Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve issues fixed in '13 427 verts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by apredvette

After much, debate, deliberation and research. I chose the 427 "halo" car as being more worthwhile than a first year 7. To each their own. I love mine and plan on keeping it a long time.
What's the emblem I see on the fender of your 427 vert? Did you buy some 60th anniversary badges and stick them on?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:54 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by misteroman
If that ugly 50th(IMO) is holding value above the regular ones, this surely will.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider1
What's the emblem I see on the fender of your 427 vert? Did you buy some 60th anniversary badges and stick them on?
Looks that way. Id do the same. Nothing wrong with it. In fact, I run the "60th anniversary" center caps on my cup wheels on my 06 Z. They just look nice IMO and so do those badges.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:52 PM
apredvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hdrider1
They're the 60th anniversary badges from the commemorative ed.
I thought they looked at home on the collector 427 vert, so I added them. GM p/n
Old 07-28-2014, 12:15 AM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
Since I got rid of my LS7 Z06, I sleep well at night.

I would never buy another 427 LS7 as long as I live.
Why - yours blew up?? Oh wait, it apparently didn't.

Bye!

The real men here just ponied up and paid for the fix. These cars are bulletproof except for the exhaust valve guide, which can't be fixed.... Oh wait - it can be fixed.

I get so tired of the Nancy boys here.....
Old 07-28-2014, 12:20 AM
C6zMyth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach62
Why - yours blew up?? Oh wait, it apparently didn't.

Bye!

The real men here just ponied up and paid for the fix. These cars are bulletproof except for the exhaust valve guide, which can't be fixed.... Oh wait - it can be fixed.

I get so tired of the Nancy boys here.....

You speak for alot of us my friend
Old 07-28-2014, 02:10 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes it did blow up after I sold it! From what I heard, it was beat on pretty good.

I also had lots of other problems. The car was not reliable. I like to drive it other than to the shop for repairs..

The car, out the door, was $86K and you want me to pay to fix GM's mistakes???

Flame away...

Last edited by 2k Cobra; 07-28-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
Yes it did blow up after I sold it! From what I heard, it was beat on pretty good.

I also had lots of other problems. The car was not reliable. I like to drive it other than to the shop for repairs..

The car, out the door, was $86K and you want me to pay to fix GM's mistakes???

Flame away...
Yeah - and the IRS hard drives really did fail, your checks in the mail, I won't c....
Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Thanks for the input, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around all these LS7 issues.

I'm wondering if, barring of course the recent random rash of oil pressure/bearing failures resulting in motor replacement in MY12 and MY13 LS7's, if the engine is not otherwise relatively sound if you just keep it in stock form? A lot of time, energy, and capital went into the R&D of the engine, perhaps it's just so particular that it in turn is just not a mod-friendly engine?

Seems like even the most subtle change to your setup (intake/tune, etc.) could result in pressures/temps that the engine was just not validated for? Do you all think the recent rash of LS7 failures in MY12 and MY13 is more indicative of assembly issues, or supplier parts failure?
Man, I get tired of having to post the same crap over and over. The LS7, and the Z06 is pretty damned bulletproof other than the exhaust valve guides.

The oiling issues are not that common, and were primarily on cars that had modified suspensions and R comp tires on long, hard left turns. It was more a case of modifying the car in some areas and not beefing it up in others. Again - this is easy to fix and common knowledge.

I get tired of people blaming the cars for failing when the cars were modified in some areas, and not beefed up in others to compensate. Like the guy on here crying about his blown up LS7 when he put a cam in it without fixing the heads.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Thank you !!

That is the best explanation of effects on valves and why they me be suspect in the LS7.

Fortunately, this is not a worry for me any longer since I had my heads reworked with SS exhaust valves

DH
Howie, here are my issues. 1. those of us that chose the newer revised GM LS7 valves respect the decision of those that went solid SS, but that respect doesn't seem to go both ways.

2. - The solid SS valve is cheaper, actually much cheaper. If it was in fact better - and cheaper - wouldn't GM have used it in the stock engine?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[...] The oiling issues are not that common, and were primarily on cars that had modified suspensions and R comp tires on long, hard left turns. It was more a case of modifying the car in some areas and not beefing it up in others. Again - this is easy to fix and common knowledge. [...]
Actually it seems there are two oiling issues, or perhaps three.

1. The 8 quart sump on early cars (pre-2009). This was the racetrack high-G left turn failure mode. The subsequent larger sump, altho only a band aid, seems to solve that issue (the ideal fix would be a better dry sump system and better windage control in the block).

2. Bearing failures on late cars ('12 - '13). Could be related to a change in bearing material during that period, or --

3. -- could be related to a few issues of suspected oil pump bypass valve failure (stuck open... a QC issue).
Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Old Boot
Pro

I got the Vert 427 new when the C7s were sitting on the dealer floor. I would way rather have the C6 vert then the C7, Im faster, handle better and will not see 30,000 427 60th verts around EVER. I have a 5 yr warranty and drive it very spirited (3rd and 4 th gear are my friend, red line tells me when to shift. If I dont break it then most wount, only 7500 miles so far) ,so if it fails its gunna be under 5 years. Traded my 2012 GS for this car and just Love it.
Too bad its too late already for all the rest to see the light.
The following users liked this post:
rootine4 (06-27-2018)
Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Old Boot
Pro

I got the Vert 427 new when the C7s were sitting on the dealer floor. I would way rather have the C6 vert then the C7, Im faster, handle better and will not see 30,000 427 60th verts around EVER. I have a 5 yr warranty and drive it very spirited (3rd and 4 th gear are my friend, red line tells me when to shift. If I dont break it then most wount, only 7500 miles so far) ,so if it fails its gunna be under 5 years. Traded my 2012 GS for this car and just Love it.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I would add that the late model bearing failures seem to occur at very low miles (less than 3000), so if you've made it far past that then that would seem to be a good thing.

Bearing failure reports always seem to indicate, if not a knock, then very low oil pressure at idle (14 PSI or less) at normal oil temps. Hard starting (slow to turn over during cranking) is another symptom. Personally I would religiously run oil samples on these cars until out of what seems to be the danger range (again, several thousand miles).
Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Boot
I gotta agree with your logic. Bought my 427 vert used with 6,300 mi on it. It now has over 13,000 miles on it. I don't baby it, but don't abuse it. I've found 3rd gear to be an amazing passing gear. Like you say -- I have the balance of the factory warranty, so why worry about engine issues. Its a hoot to drive and will easily outperform the C7s that are so common.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Howie, here are my issues. 1. those of us that chose the newer revised GM LS7 valves respect the decision of those that went solid SS, but that respect doesn't seem to go both ways.

2. - The solid SS valve is cheaper, actually much cheaper. If it was in fact better - and cheaper - wouldn't GM have used it in the stock engine?
1. Has nothing to do with respect. I respect that you came to a different conclusion than me as to which valve to use. I went with the pros that I trust plus what I saw with my own eyes on the track.

2. You are presuming that GM is infallible and most of us don't believe that.

DH
Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

1. Has nothing to do with respect. I respect that you came to a different conclusion than me as to which valve to use. I went with the pros that I trust plus what I saw with my own eyes on the track.
2. You are presuming that GM is infallible and most of us don't believe that.

DH
Thats great...some of us are going to trust the guys that actually build PROVEN race engines.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve issues fixed in '13 427 verts?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by LFZ
Thats great...some of us are going to trust the guys that actually build PROVEN race engines.
Zing!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
I did trust guys that build race engines. Do I need to list all the CF vendors that build race engines and use SS valves for you ??

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 08-01-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:39 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

I did trust guys that build race engines. Do I need to list all the CF vendors that build race engines and use SS valves for you ??

DH

Come on Howie. You know your Rabi is WCCH and you took the advice from them. Not that anything is wrong with that but they are merely the guys who do the head work FOR the vendors who do race engines.

Most of those vendors who you will name just take the advice of whatever WCCH says to run. I can tell you some reputable engine builders in my area who suggested SS valves. Others laugh and ask if I am part of this forum. Others have never even heard of this drama.

When I pressed a bit further why they recommended SS they said "That's what the head guy said to use" or even better "That's what most people are asking for". When I said I don't want to use SS valves most said "Smart move, we can put in anything you like" most suggested titanium or stock OEM valves.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve issues fixed in '13 427 verts?