Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Blew the engine!!! :-(

Old 11-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
The LS7, a "racing engine" not meant for racing.
Thousands would disagree with your moronic statement.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by wolf8218
Sometimes this forum is just horrid.
All too often. A handful of morons ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Wulverine
How many people that race the LS7, properly maintain it as a race engine?
Thank you. Great point.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by kotik
So i'm sorry, how is this normal? What is this, 1950's? Modern cars should take a beating without skipping a beat! ESPECIALLY z06! Again I'm scared to drive it... I track twice a month, that's not a lot! but i guess compared to garage queens it is. I don't understand how this was never addressed by GM. Should come with a sticker "Only good for 50k miles".
And I know a guy that blew up a Ferrari and went out and bought a new Z06 so he could finish up his weekend of racing.

I also know a guy that blew up an M5.

If you knew squat about racing (I've been racing since the early 1980's) you'd know that regularly raced engines need refreshing from time to time.

I autocrossed today, one guy there had an 08 Z06 that he bought new, had 11K miles on it, almost all of them track miles!

Another guy had a Mazda, he blew an engine.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
True, but I'm not saying every engine will fail, but that every engine will show excessive wear if inspected. Electronic components will show excessive noise etc.

That GM redesigned the rings to cover ALL C5's is an indication they understood that the problem affected ALL C5's. Otherwise, they would have done exactly what they are doing with the LS7, wait for the problem engines to expose themselves through symptoms, and then correct under warranty or "good will".
Actually they didn't redesign to because the problem affected all C5s. The problem never existed until they redesigned the rings for the 2001 model year. Then they had these yo yo's who like to buzz their engine under no load conditions making warranty claims because their engine was burning oil. Normal drivers and track drivers never saw the issue since they didn't use the engine that way.

The short term fix was to ship a new set of rings to the dealer who then proceeded to replace one ring per piston without honing the cylinder. Can't remember which ring they replaced but I think it was the oil ring and the other two were thrown away. Subsequent years got the newer version of the oil ring which was only done to account for the yo yo's. Sometimes they have to solve a problem that really doesn't exist in normal usage of an engine.

Bill
Old 11-03-2013, 06:33 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I can tell you didn't own a 2001 C5Z06 did you?

Many burned oil from the day they were delivered. Frankly I didn't think a quart to a quart and a half a thousand miles was worth having someone pull apart my motor so did nothing about it. I recall that the GM mantra was more than a quart a 1000 miles before they would even talk to you. And it may have been higher as my 1-1.5 quarts a month really didn't qualify as my imperfect memories recall.

My solution was to sell it and enjoy my 40th and my two Camaros, which seems to be the solution of some of the C6Z06 owners.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

I had an 04 Z06 and loved it. I now have an 07 Z06 and love it even more.

A guy at the autocross today might have blown his good old SB Chevy. He said if he did, no problem he's rebuilt it twice before. So now I suppose the most popular motor ever is junk? Yesterday a Mazda broke a valve spring and the valve hit a piston bending it. Probably his fault for using the same springs for too long, but I didn't ask.

I doubt I will ever blow an engine because I won't race it for 5 years and never perform common sense maintenance to it. If you can't afford to maintain it, you can't afford to own it or race it.

Valve springs on a 7,100 RPM high performance motor get weak. We all know the guides are a weak point.

If you just DD it, get a GMPP warranty and sleep well if you're worried, I'm not. If you race it, once every other season pull the heads and have new springs and guides installed.

I don't see what the hell is so complicated about it, seems like common sense to me.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach62
[...] I don't see what the hell is so complicated about it, seems like common sense to me.
The complication is that somehow there is a guide issue and a lot of people are butthurt that they have to address it. Therefore the engine is junk, the engineers are idiots, and GM is involved in some grand conspiracy involving outside vendors as well as the President of the United States.

Personally I blame talk radio
Old 11-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
I can tell you didn't own a 2001 C5Z06 did you?

Many burned oil from the day they were delivered. Frankly I didn't think a quart to a quart and a half a thousand miles was worth having someone pull apart my motor so did nothing about it. I recall that the GM mantra was more than a quart a 1000 miles before they would even talk to you. And it may have been higher as my 1-1.5 quarts a month really didn't qualify as my imperfect memories recall.

My solution was to sell it and enjoy my 40th and my two Camaros, which seems to be the solution of some of the C6Z06 owners.
The vast majority never burned a drop. It still seems operator specific as the people I know that have 01s haven't had any issues.

Bill
Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Mark200X
The complication is that somehow there is a guide issue and a lot of people are butthurt that they have to address it. Therefore the engine is junk, the engineers are idiots, and GM is involved in some grand conspiracy involving outside vendors as well as the President of the United States.

I've talked to 3 dealerships locally who have never seen a bad valve. I've talked to a number of speed shops that specialize in LS engines, they all have said this is way overblown.

But - you are an internet expert so I bow down.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:30 PM
gaklid
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.....as well as the President of the United States.
Name:  cX77fHG.gif
Views: 13
Size:  910.1 KB
Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach62

[1] I've talked to 3 dealerships locally who have never seen a bad valve. I've talked to a number of speed shops that specialize in LS engines, they all have said this is way overblown.

[2] But - you are an internet expert so I bow down.
1. At this point anyone who denies the guide wear issue is out of the loop, in denial, or in the case of GM dealers quite possibly lying. The lack of a blown engine does not necessarily equate to a lack of excessive guide wear in the engine, and excessive guide wear does not necessarily equate to a blown engine (yet). Unless the dealerships or speed shops you mentioned are checking guide wear, they they are quite simply making a statement ("overblown") based upon ignorance.

2. Other than the first sentence, my post was sarcasm intended to be humorous.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:14 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Actually they didn't redesign to because the problem affected all C5s. The problem never existed until they redesigned the rings for the 2001 model year. Then they had these yo yo's who like to buzz their engine under no load conditions making warranty claims because their engine was burning oil. Normal drivers and track drivers never saw the issue since they didn't use the engine that way.

The short term fix was to ship a new set of rings to the dealer who then proceeded to replace one ring per piston without honing the cylinder. Can't remember which ring they replaced but I think it was the oil ring and the other two were thrown away. Subsequent years got the newer version of the oil ring which was only done to account for the yo yo's. Sometimes they have to solve a problem that really doesn't exist in normal usage of an engine.

Bill
Bill,

I had a new 2001 and it burned/used (don't know which, but it went somewhere and was NOT on the floor of the garage.)

I had the DIC warning several times between oil changes on that vehicle. It would be 'over' two quarts low. And I did not abuse that vehicle. The oil gauge would show normal pressure.

I also had coolant warning in DIC appear several times, but the coolant level would be normal. If I stopped the engine, and re-started it it would go away and nothing was found at stealership.

On the oil problem, I had voiced this issue to service dept early on (under 10k miles) and they said at that point one qt between oil chabges was normal.

However, the problem got much worse as the mileage increased and of course, it was then out of warranty. (before the 5/100 came out.)

I sold it at 60k miles because I feared total engine failure because as the mileage increased, so did the oil use (two qts at a time).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Blew the engine!!! :-(