Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] American Heritage Performance (my experience)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:07 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default American Heritage Performance (my experience)

As some of you guys know, I just had my heads sent to American Heritage Performance to get:
  • aftermarket PM valve guides, Ferrea F2042P exhaust valves, Treated TI intake valves, upgraded rockers with Comp Cams Rocker arm Truions, BTR dual valve springs with Titanium retainers.
Pretty much brand new heads. I never saw the actual heads (before or after), but when I asked the mechanic doing the R&R "how'd the heads look" he responded "they looked good, you could tell they knew what they were doing." American Heritage's turn around time was very fast, about 1 week from the time he took delivery. I actually had to call Kohle (the owner) and tell him to hold off on shipping because the R&R shop wouldn't be ready for them.

The owner answered the phone every time I called, never was short with me, never tried to get me off the phone, answered every one of my questions to where I could understand it.

It was a VERY big and tough decision not going with WCCH and sending my beloved cars heads to American Heritage, believe you me. Now I'm not discounting what WCCH means to cylinder heads and what they do with them. However after speaking to Kohle on the phone and through emails, I believe I made the right choice. It was an added benefit to hear the mechanic say "the heads looked great. The person who did this, knew what he was doing".

I've very excited to have "MY" car back. Not the valve issue laden thing I initially bought.... but the car I thought I was buying. A mean SOB that could take anything you throw at it. I've actually cracked 100MPH twice today :-). I'll be checking the heads in another 3,000mi and I will report then.... but until then I will drive it like I stole it!! Thanks Kohle!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:25 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on getting your car back and the peace of mind that you apparently have now with regard to this matter.

The thing that impressed me most about this outfit, is that they are the third investigators to identify discrepancy in the stock exhaust valve stem wall thickness.

240sx2jz and Chad being the others to identify the same valve stem wall thickness inconsistencies and variations.

When I asked American Heritage about this, they were very informative in their response to me via PM.

They informed me that they had actually done some measurements of exhaust valve wall stem thickness, and their opinion was that wall thickness was the issue with the valve, they were too thin, as well as consistency of that wall thickness throughout the entire valve.

So they were not only concerned with the actual consistency of stock exhaust valve wall stem thickness, but felt that the stock exhaust valve stem thickness was inadequate for the LS7 to begin with.

Made perfect sense to me, in light of all of the stock exhaust valve breakage incidents I've seen reported in here.

The fact that they didn't try and pass off the stock valves as being OK, and insult my intelligence in the face of all that I had observed over the years in here with these broken exhaust valves, , led to my immediate admiration for their efforts, no BS approach, and sincerity in trying to help their customers.

They are going to do well in here.

At any rate, congrats on your new heads and enjoy your car.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-16-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the update and CONGRATS! I wish that those valves would have been available when WCCH upgraded my heads to their Stage II. Did A H recommend the BT duals springs as opposed to the beeehives? You're running the stock cam?

FWIW I continue to closely monitor my H/C package for leaks, strange sounds etc... With the Comp Cams trunion upgrade and new heads it is whisper quiet. The valve train that is, because the 427 with KOOKS 1 7/8" catless headers and BIG Billy Boat Gen III FUSIONS, she is NASCAR loud. Lastly, I am glad that I am not the only one that drives it like I stole it.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:10 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyAirTraffic
As some of you guys know, I just had my heads sent to American Heritage Performance to get:
  • aftermarket PM valve guides, Ferrea F2042P exhaust valves, Treated TI intake valves, upgraded rockers with Comp Cams Rocker arm Truions, BTR dual valve springs with Titanium retainers.
Pretty much brand new heads. I never saw the actual heads (before or after), but when I asked the mechanic doing the R&R "how'd the heads look" he responded "they looked good, you could tell they knew what they were doing." American Heritage's turn around time was very fast, about 1 week from the time he took delivery. I actually had to call Kohle (the owner) and tell him to hold off on shipping because the R&R shop wouldn't be ready for them.

The owner answered the phone every time I called, never was short with me, never tried to get me off the phone, answered every one of my questions to where I could understand it.

It was a VERY big and tough decision not going with WCCH and sending my beloved cars heads to American Heritage, believe you me. Now I'm not discounting what WCCH means to cylinder heads and what they do with them. However after speaking to Kohle on the phone and through emails, I believe I made the right choice. It was an added benefit to hear the mechanic say "the heads looked great. The person who did this, knew what he was doing".

I've very excited to have "MY" car back. Not the valve issue laden thing I initially bought.... but the car I thought I was buying. A mean SOB that could take anything you throw at it. I've actually cracked 100MPH twice today :-). I'll be checking the heads in another 3,000mi and I will report then.... but until then I will drive it like I stole it!! Thanks Kohle!
Congrats! Can you provide a ball park 'all-in' (head work and R&R) number for your "fix"?
Old 12-16-2013, 11:14 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

might have to get my guides checked there
Old 12-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

OP, glad you got your LS7 fixed, and that you are satisfied with your decision.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:20 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

These guys sound like a good choice. I'm planning in giving them a call shortly. It's nice having choices.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:47 AM
joshz06
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They will be installing a cam for my this week.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:32 AM
wolf8218
Drifting

Woooooah there partner. 100mph!?! Twice in a day?!

What kind of insane are you?

Lol...
The following users liked this post:
Slasheshat (12-13-2020)
Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf8218

Lol...
Old 12-17-2013, 10:53 AM
youzzi714
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Navy, congrats on getting them done. Kohle is a great guy, I had my heads, cam, headers, pretty everything done with him, now at 12k miles since and my Z is still running perfect.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:21 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Lol...
did that in my Acura on the way to work...j/k I drive the speed limit...Congrats OP you made the CHOICE that works for you..Enjoy The Beast
Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
At any rate, congrats on your new heads and enjoy your car.
Thank you very much Quick!!

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Congrats! Can you provide a ball park 'all-in' (head work and R&R) number for your "fix"?
$1,800 AH, $1,100 R&R, ~$500 (fluids, bolt kit, lifters, pushrods, gaskets, etc.) so = ~$3,400.

Lol...
YES SIR :-)!!! This is after driving it like it was a Cavalier for about 2 months after I decided to get the head work done (including the 3 weeks I didn't drive it while it was at the shop)..... I was a child yesterday. My Honda Element just wasn't doing it for me.

Originally Posted by youzzi714
Navy, congrats on getting them done. Kohle is a great guy, I had my heads, cam, headers, pretty everything done with him, now at 12k miles since and my Z is still running perfect.
Youzzi, what you told me via PM had a large role with me even considering AH. Speaking and emailing with Kohle drove that decision home.

Just to make a very clear point: American Heritage and the owner Kohle didn't put me up to this, he didn't give me a discount or any other inventive to write this review. I was/am happy with how AH and Kohle treated me and conducted business. Call him, make your own decisions. Between what the mechanic told me of his opinion about the quality of the head work, AH turn around time, Kohle's availability and knowledge..... I'm happy with the path I chose. Just sharing the love :-)
Old 12-20-2013, 03:04 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,015 Likes on 534 Posts

NavyAirTraffic, thank you for your business. Glad to hear your finally driving your Z like intended.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Get notified of new replies

To American Heritage Performance (my experience)

Quick Reply: [Z06] American Heritage Performance (my experience)