemingly have messed up here. Looks like Session3 is good but others are messed up.

DH
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Yup, I don't worry about it. I don't purposely try to hit it, but depending on the course sometimes its just quicker to leave it in gear, bounce off the rev limiter for a moment, then lift or brake or whatever I have to do. It has been a non-issue in my experience so far.

FWIW, one of the three you mention did see the thread and posted shortly after I did. But the post has since been deleted. Not saying who it was or what was said. But just imagine what you think they'd have said and you'd be correct.
They may be pulled and inspected by WCCH for the advancement of science

No I missed the post. And now my imagination is running wild

DH
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

People need to stop listening to katech about the whole stainless valves at upper rpm's and freak out. They have shown me recently that not everything they say is gospel.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by propain
You guys were complaining remember ??? (should I dig up the posts???)

I just gave you what you wanted ……….

DH
Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM
ZedNought6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

s2000? Rx8?
RX8....Power of a 4cylinder, torque of a snapper lawnmower, thirst of a V12, handling like a motorcycle and the reliability after 80k like a KIA. Actually not a bad car all that being said, but after 6 years of ownership I have to re-calibrate my shifts. I kinda go by how the car feels and sounds for shifts and keep my eyes on the road. Since I got the Vette I've had to look at the tach and get used to feel all over again, but I have pummeled the rev limiter not bounced off it, or gently tapped it...the LS7 just sounds like it has more up there and keeps pulling till the last = AWESOME! I've got it dialed in now though. If a car can survive me, it is well built...I should work for GM proofing cars!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:41 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

You guys were complaining remember ??? (should I dig up the posts???)

I just gave you what you wanted ……….

DH

Thanks again for your WCCH endorsement. As if we needed to hear it AGAIN from you. I am sure Richard appreciates all your hard work on here though.

Complaining? Not the way I see it. An observation if I recall. One that was true. You weren't hitting redline and were short shifting on that track. You say the track dictated that, but from the looks of it you had plenty of room for a few hundred more rpm.

You seem to think this video is some type of vindication. No one said you cant hit redline. That is just another strawman argument. The prolonged use of the heavier valve and documented bounce at redline and the consequences of doing so has yet to be proven or disproved. This video doesn't show any of that. It only shows you can hit redline an not instantly blow up. A point no one was contesting.

Curious though since you are so eager to give us what we want, how are you so confident that your heads are "fixed"? You keep injecting that statement into every thread. Seems like a factual statement not an opinion. Coming from your experience with your stock LS7 and going 86K miles of hard track use before it let go I am fascinated by your confidence with little to no proof of success.

If you wanted to prove something inspection would be a good start. Also going 88K miles would help since that would surpass what you did with your stock heads with the same abuse you are giving these.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Got to agree with propain on this.....not sure how we are suppose to be impressed? How about getting your guides checked and If your guides are still in spec...then we might be impressed.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Got to agree with propain on this.....not sure how we are suppose to be impressed? How about getting your guides checked and If your guides are still in spec...then we might be impressed.
Ditto...except with so far under 87k mileage I still wouldn't be impressed.

I'll be impressed with WCCH if Howie's engine blows after 87k of hard track use and Richard steps up to the plate and GIVES him a completely new engine for FREE

Thing is, I wonder how Richard will feel after he GIVES Howie a complete new engine and Howie STILL bad mouths him all over the internet, surely the bromance will end at that point

Cheers, Paul.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

DH people can say whatever but u proved them wrong but ls7 does not need to be reved to 7000 these cars benefit power at 6400 6700 I have tracked mine at done tests no need..to but hey if people get mad oh well drive it to 1500rpm and shift slow....maybe it won't break...
Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LFZ
Old 01-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Thanks again for your WCCH endorsement. As if we needed to hear it AGAIN from you. I am sure Richard appreciates all your hard work on here though.

Complaining? Not the way I see it. An observation if I recall. One that was true. You weren't hitting redline and were short shifting on that track. You say the track dictated that, but from the looks of it you had plenty of room for a few hundred more rpm.

You seem to think this video is some type of vindication. No one said you cant hit redline. That is just another strawman argument. The prolonged use of the heavier valve and documented bounce at redline and the consequences of doing so has yet to be proven or disproved. This video doesn't show any of that. It only shows you can hit redline an not instantly blow up. A point no one was contesting.

Curious though since you are so eager to give us what we want, how are you so confident that your heads are "fixed"? You keep injecting that statement into every thread. Seems like a factual statement not an opinion. Coming from your experience with your stock LS7 and going 86K miles of hard track use before it let go I am fascinated by your confidence with little to no proof of success.

If you wanted to prove something inspection would be a good start. Also going 88K miles would help since that would surpass what you did with your stock heads with the same abuse you are giving these.

Logic will always trump illogic. No proof of a Fix in anything in the nice vid..

What is your definition of Fix DH??
Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

If 24K miles is a testament to durability than what were his stock heads with 87K miles of equal abuse a testament to?

You guys are just pure comedy. Thank you for the daily laughs.

Not really interested in an debate, but you've misunderstood the post of mine you quoted.

According to several people here, his SS valves were going to float, snap valve springs, and destroy his engine once it was running higher RPM and driven hard a track days.

Assuming 5 sessions each day at 20 minutes a pop, his 13 track days is almost enough to complete a 24 hour race. Yet it's still fine.

His OEM heads didn't have the valvetrain stress that concerns so many people here, so the comparison to his original heads/mileage isn't a valid. This is about the valve float and not guide wear (which to my knowledge, hasn't been measured). This is apples and oranges.

I hope he gets much more service life out of them, but to prove that, it will take time. But people here are very impatient and demand 100k + 100 track days immediately. I find that the fact hes got 13 track days and 24k miles on them on these new heads so far is quite remarkable. My car took over 7 years to get to 24k miles.

I find these early results to be extremely positive and I'm looking forward to hearing updates from Howie. The amount of time he gets on his heads in that environment reflects the durability of his current setup. The more time he can put on the engine the higher the perceived durability. This will take time.

Get notified of new replies

To FIXED Heads Red Lined at Track !!!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Ditto...except with so far under 87k mileage I still wouldn't be impressed.

I'll be impressed with WCCH if Howie's engine blows after 87k of hard track use and Richard steps up to the plate and GIVES him a completely new engine for FREE

Thing is, I wonder how Richard will feel after he GIVES Howie a complete new engine and Howie STILL bad mouths him all over the internet, surely the bromance will end at that point

Cheers, Paul.
so if he spins a bearing, throws a rod and anything else in the shortblock, then WCCH should give hime a new longblock??...because he did the cylinder heads. ok
Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

While I don't get to the track as often as Howie (something about living in Minnesota where we have six months of winter) I do have 6 track days on my WCCH heads and hundreds of redline (7100 rpm) shifts. I plan to do about 6 to 8 more track days this summer and then have the valve springs replaced and heads checked next winter. (Knocking on wood). Katech's findings on ss exhaust valves do concern me, but WCCH's experience with this combination on dozens or more LS7s that see regular track use was what convinced me to try them.

I had my car on the dyno when the heads were first installed and then again last fall after the track days and about 8000 miles total. It first did 555 rwhp and in the fall did 564 rwhp. Car was still making 550 rwhp at the 7100 rpm redline. Does anyone know if an LS7 would make 97% of peak hp at redline if the valves were floating or doesn't that mean anything?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:29 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hit my redline on the track all the time but my redline is 6500 RPM after installing SS exhaust valves. That's what I'm comfortable with given the increased weight of the valve train. Although i did 3 runs on the drag strip that did go to 7000 just to see how it did. At the track I shift at 6500 because i sleep better at night that way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] FIXED Heads Red Lined at Track !!!