Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Replacing LS7 (and everything else under the hood), suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:36 PM
jbednarsh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replacing LS7 (and everything else under the hood), suggestions?

The engine on my '07 Z06 blew up causing a small fire under the hood which essentially took out all the internals in front of the firewall and above the suspension. No point in getting into the dramatics of how & why this happened, what's done is done.

We're going to replace the motor with a new crate LS7. Since I'm starting with a clean sheet, and suggestions on what else I might do in this process under the hood. Going forward, I think this will primarily be a track car for DE's, though will still need to drive back and forth. I'm not looking to make major changes for more power, I'll get more from upgrading my skills than I will upgrading the HP.

Also, I'm not really sure how this replacement stuff works - should I expect the new motor to work with the updated oil cooler/dry sump systems Chevy introduced after 2007 or do I need to specify this when ordering?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Despicable Z
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

If my LS7 ever goes out- this will be the route I take. I just had the heads reworked so I hope I never have to take this step but you never know:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...longblock.html

= no more LS7 gremlins

Didn't really answer your questions but thought I'd offer an alternative.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

I can sell you a pair of heads if you are piecing it together. Comes with good valves and springs. Needs guides.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:29 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jbednarsh
The engine on my '07 Z06 blew up causing a small fire under the hood which essentially took out all the internals in front of the firewall and above the suspension. No point in getting into the dramatics of how & why this happened, what's done is done.

We're going to replace the motor with a new crate LS7. Since I'm starting with a clean sheet, and suggestions on what else I might do in this process under the hood. Going forward, I think this will primarily be a track car for DE's, though will still need to drive back and forth. I'm not looking to make major changes for more power, I'll get more from upgrading my skills than I will upgrading the HP.

Also, I'm not really sure how this replacement stuff works - should I expect the new motor to work with the updated oil cooler/dry sump systems Chevy introduced after 2007 or do I need to specify this when ordering?

Thanks!
Good luck with getting it back on the road.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:35 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by wolf8218
I can sell you a pair of heads if you are piecing it together. Comes with good valves and springs. Needs guides.
How much for the heads?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by jbednarsh

Thanks!
Good luck with your new motor. I hope you got lots of good miles and track time out of your current motor. I lost mine on the track

DH
Old 10-23-2013, 03:57 AM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're interested, I've got a low mileage LS7 engine that's being freshened up (and the heads are improved). I'm building a large displacement RHS unit to go in it's place.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:02 AM
wolf8218
Drifting

Originally Posted by dcamick
How much for the heads?
I don't really know the going rate. Around 1500 sound right? They are in long term storage and need to be extracted by a family member. They are in Houston. Send me a PM with what you want to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing LS7 (and everything else under the hood), suggestions?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Replacing LS7 (and everything else under the hood), suggestions?