Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] To anyone who had there heads replaced by GM under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Wndotintman
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default To anyone who had there heads replaced by GM under warranty

If your car fails the wiggle test, what do they replace? The whole head or just castings? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just the valve guides that are worn---with the same OEM guides.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wndotintman
If your car fails the wiggle test, what do they replace? The whole head or just castings? Thanks.
I've heard of all the following:

1. Some dealers have replaced just the castings (come with the guides) plus whatever the shop that does the rebuild/reassembly work considers 'worn' (probably the exhaust valves if the stems are galled). In this case I have heard of owners paying out of pocket for new exhaust valves if the shop considers the old ones okay.

2. Some dealers replace the entire heads.

3. Some dealers send the heads out to a local shop for new guides (bronze, I'd imagine) and again, whatever parts the shop considers 'worn'.

#2 is probably the only one I'd be comfortable with.
#1 or #3 would be okay if I knew/trusted the shop and knew they would be using good parts.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

My 2008 Z06 (original owner ) just this last May with less than 10K miles failed the wiggle test, the dealer in my area(Able Chevy in Rio Vista) replaced both heads with new guides and valves 2 weeks before my warranty expired. Plus they gave me a rental car while my Z06 was at their dealership for the repairs.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Oskee,

I am having trouble understanding your sentence. New guides and valves or new head castings with new guides in the new castings and new valves assembled in the new castings with the old springs, rockers, etc?

Hopefully the new castings have better guide machining.

Being close to Abel you can check them in 10-15,000 miles and than hopefully relax.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:05 AM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 915 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

In my case, new heads and valves were sent to a local machine shop where the heads were blueprinted and assembled. The springs, retainers, and locks from the old heads were reused, everything else was new. The assembled heads were returned to my service dept. and installed on the car. The rocker arms and pushrods checked out OK and were reused. Cam and lifters looked OK and were left alone. New gaskets, head and header bolts, and an oil change finished it off. Fresh antifreeze too.

That was my experience, YMMV. Good luck.

Last edited by wjnjr; 10-17-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Oskee,

I am having trouble understanding your sentence. New guides and valves or new head castings with new guides in the new castings and new valves assembled in the new castings with the old springs, rockers, etc?

Being close to Abel you can check them in 10-15,000 miles and than hopefully relax.
I got new heads.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Although they ordered bare heads (p/n 12578450) for my replacement, they also ordered new intake and exhaust valves and assembled them at the dealer.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:27 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

New heads, valves, etc. Reused rockers since they were fine. Heads assembled by local machine shop.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Oskee,

Pkincy
My valves were so out of spec that they just replaced both heads with new replacement heads already assembled with all oem parts. I just hope that by GM honoring my warranty that I am not just rewinding the clock !!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:52 PM
bktmbill
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine replaced 1 year ago. 08z with 7700miles. Exhaust valve clearance >.010 on #1-4-5-7. yes car was loud { ticking noise} at 1800-2200rpm. Complete new set of heads were installed by dealer. They replaced exhaust rockers but reused intakes and pushrods also did cam inspection and said everything was ok. Car now has 13000 miles and runs strong and is very quiet. Biggest tell tale sign is how heavy the black goo on exhaust tips was compared to now. Will prob. do wiggle test in coming months and go from there.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Oskee
Pkincy
My valves were so out of spec that they just replaced both heads with new replacement heads already assembled with all oem parts. I just hope that by GM honoring my warranty that I am not just rewinding the clock !!
Mine too. Thanks Abel Chevrolet, Rich,Tony and their great Corvette mechanics for a fantastic job...
Old 10-18-2013, 12:04 AM
chrisfromalbany
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bktmbill
Biggest tell tale sign is how heavy the black goo on exhaust tips was compared to now. Will prob. do wiggle test in coming months and go from there.
so saying having alot of black goo on exhaust tips is bad sign? Never heard that before.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:54 AM
bktmbill
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just reporting my findings and experience. Maybe this is normal for some cars. Since heads were replaced its now just a grayish black soot that takes some elbow grease to remove compared to black gooey oil that used to be there.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My head castings, valves, and springs were replaced.

Originally Posted by GMuffley
Just the valve guides that are worn---with the same OEM guides.
Wrong.

Originally Posted by Mark200X

2. Some dealers replace the entire heads.
True, except for rocker arms and retainers. I saw them myself before they were put back in the car and they were fine.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:53 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
Mine too. Thanks Abel Chevrolet, Rich,Tony and their great Corvette mechanics for a fantastic job...
As I recall, my car was being serviced just after 2k Cobra picked up his. Regarding mine, the replacement heads were sent bare. My original valves, springs, etc were inspected and swapped over by a local and trusted machine shop who had the valve stem/guide diameter specs. Seats were ground to match the valves and all guide measurements were checked on the new heads before assembly.

Now I know what everyone is referring to when they said it should sound like a sewing machine. Prior to getting the work done, my car has had a tick since new. I had just under 19,000 miles and, when inspected, 4 exhaust valve guides were found to be excessive: #2@.009, #3@.007, #4@.006 and #5@.008.

I only have just over 4,000 miles on the new heads since then, but it still sounds like a sewing machine. I'm extremely thankful for the crew at Abel.

Get notified of new replies

To To anyone who had there heads replaced by GM under warranty

Quick Reply: [Z06] To anyone who had there heads replaced by GM under warranty