Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Wiggle test results

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wiggle test results

If you're not familiar with my story (from my now closed thread), I decided to get my cylinder heads done without checking them (2007 Z, 19,100 miles). However, I asked the shop doing the R&R on my heads: "how much more to check the valve guides before you ship them off". He responded "nothing" (F'N great right!)

So I told him to check one valve guide, if that first guide was out of spec (told him about the .0037" limit) just put the rocker back on, continue removing the heads and ship them off. However, if the first valve was good, continue checking the guides and call me. Well he called me.... and not because the guides were within spec.

He called and said: "I only checked the drivers side valve guides and I didn't even put a gauge on them. The clearances were so bad that there must have been at least .02" of play on some of the guides. There was no need for a gauge, I could feel significant movement with just my hands." He was shocked... I wasn't. This is the same shop that the owner has a C6 Z06 and tried to talk me out of getting the test done.

My heads will be shipped off today. I'm going to keep my Z completely stock, drive it like I stole it (no track, just spirited road), and check the guides again within 10,000 miles to see how they look and I will report back then.

I feel like I dodged a HUGE bullet here and I want to thank the forum members for bringing the valve guide issue to my attention, providing me with the information I asked for, and your support. A special thanks to a member who gave me a wealth of info via PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:31 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats ! This forum saved my motor too. Plus now your can drive worry free and enjoy the car like its ment to be enjoyed.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:54 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyAirTraffic
If you're not familiar with my story (from my now closed thread), I decided to get my cylinder heads done without checking them (2007 Z, 19,100 miles). However, I asked the shop doing the R&R on my heads: "how much more to check the valve guides before you ship them off". He responded "nothing" (F'N great right!)

So I told him to check one valve guide, if that first guide was out of spec (told him about the .0037" limit) just put the rocker back on, continue removing the heads and ship them off. However, if the first valve was good, continue checking the guides and call me. Well he called me.... and not because the guides were within spec.

He called and said: "I only checked the drivers side valve guides and I didn't even put a gauge on them. The clearances were so bad that there must have been at least .02" of play on some of the guides. There was no need for a gauge, I could feel significant movement with just my hands." He was shocked... I wasn't. This is the same shop that the owner has a C6 Z06 and tried to talk me out of getting the test done.

My heads will be shipped off today. I'm going to keep my Z completely stock, drive it like I stole it (no track, just spirited road), and check the guides again within 10,000 miles to see how they look and I will report back then.

I feel like I dodged a HUGE bullet here and I want to thank the forum members for bringing the valve guide issue to my attention, providing me with the information I asked for, and your support. A special thanks to a member who gave me a wealth of info via PM.
Glad things are working out for you NavyAirTraffic.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:24 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Glad things are working out for you NavyAirTraffic.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:26 PM
bearcatt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good deal. You will get your heads fixed, re-installed and be fine for thousands of miles more.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:34 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sucks we have to do it but way to be proactive! My passenger side was loose enough for me to pull my heads off without checking the driver side.

But boy when i got my driver side off... wow. Hot dog in in a hallway! it was more than 7x out of spec
Old 11-15-2013, 04:36 PM
youzzi714
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks bro! I went thru a similar ordeal on mine and got them done for the piece of mind!

Good luck w the Fix!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:38 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine were so bad, you didn't need a guage to see the movement.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sucks, but at least you caught it before something broke. My situation was similar... was going to put in a cam, checked the guides, heads needed to come off for repair.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:47 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Well I planned on getting the heads done without even checking them. With these results I can rest assured knowing I'm doing the right thing.

I said in my other thread: I've never seen a "got my guides checked, they are within spec" thread/post/anything. I now fall into the long line of guides being grossly out of spec.

My car has a checkered past, coming from a exotic rental car dealership and all. I fully assumed my guides would be bad.... just not this bad for a 19,000 mile car.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Despicable Z
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Good catch! Way to be proactive!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Bushum
Advanced

A special thanks to a member who gave me a wealth of info via PM.
If there is no personal info involved would you mind copy and pasting that info into a PM to me? I figure that's the easiest way for me to learn without having someone take all the time to explain it.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:46 PM
ZedNought6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent! just got my heads done too...Nice not driving around a dud grenade, ya never know when it will go off! I must say I'm enjoying all the other performance goodies goodies too.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 PM
ctsv510
Pro

Congrats on making the right choice at the right time.

Where did you send your heads and what are you having done to them?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:06 PM
JFCalvano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I should check the forums more often,... What the heck are ya'll talking about? Wiggle test? Valve guides? Sounds menacing at best, costly at worst. Kind of afraid to ask what happens when whatever it is that happens happens. Blown engine? I have an original 06 Z06 that I purchased new. Drive it a bit and quite hard at times (cuz that's the way I figured it likes to be driven - I know I sure like it that way!). I've got about 41,000 miles on my Z and just ordered the Fusion cat-backs because my stock mufflers have a terrible rattle that I have read is likely the stock mufflers falling apart. Are there any noticeable signs to having bad valve guides? Mine seems to run hard and idle like the day I bought her. Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:27 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

"Search" this forum for "valve guides" and allow several hours for reading.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:47 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Originally Posted by Bushum
If there is no personal info involved would you mind copy and pasting that info into a PM to me? I figure that's the easiest way for me to learn without having someone take all the time to explain it.
I'm sorry. I inadvertently erased most of the messages.

Originally Posted by ctsv510
Congrats on making the right choice at the right time.

Where did you send your heads and what are you having done to them?
I have decided to send them to American Heritage Performance. I contacted them after I saw their thread here on CF. I spoke with Richard at WCCH and Kohle at AHP. Through my research and my personal reasons, I decided to go with American Heritage. Work that's being done:

-Aftermarket powdered metal valve guides
-Ferrea super alloy hollow F2042p exhaust valves
-Comp cams trunions upgrade (correct needle bearing issues with the early model 07's)
-Upgrade valve springs to dual valve spring with titanium retainers

Originally Posted by JFCalvano
Okay, so I should check the forums more often,... What the heck are ya'll talking about? Wiggle test? Valve guides? Sounds menacing at best, costly at worst. Kind of afraid to ask what happens when whatever it is that happens happens. Blown engine? I have an original 06 Z06 that I purchased new. Drive it a bit and quite hard at times (cuz that's the way I figured it likes to be driven - I know I sure like it that way!). I've got about 41,000 miles on my Z and just ordered the Fusion cat-backs because my stock mufflers have a terrible rattle that I have read is likely the stock mufflers falling apart. Are there any noticeable signs to having bad valve guides? Mine seems to run hard and idle like the day I bought her. Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.
Search the forum, also there is a very large sticky thread up top. I was told that you will hear clear ticking sound around 2000 RPM and smoke from the exhaust on initial cold start..... mine had no signs of significant wear.

Originally Posted by BearZ06
"Search" this forum for "valve guides" and allow several hours for reading.
Yuuup. Exactly what he said. I read and read and obsessed over this topic for 2 weeks. You'll find viewpoints from both ends of the spectrum from: "it's a major epidemic" to "it only concerns a small batch of heads, don't worry". You'll have to make your own peace with it, and come to your own conclusions.

Last edited by NavyAirTraffic; 11-15-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiggle test results

Old 11-15-2013, 09:48 PM
ctsv510
Pro

I have decided to send them to American Heritage Performance. I contacted them after I saw their thread here on CF. I spoke with Richard at WCCH and Kohle at AHP. Through my research and my personal reasons, I decided to go with American Heritage. Work that's being done:

-Aftermarket powdered metal valve guides
-Ferrea super alloy hollow F2042p exhaust valves
-Comp cams trunions upgrade (correct needle bearing issues with the early model 07's)
-Upgrade valve springs to dual valve spring with titanium retainers
Thanks for the response. Let us know how it goes with AHP and the rest of your process. I'm be interested to hear how you and your shop feel about their work when the heads come back.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:11 PM
UniTink72
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by erichg1000
But boy when i got my driver side off... wow. Hot dog in in a hallway!
Hilarious! Also applies when joking about a small dude and large woman
Old 11-15-2013, 10:25 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I am sorry for all of us that this is necessary, but you did the right thing and immediately decided what you felt was best to do and than went and did it.

Now you can spend some time enjoying the car. And that check in 10,000 miles will give you a lot of piece of mind going forward.

My 08 hasn't hit 8,000 miles yet, but I am running up to NCal in 2 weeks and will get them checked at Abel. Just to make me feel better and also to take care of a couple of small warranty matters as well.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Wiggle test results