Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Blown engine!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 05:35 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by jimman
I'll let the guy from virginia speak for himself but we had simialar issues, like Oil Pressure sending unit failed on both at around 90,000 miles. I've had no major issues and follow the manual and dic for service. 5W 30 Mobil One. Had it tuned by Jim Hall when I picked up car and had 100 miles on it getting to his place. Also have his intake on the car since the tune. Had compression and leak down test done at around 150,000 miles. 5 cylinders at 205psi with zero leak down and three were between 190 and 200 with 3% to 1% leakdown. Dyno'ed at 482rwhp. Raced three times at Las Vegas and once at Button Williow and has done our monthly mountain and desert run every month since Feb 2007. Many Red Lines and sustained High RPM's thourgh the twisties. Bought car new.

Now thats how you drive the Z06. Amazing.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:59 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
LOL....you forgot to ask what color it is.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:12 PM
brewersprts
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Man this sucks. I am also wondering who your warranty is through and what happens. Hope it works out for you.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brewersprts
Man this sucks. I am also wondering who your warranty is through and what happens. Hope it works out for you.
Yeah..what was the issue.

As stated before. Hopefully you get a check. Build it and get some pocket money..lol good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by AmitZ06
Alright guys, I was heading back from Austin today on I-10...cruising at about 80mph in 6th gear and l felt a loss of power. I pull over and theres oil and a chunks of metal everywhere. Bad day for me....

Lets just hope my extended warranty covers it.

2006 Z06 with 52k miles.
Wow, just saw this. Damn, you have to check in every day or you can miss another blown LS7. Sorry and hope warranty takes care of this for you.

DH
Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Find out what they're paying before you do anything. I advise is to find a corvette dealer with Elite Service status with concentration on Corvettes. Let them do the work and get a LS7 crate engine through them from GM. It will improve the value of your car. If your near NC I can recommend a very good dealer and tech that really understands these cars. He is a Corvette Geek (literally). He just installed my new engine under warranty. 09 41k miles

Forgot to mention the bill was 22k. some of that was diagnostic and tear down. they were thinking it was rebuildable. NOT

Last edited by rabrooks; 11-05-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
Find out what they're paying before you do anything. I advise is to find a corvette dealer with Elite Service status with concentration on Corvettes. Let them do the work and get a LS7 crate engine through them from GM. It will improve the value of your car. If your near NC I can recommend a very good dealer and tech that really understands these cars. He is a Corvette Geek (literally). He just installed my new engine under warranty. 09 41k miles

Wow. You lost a motor too? What happened?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

FYI, I'm grateful they put themselves in my shoes and chose to look out for me. If they had wanted to get out of this warranty, they could have. Thankfully the dealer was on my side. Elite Service Status does mean a lot when dealing with GM reps.
Cheers
Old 11-05-2013, 07:01 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Wow. You lost a motor too? What happened?
Driving down the interstate at 75 mph, oil pressure dropped to 18 psi. I pulled over shut the car down, I brought it back up only to find idle pressure at 8 psi. no alarms or warnings. I drove it to the dealer 20 miles away. By the time I got there the bearings were cooked and the cam bearings were beat out. I asked the tech who is very good and thorough to pay special attention to the oil pump. I suspected the relief valve stuck open and starved the bearings. the problem was definitely oil starvation. We can't say why for sure. But, there was a scare in the oil pump relief valve piston. That indicated to me that the valve did stick open and flooded the sump. MKy car had a fresh tune, headers, CAI, roll bar, DBA rotors etc. The GM rep saw it all. I told the crew the absolute truth. I held nothing back. GM stepped up. I have purchased at least 25 cars from this dealer and 5 vettes in the last 9 years. I believe the elite status helped and I believe owner loyalty helped. None the less, I am very happy with the outcome. I'll be at the track in 9 days

I'm driving around in an 88 Chevy Pickup truck with that dealer's front licences plate advertisement still on the truck from 1988 now you know why. The lat time the truck was in there for service, the dealer noticed the license plate was faded and barely legible. He asked if he could put a new one on the truck. What to you think I said.

Last edited by rabrooks; 11-05-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Driving down the interstate at 75 mph, oil pressure dropped to 18 psi. I pulled over shut the car down, I brought it back up only to find idle pressure at 8 psi. no alarms or warnings. I drove it to the dealer 20 miles away. By the time I got there the bearings were cooked and the cam bearings were beat out. I asked the tech who is very good and thorough to pay special attention to the oil pump. I suspected the relief valve stuck open and starved the bearings. the problem was definitely oil starvation. We can't say why for sure. But, there was a scare in the oil pump relief valve piston. That indicated to me that the valve did stick open and flooded the sump. MKy car had a fresh tune, headers, CAI, roll bar, DBA rotors etc. The GM rep saw it all. I told the crew the absolute truth. I held nothing back. GM stepped up. I have purchased at least 25 cars from this dealer and 5 vettes in the last 9 years. I believe the elite status helped and I believe owner loyalty helped. None the less, I am very happy with the outcome. I'll be at the track in 9 days

I'm driving around in an 88 Chevy Pickup truck with that dealer's front licences plate advertisement still on the truck from 1988 now you know why. The lat time the truck was in there for service, the dealer noticed the license plate was faded and barely legible. He asked if he could put a new one on the truck. What to you think I said.
Wow, what an excellent outcome.

Your post is also interesting too in that the oil pump was suspected.

Glad to hear that you got it back on the road, and that they stepped up for you and took into consideration your customer loyalty.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just turned 180,000 and a guy in Virginia is over 230,000
You're kidding? Not that I don't believe you but I'd like to see a PIC of the odometer. What year is your Z? Thanx

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 11-05-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
You're kidding? Not that I don't believe you but I'd like to see a PIC of the odometer. What year is your Z? Thanx
Here's a pic of jimman's odometer I took when it was at 169k

Old 11-05-2013, 08:29 PM
bearcatt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll let the guy from virginia speak for himself but we had simialar issues, like Oil Pressure sending unit failed on both at around 90,000 miles. I've had no major issues and follow the manual and dic for service. 5W 30 Mobil One. Had it tuned by Jim Hall when I picked up car and had 100 miles on it getting to his place. Also have his intake on the car since the tune. Had compression and leak down test done at around 150,000 miles. 5 cylinders at 205psi with zero leak down and three were between 190 and 200 with 3% to 1% leakdown. Dyno'ed at 482rwhp. Raced three times at Las Vegas and once at Button Williow and has done our monthly mountain and desert run every month since Feb 2007. Many Red Lines and sustained High RPM's thourgh the twisties. Bought car new.
Thank you for answering my questions.

It's great to see an LS7 driven the way it's meant to be driven.

Originally Posted by LFZ
LOL....you forgot to ask what color it is.

LOL.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LFZ
Here's a pic of jimman's odometer I took when it was at 169k

I'm impressed (and a believer). If only I could know about having the same reliability.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
My suggestion would be parkway or mac haik. Both should be familiar with the issue. While you are unlikely to get a goodwill repair, it is possible. It is also possible that the dealership will be more eager to assist with the documentation for the warranty company since they are VERY familiar with the problem. I think Forum members Z.06 and Wolf8218 have had their car their for valve guide measurements and/or head replacement. There may be others. wjnjr had his heads replaced at parkway.

Ask for Russ Casteel at Mac Haik Chevy. I believe he handles all of that store's Corvette service & repairs.
I've recently been there for some minor warranty work.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=LFZ;1585357297]Here's a pic of jimman's odometer I took when it was at 169k

Sure was nice meeting you guys when we did our cross country trip. We had to cut it short and miss out on the Canada end. I had to go to Europe on Business and they moved it up a week so when we got to Illinois we headed south west, bummer. Pete, the C4 driver did do the Canada end and has some awsome photos.

Last edited by jimman; 11-05-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:15 PM
AmitZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My warranty is through VehicleOne. I will let you guys know what they say. I should know by tomorrow...pretty sure they will send someone out to check out the damage....

fingers crossed.

Also, I took my car to Late Model Racecraft in Houston. I wanted someone that was familiar with Corvettes to work on it, really don't have faith in these Chevrolet Service Departments.... Hopefully LMR can get this back and running with no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Blown engine!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AmitZ06
... really don't have faith in Chevrolet
fixed
Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Wow, thanks. It's very nice to see someone actually make an accurate determination of what caused the failure

Cheers, Paul.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any update OP?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Blown engine!