Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] CHE Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 12:27 AM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CHE Rockers

Anyone notice their CHE Rockers contribute to their LS7 valvetrain noise?

Pulled a cover today and since the rockers have a little side to side tolerance between the clips, you can slide them sideways rapidly with your fingers. They make a nice click noise which appears to be a tap on either side of the pedestal if you move them side to side. Which the head so nicely amplifies.

That coupled with the GMPP race lifters, she's not the quietest LS engine I've had. At least the WCCH heads with stock valves are quiet.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BFST
Anyone notice their CHE Rockers contribute to their LS7 valvetrain noise?

Pulled a cover today and since the rockers have a little side to side tolerance between the clips, you can slide them sideways rapidly with your fingers. They make a nice click noise which appears to be a tap on either side of the pedestal if you move them side to side. Which the head so nicely amplifies.

That coupled with the GMPP race lifters, she's not the quietest LS engine I've had. At least the WCCH heads with stock valves are quiet.
I found that the CHE rockers quieted things some down for me.

I run SS valves and dual springs.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:45 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

I'm really curious to see the long term survive-ability of the CHEs. "Typically" a bushed rocker requires more lubrication than a needle bearing rocker, as the LS motors were designed for. With several other major MFRs, a bushed rocker is a major downgrade from a needle bearing rocker. Take my 482" Ford 427 side-oiler for instance.

By no means am I saying that IMO the CHEs are bad, just wanting to see long term results.

It's funny that you say that you have more noise with the CHEs as that "could" be a symptom of increased rocker-to-shaft clearances. I guess time will tell.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Stage Runner
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '06 quicksilver z06
i found that the che rockers quieted things some down for me.

I run ss valves and dual springs.
x2.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:20 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

I have the 'other' trunion upgrade, my opinion on noise, no worst, no better but I don't worry about needle bearing issues. for the record, I have PRC heads, Ti intake, SS exh.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:40 AM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BFST
At least the WCCH heads with stock valves are quiet.
Not for everyone.. including myself. If you do a bit of reading, some folks complain of similar valve train noise after having the WCCH heads put on the car. Mine sounds about the same to be honest. It's been said a million times so I'll beat the dead horse here.. (most) sound does not indicate having/not having a problem.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:09 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Undy
I'm really curious to see the long term survive-ability of the CHEs. "Typically" a bushed rocker requires more lubrication than a needle bearing rocker, as the LS motors were designed for. With several other major MFRs, a bushed rocker is a major downgrade from a needle bearing rocker. Take my 482" Ford 427 side-oiler for instance.

By no means am I saying that IMO the CHEs are bad, just wanting to see long term results.

It's funny that you say that you have more noise with the CHEs as that "could" be a symptom of increased rocker-to-shaft clearances. I guess time will tell.
At this point, I have no reason to believe that the CHEs are making any noise while the engine is running. I made to many changes (caddy lifters, milled heads, shorter pushrods, CHE rocker upgrade, etc) to say they are making noise. I just happened to notice that there is a few mil side to side that I can slide them (left and right between the retainer clips) with my fingers and it makes a nice clicking noise which seems to be amplified by the rocker head pedestal. They have absolutely no other axis slop like the stock rockers did in any direction that would even indicate any bushing wear.

I'll try to get a short video clip next time.

This is a better question for those who upgraded to CHE rockers without any other change.

And yes, overall, everything is much quieter now than before.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:15 PM
TT32VGT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here, wcch heads, manley dual springs, che rockers.. much MORE quiet then stock IMO
Old 10-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Z06LINK
Instructor

Been running mine for more than 4 years. I think they are quieter than stock.

Get notified of new replies

To CHE Rockers

Quick Reply: [Z06] CHE Rockers