Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] The "In Spec" guide wear registry

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:33 PM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Cyber Z06

Bought my Z from the dealer that did the warranty exchange.
the Tech knew about all the Internet hype but never had a blown LS7
at the shop but did Head replacements on LS7's before (Head corvette Tech btw) Very cool guy!

Took the Tech for a ride (2 blocks)
Went back to dealer
He ordered new heads before I left

Never even had the car in the Service center

3 days later, they showed up and next day they was on.
So they never measured the originals, he just ordered new ones?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:54 PM
veilseven
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we're still logging results here; I just received my test results from Kohle at American Heritage Performance.

2007 Z06, 38k miles, no mods:

#1 exh: .008"
#1 int: .007"

#3 exh: .007"
#3 int: .005"

#5 exh: .006"
#5 int: .005"

#7 exh: .007"
#7 int: .005"

#2 exh: .019"
#2 int: .006"

#4 exh: .008"
#4 int: .007"

#6 exh: .015"
#6 int: .009"

#8 exh: .010"
#8 int: .007"
Old 05-20-2014, 04:59 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by veilseven
If we're still logging results here; I just received my test results from Kohle at American Heritage Performance.

Watch out your valves might spontaneously combust for no reason...

Those are some great results. Congrats. I will add you.

Where are you located? Also did AH suggest that you change your valves to SS even though you guides were in spec?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:13 PM
veilseven
Heel & Toe

I'm in South Dakota. Brand new owner actually. I picked up the car about 3 weeks ago from the Saint Louis, MO area. That's where it spent its entire life up to now. I don't really have any history on the car. So, I drove it twice, and then tore the heads off the very next week to ship out.

I actually just requested AH's Package #4 from the start: Powdered Metal guides plus Ferrea F2042P valves along with the dual valve springs, locks, retainers, etc.

Driving this car twice and then taking it apart is torture...
Old 05-20-2014, 05:28 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by propain

Where are you located? Also did AH suggest that you change your valves to SS even though you guides were in spec?

What????? WTF?????

Some of these guide to stem clearances are way out of spec.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-20-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:42 PM
veilseven
Heel & Toe

Oh boy...I just realized this thread is the "In-Spec" thread. Didn't realize there is an "Out of Spec" thread.

Sorry guys.

...off to the other thread...
Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh boy...I just realized this thread is the "In-Spec" thread. Didn't realize there is an "Out of Spec" thread.

Sorry guys.

It's seeming like the thread starter didn't know it either.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-20-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Propain

Put the crack pipe down

Even a dentist who can't spell knows that .019 and .015 ARE so bad that indeed his valves might spontaneously explode

HAHAHAHAHA .... so exited that you actually had a report of in spec guides that you didn't even look at the numbers. Yep just one more set of heads with that so called poor QC issue that only affects a few cars according to GM. Face it most are out of spec because of some other reason !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veilseven, you are quite lucky not to drop a valve head. Do you track your car??

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 05-20-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:43 PM
veilseven
Heel & Toe

Sorry again for hitting the wrong thread. Figures one of my first posts would be in the wrong spot...

To answer your question, no, I haven't tracked the car. I actually just bought it a few weeks ago and I don't have any history on it. It came from the saint louis area. So, if anyone knows of a recently sold (within a year) silver z06 with black ZR1 style wheels from that area, let me know.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Sorry again for hitting the wrong thread. Figures one of my first posts would be in the wrong spot... [...]
Don't worry about it... just your bad luck that you picked a topic where the vultures are always circling
Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Sorry guys.

LOL... I was barely paying attention and reading your numbers from my phone. You would be happy to know I would have checked before I added you though (Which I didn't yet).

Good luck in the other thread. Sorry about your bad luck.

Last edited by propain; 05-20-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Sorry again for hitting the wrong thread. Figures one of my first posts would be in the wrong spot...

To answer your question, no, I haven't tracked the car. I actually just bought it a few weeks ago and I don't have any history on it. It came from the saint louis area. So, if anyone knows of a recently sold (within a year) silver z06 with black ZR1 style wheels from that area, let me know.
Well I hope you do track it once the heads are fixed. Its a blast on the track

DH
Old 05-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Propain

Put the crack pipe down

Even a dentist who can't spell knows that .019 and .015 ARE so bad that indeed his valves might spontaneously explode

HAHAHAHAHA .... so exited that you actually had a report of in spec guides that you didn't even look at the numbers. Yep just one more set of heads with that so called poor QC issue that only affects a few cars according to GM. Face it most are out of spec because of some other reason !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veilseven, you are quite lucky not to drop a valve head. Do you track your car??

DH
Bet you can't factually back up your most claim!!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
Bet you can't factually back up your most claim!!
Please show me all the reports to the contrary ……….. all I see is one report after another of out of spec guides.

DH
Old 05-21-2014, 10:40 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

……….. all I see is one report after another of out of spec guides.

DH
Agreed Howie, you are correct. This is actually what baffles me as to why select folks choose to demonize a part for not surviving an environment in which it was never designed to operate (guides outside of .0037). Then praise a replacement part which also has been proven to fail in that same environment (guides outside of .0037). If there was ever an instance when the first part failed within .0037, then there would be supporting data. There was a case fabricated by a member who has since been banned, and that was all later debunked by the cars owner to refresh some.

I agree, with my heads being in spec after almost 20k, its safe to say I was in the minority before having WCCH install bronze guides.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
Agreed Howie, you are correct. This is actually what baffles me as to why select folks choose to demonize a part for not surviving an environment in which it was never designed to operate (guides outside of .0037). Then praise a replacement part which also has been proven to fail in that same environment (guides outside of .0037). If there was ever an instance when the first part failed within .0037, then there would be supporting data. There was a case fabricated by a member who has since been banned, and that was all later debunked by the cars owner to refresh some.

I agree, with my heads being in spec after almost 20k, its safe to say I was in the minority before having WCCH install bronze guides.

Exactly.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 PM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage

My thoughts are a lot of people don't have confidence in the guides, even after getting new bronze ones and a valve job. I know I don't. I'll be checking mine every year.
And a solid stainless valve will be more durable than stock if you do get outside the tolerance before you can catch it. As would the beefier and better made ferrea hollow stem.
It could give you more time to catch the loose guide b4 grenading the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To The "In Spec" guide wear registry

Old 05-21-2014, 12:38 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by adamgl
My thoughts are a lot of people don't have confidence in the guides, even after getting new bronze ones and a valve job. I know I don't. I'll be checking mine every year.
And a solid stainless valve will be more durable than stock if you do get outside the tolerance before you can catch it. As would the beefier and better made ferrea hollow stem.
It could give you more time to catch the loose guide b4 grenading the engine.

Possibly. It stinks that you have to live in a constant state of fear to own this car. Hopefully we see more inspections from cars with high miles running the bronze guides and those guides come back within limits. That would certainly ease my mind. This is why proof of longevity is so important.

"Could give you more time". Yes, another gamble however. Madsen used SS valves in his LS7 with worn out guides. He only made it about 10K miles on them before one of them let go.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Please show me all the reports to the contrary ……….. all I see is one report after another of out of spec guides.

DH
Are you serious? You said more? Without proof of your claim you are wishfully fishing without bait!!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:29 PM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly. It stinks that you have to live in a constant state of fear to own this car. Hopefully we see more inspections from cars with high miles running the bronze guides and those guides come back within limits. That would certainly ease my mind. This is why proof of longevity is so important.

"Could give you more time". Yes, another gamble however. Madsen used SS valves in his LS7 with worn out guides. He only made it about 10K miles on them before one of them let go.
Agree, We'll just have to see how the bronze guides last, with all choices of valves.
Solid might only give you a couple thousand more miles than stock before they fail, or 10's of thousand. But if those extra miles are enough for you to catch it, then it's worth it. Depends on how worn guides are, who knows, all will eventually fail with out of spec guides. Fatigue is not their friend, lol.
My first couple of checks will be way sooner than 10k miles, until I get some confidence in the guides.

Quick Reply: [Z06] The "In Spec" guide wear registry